Game Day Oh yeah it's on

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheers for saying hi the other day mate.
Seeya for a beer at the footy.

Was nice running into you- Took a couple of goes as I asked anyone holding a beer if they were you. Of course you weren't holding a beer so that threw me somewhat. And absolutely would love to catch up for a beer at the footy.

As it stands, I'd go....

Wright Thompson Firrito
Atley Tarrant McDonald

Goldstein Cunnington Swallow
Higgins Wells Macmillan

Harvey Waite Zeibell
Thomas Petrie Brown

Dal Santo Anderson Jacobs Garner

Mullet Clarke Gibson Hansen Turner Dumont all close.
You got it in one.

North Melbourne’s intra-club clash was on for young and old
February 14, 2016 8:00pm
SAM EDMUNDHerald Sun

4efb4049d32c9c9223ff9fdb2ebfc1e2

The under-25s had to slum it in community changerooms. Picture: Michael Klein

IT’S 1pm on a warm February afternoon and we’ve only been at Arden St for a few minutes when it hits us.

Perhaps it’s the North Melbourne players arriving with heads down and earphones in. Maybe it’s because they’re not talking to each other. It could be because we’re still more than two hours out from the first bounce.

Whatever it is, it’s clear this isn’t your normal intra-club match.

This feels different.

The over-25s are about to face the under-25s in the Kangaroos’ last full-scale dress-rehearsal before the NAB Challenge begins and the Herald Sun has been invited to peak behind the curtains.

The teams have been preparing separately and the banter has been flowing. The ‘youngies’ haven’t forgotten about the ‘oldies’ taking their bin of balls and replacing it with rubbish before their training session.

v1

“The mind games started early,” Lindsay Thomas says.

The over-25s have played the ‘respect your elders card’ too, given they’ve scored the large changerooms and regular medical/physio facilities.

“The young boys think they’ve got it over us,” full-back Scott Thompson says.

“Hopefully we can put that to bed today.”

Asked who was responsible for the bin sabotaging, Thompson says: “It was someone older than me ... maybe the oldest at the club.”

Brent Harvey doesn’t even try to deny it.

“We’re going to stick it up them I reckon,” he says.

51fadbc92f9a2d3422dd091b26d748f8

Coach Leigh Tudor addresses the over-25s at quarter-time. Picture: Michael Klein
Drew Petrie is getting strapped and Todd Goldstein is getting an elbow driven into his hip. Daniel Wells is strolling around the room and looks noticeably slimmer.

The over-25s move to the gym — they’ve got access to that too — for an “activation session” in a bid to turn on their bodies and minds.

A couple of Werribee top-up players are introduced to the group. Recruit Farren Ray, who crossed from St Kilda in the off-season, gets a few laughs introducing himself again.

“It’s all about bragging rights today,” Ray says.

We don’t need to ask where the under-25s are — you can hear the music pumping through the brick walls. Their changerooms might be small, but in a nod to youthful exuberance, their confidence is anything but.

“They’re definitely nervous,” Jamie Macmillan says of his older colleagues down the hall.

“We tried to make a little bet just before, but Andrew Swallow and ‘Boomer’ didn’t want a bar of it.

“We always say that it’s the young guys that make this footy club and today we’ll prove it.”

Jack Ziebell is about to play his first game since having shoulder surgery at the end of last season.

“Obviously they’re a bit more experienced ...” Ziebell starts before he’s interrupted.

Jarrad Waite has stuck his head through the door and into enemy territory.

“Horse! Horse!” Waite yells, trying to get the attention of Macmillan.

“Do you have the nail clippers?”

The question is genuine, but so is the abuse fired in Waite’s direction. He is told to go forth and leave.

ecd598de294b0ce7349c417e6bd7d571

Majak Daw and Drew Petrie contest a boundary throw-in. Picture: Michael Klein
Out on the ground, the under-25s break from their huddle with a roar that can be heard from the boundary line.

It takes 20 seconds to confirm that this is no kick and giggle confrontation.

Lachie Hansen is smashed by Ben Brown in the game’s first marking contest and leaves for medical treatment.

The youngsters start brightly. Ben Cunnington comes to the bench for Ziebell.

“Don’t let them push you around,” Cunnington says.

But the tide has already started to turn in favour of the veterans, whose midfield of Wells, Harvey and Nick Dal Santo is causing problems.

A forward line consisting of Petrie, Waite, Lindsay Thomas and Robin Nahas is also proving a handful.

“We’re not working back hard enough,” Sam Wright yells.

Harvey takes a mark, but he’s a long way out. Not a long kick at the best of times, his teammates are all over him.

“Watch the short option”, one barks.

“He likes the little one,” another yells.

When Harvey bangs the goal through he runs off yapping: “Not too bad for an old bloke.”

The oldies have got a taste for it now. Petrie comes off the long run to take out Cunnington.

“Piss weak, Drew,” a voice booms out.

48e1a02616e41d100ff425c6be050b9a

Will Fordham enjoys a pre-game massage. Picture: Michael Klein
There’s aggro everywhere. Waite is getting stuck into rookie Will Fordham and later, lines up Wright, who responds by giving him one in the stomach.

Cunnington has come back to the bench.

“What about ‘Drewie’ lining you up?” someone asks him. The rugged onballer shakes his head before replying quietly: “I got ‘Boomer’ though”.

Not hard enough, it would seem, because the ageless Energiser bunny is in everything. As is Wells, who has helped himself to four goals in the first half.

Along with former Hawk Jed Anderson’s mark and running goal for the under-25s, they are the talking points of a match the veterans win by 29 points.

“One for the old blokes,” Michael Firrito says walking off the ground.

To Firrito’s left, Wright is trudging towards the boundary line.

“Everyone’s competitive and you get out there and one thing leads to another,” Wright says.

“I had a run-in with (Waite) — everyone saw that. I think they went into the game trying to get under our skin and it probably worked in the end. They’re the old dogs.”

But come the season proper, Wright and company will be hoping it’s a case of ‘old dogs, new tricks’ in the pursuit of a premiership.

sam.edmund@news.com.au

5d71f825f62e515800fda9003e6d17c7

Brent Harvey warms up alone with the ball. Picture: Michael Klein

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...d/news-story/ff7e7294d1247210ce8ebccdd54408fb

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should wear it as a badge of honour and say he earnt it for the other reason
I can just see it... Jamie trying to use it in a club as a pick-up line and Atley coming up and ruining it with the truth at the last second

Trade was Anderson, pick 38 & 40 from Hawthorn for our pick 15.

We then traded 38 and 40 to Brisbane with Bastinac 34 & 53 and got picks 17, 26, 28 and 47 which after compensations and the weird new draft system ended up as 21, 31, 33, 43.

A lot of shuffling around in the end but I think Anderson, McKay, Clarke, Hibberd, Wagner and Mountford (only pick we didn't trade/swap) overall was a decent haul.

Collingwood lost 26, 28, 47 and St Kilda's 2016 second round selection for Aish, 34 and 53. Aish is potentially worth it, although he hadn't shown a great deal at the Lions. Best of luck to him.

Might help he is somewhere he wants to be and is Happy. Shown some Promising Signs in the Intra-Club and NAB 1

Guess you not being a Collingwood Fan you did not watch him as Closely was we did

I was working with a Collingwood supporter this week and he braught it up to tell you the truth. Said he expected more.

He'll be ok but he's a long way off before he comes good. I'd suggest patience with skinny outside players in a youngish side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back