News Oh wow, oh heavy, heavy, heavy - Lachie Neale trade thread (5, 19 & 55 for Neale & 30)

Hey folks - first of all, congrats on picking up Lachie, he's a class act on and off field.

He's understated but will add strength to your club and strong standards. Back when he was first drafted he had bullet like handballs that he'd shoot out from the bottom of packs. Definitely a strong clearance player and accumulator who will bob up consistently with a snap goal from a forward 50 stoppage.

I've followed him since draft, and along the way also put together some Q&As that might be worth reading to give you insight into Lachie, and also the people he surrounds himself with

Have a read if you're interested -

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/q-a-lachie-neale-s-manager.1094547/
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/q-a-with-tim-lawrence-lachies-manager-chapter-2.1138597/
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/q-a-with-tim-lawrence-lachies-manager-chapter-iii.1196638/

In any case, take good care of him please :) He's one of the good ones

Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I could see him captaining the club in the future. Most likely not this year but after a year with the group I see no reason why he wouldn’t be a standout candidate. He would be alongside Andrews in the running for it and there’s plenty of other young players who show a lot of leadership as well.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Maybe, but I just can't come to the idea of a player coming in ahead of our established players and taking on the captaincy. I said at the time when we gave Beams the job that I preferred Zorko......although I was happy to have him, it just didn't sit right for quite a while.

Any future captain should be imo from our young ones who have been with the club from their get go..

Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Maybe, but I just can't come to the idea of a player coming in ahead of our established players and taking on the captaincy. I said at the time when we gave Beams the job that I preferred Zorko......although I was happy to have him, it just didn't sit right for quite a while.

Any future captain should be imo from our young ones who have been with the club from their get go..

I mean, it’s not great to not give the captaincy to someone just because another team drafted them. I’m not suggesting Beale gets it straight away but I wouldn’t be surprised if he does somehow get it after a year or more at the club.

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hey folks - first of all, congrats on picking up Lachie, he's a class act on and off field.

He's understated but will add strength to your club and strong standards. Back when he was first drafted he had bullet like handballs that he'd shoot out from the bottom of packs. Definitely a strong clearance player and accumulator who will bob up consistently with a snap goal from a forward 50 stoppage.

I've followed him since draft, and along the way also put together some Q&As that might be worth reading to give you insight into Lachie, and also the people he surrounds himself with

Have a read if you're interested -

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/q-a-lachie-neale-s-manager.1094547/
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/q-a-with-tim-lawrence-lachies-manager-chapter-2.1138597/
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/q-a-with-tim-lawrence-lachies-manager-chapter-iii.1196638/

In any case, take good care of him please :) He's one of the good ones
Out of curiosity how did you and the other Freo fans feel about Bell's performance in the first week. It looked from the outside that words were spoken over the weekend and the posturing stopped, then they just got down to making things work. Is that how Freo fans saw it?

Out of curiosity how did you and the other Freo fans feel about Bell's performance in the first week. It looked from the outside that words were spoken over the weekend and the posturing stopped, then they just got down to making things work. Is that how Freo fans saw it?

Everyone has a different view of how it all went, and in the end it's just our opinions which don't matter. I think the main thing we all want is for our clubs to get s**t done and move in the right direction. I think we've done that (although I would have preferred keeping Neale)

daybas1

Draftee
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle

Not really, we saw the way he played it as a firm hand of poker - he's a game theorist. Belly is a trained lawyer, a past captain and premiership player. He's smart both off and on the field. He's a very contained individual, not prone to outbursts. So whatever he did or said was thought through and considered. I half think that the Vic media had to spin it that way otherwise they would have to recant their extreme statements during the week about him and Rosich being out of their depth, incompetent etc which, as the trade results have shown, were far from the case.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
All the jokes about Bell although end of the day I think they did the best out of the draft. Maybe someone said pull your head in.. Maybe he just played it well.
If they got Kelly for 14 would of been a amazing draft for them. Neale is a big loss although they brought in good players.
Side note really instead of nominating clubs if you want to go home. Maybe change the rules you can only nominate the state.
We would of got more for Beams and Cats for Kelly

FFB1

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boronia Hawks
CLEARANCE monster Lachie Neale says Brisbane’s ability to score in the defence orientated AFL was one of the major attractions that led to his move to the Lions.

Neale said he began to watch the Lions closely after his manager told him they had made casual enquiries about his plans once he came out of contract in 2020.

The closer he watched the more he liked what he saw and the idea grew that he would be open to an early move if the planets aligned.

Although it took to the final day of the trade period, Brisbane and Fremantle finally reached an agreement to send the dual best and fairest winner to the Gabba on a five-year deal worth about $4 million.

“Watching from afar I was pretty impressed about the way they had gone about it, they play a really exciting brand of footy’’ Neale said.

“The players seem like they are on the same page, playing for each other and the spirit on the field is very impressive.

“I had a look at the list and they have a lot of kids coming through in the 19-22 bracket, guys like (Jarrod) Berry, (Cam) Rayner is obviously exciting, they have a big group of young players who are going to be great players.

“Their defensive game style improved a lot this year and that will only get better.

“And it is hard to score in the AFL and Brisbane are one side that can score, that was exciting for me too.’’

When news broke mid-season that Brisbane were interested and the deal may happen this year, other clubs made similar enquiries.

But Neale said once he’d met the Lions he considered no one else.

“I met the staff and they were all really great people and supportive of myself and my partner, Jules, the people involved in the organisation got me across the line,’’ Neale said.

“Once I met Brisbane I thought I didn’t really need to meet anyone else.’’

The question that has Dockers fans puzzled is what went wrong at Fremantle.

“I am not going to delve too much into the reasons behind it, I just want to say I am a really good fit at Brisbane and I am excited about joining them,’’ he said.

“I have no bad words about Fremantle, I couldn’t speak highly enough of them, they gave me the chance to live out my dream and I hope they do well.’’

However he is a laid kid from Bordertown on the South Australia-Victoria border and admits he was attracted to life in Queensland outside the footy bubble.

“That is really a feeling for me as well, it is pretty footy crazy over here and I have had my fair share of media attention lately,’’ he said.

“It is important to me that once training and games are over you can be Lachie Neale the person instead of the footballer.’

Those comments tend to make me think he isn’t a fan of the Ross Lyon game plan either.

I've read a lot of comments from footy commentators/people that give fagan credit for playing an entertaining game. Along the lines of fagan recognises that Afl is part of the entertainment industry and makes sure fans get entertained even when we lose. Can't see us every playing a defensive shut down game like freo.

And for forwards and goal kicking mids that's really attractive.

Not really, we saw the way he played it as a firm hand of poker - he's a game theorist. Belly is a trained lawyer, a past captain and premiership player. He's smart both off and on the field. He's a very contained individual, not prone to outbursts. So whatever he did or said was thought through and considered. I half think that the Vic media had to spin it that way otherwise they would have to recant their extreme statements during the week about him and Rosich being out of their depth, incompetent etc which, as the trade results have shown, were far from the case.
Fair enough although he admitted last night after the dust had settled that the "feather in the cap" comment wasn't his best moment.

Fair enough although he admitted last night after the dust had settled that the "feather in the cap" comment wasn't his best moment.

Good on Bell. He was able to laugh at some of his antics but I reckon he'll be better for it. He was thrown into the deep end.

More like bomb dived while whooping very loudly. Lots of splash, but very little style.

At least he admitted his mistakes and was able to laugh at himself.

“I met the staff and they were all really great people and supportive of myself and my partner, Jules, the people involved in the organisation got me across the line,’’ Neale said.
That’s a glowing endorsement for the footy club!
As long as we continue to progress in the coming year, there will be others that follow!

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
CLEARANCE monster Lachie Neale says Brisbane’s ability to score in the defence orientated AFL was one of the major attractions that led to his move to the Lions.

Neale said he began to watch the Lions closely after his manager told him they had made casual enquiries about his plans once he came out of contract in 2020.

The closer he watched the more he liked what he saw and the idea grew that he would be open to an early move if the planets aligned.

Although it took to the final day of the trade period, Brisbane and Fremantle finally reached an agreement to send the dual best and fairest winner to the Gabba on a five-year deal worth about $4 million.

“Watching from afar I was pretty impressed about the way they had gone about it, they play a really exciting brand of footy’’ Neale said.

“The players seem like they are on the same page, playing for each other and the spirit on the field is very impressive.

“I had a look at the list and they have a lot of kids coming through in the 19-22 bracket, guys like (Jarrod) Berry, (Cam) Rayner is obviously exciting, they have a big group of young players who are going to be great players.

“Their defensive game style improved a lot this year and that will only get better.

“And it is hard to score in the AFL and Brisbane are one side that can score, that was exciting for me too.’’

When news broke mid-season that Brisbane were interested and the deal may happen this year, other clubs made similar enquiries.

“Once I met Brisbane I thought I didn’t really need to meet anyone else.’’

The question that has Dockers fans puzzled is what went wrong at Fremantle.

“I am not going to delve too much into the reasons behind it, I just want to say I am a really good fit at Brisbane and I am excited about joining them,’’ he said.

“I have no bad words about Fremantle, I couldn’t speak highly enough of them, they gave me the chance to live out my dream and I hope they do well.’’

However he is a laid kid from Bordertown on the South Australia-Victoria border and admits he was attracted to life in Queensland outside the footy bubble.

“That is really a feeling for me as well, it is pretty footy crazy over here and I have had my fair share of media attention lately,’’ he said.

“It is important to me that once training and games are over you can be Lachie Neale the person instead of the footballer.’
Read this article this morning and did put a smile on my face. If there ever was a sales pitch for others to come to the Lions it is this article which highlights a number of different things as selling points; high-scoring game style, tight playing group and playing for each other, improvement in defence, the right people in the right roles and out of the 'footy bubble'. It's articles like this which will help bring others here. Go Lions.

Back