Oi! It’s an actual racing track…F1 Azerbaijan 2021.

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
10k Posts Koala SFA State of Origin Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A. Pantskyle SFA Fight For MND SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Brisbane Dolphins Player - BFFCL BFFCL Club Captain Blue Mountain Bounders Player - BFFCL
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1
Just found out it was Horner that suggested the red flag so everyone could put new tires on and avoid another blowout. Credit where it’s due thats a great call.

Acinath

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
4659A0F9-2AE1-4584-83FD-9F0939A364ED.jpeg

ptrg

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 19, 2008
Space Mountain
AFL Club
Melbourne
.... I predicted all of that.
Can honestly say I predicted more tyres going pop after Strolls (and the fact that no teams would even consider an extra pit to cover off the possibility), and also Vettel to podium (nice $500 payoff).
Only thing that surprised me was that no drivers really outside the top 10 gambled on starting on hards - as a safety car very early on would of put them in a great position due to everyone effectively needing to stop again (assuming top 10 would all dive into the pits)

Think stroll did this but pushed the limits a bit too far.

I get why it's a bad thing tyres go pop, but it occurs every few seasons, and seems to keep teams honest from that point/change their mentality to pitting and risk, and stops them taking the piss so much by getting their one pit stop out of the way so early on.

They showed Hamilton and Perezs tyre life 4 laps before Max's went pop, and both had rears at "10%".. What do they actually expect the tyres to do at 0%?

Last edited:

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
10k Posts Koala SFA State of Origin Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A. Pantskyle SFA Fight For MND SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Brisbane Dolphins Player - BFFCL BFFCL Club Captain Blue Mountain Bounders Player - BFFCL
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1
They showed Hamilton and Perezs tyre life 4 laps before Max's went pop, and both had rears at "10%".. What do they actually expect the tyres to do at 0%?

Pirelli said the hard tyres would last 40 laps though and they popped after 30-35 in both Stroll and Verstappen's case, that's on Pirelli at that point.

jabba5114

Premiership Player
Jan 23, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Didnt they have big tire failures on the straight at the first or second Baku race? Kinda remember a williams and possibly was stroll in it the time as well.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Don't think i can recall a bigger donkey effort than that from Spam

And i hope Mick *en SORTED nikita in the pits after that, that's " I just pissed on your shoes, what ya gunna do about it ?" - stuff

Didnt they have big tire failures on the straight at the first or second Baku race? Kinda remember a williams and possibly was stroll in it the time as well.

That was carbon fibre puncturing the Bottas tire, wasn't it?

He said he was angry because he was being overtaken after the race

His quote:
Mazepin revealed that he ran out of battery as he came towards the finish line, causing his straight-line speed to drop and leaving him frustrated to lose the place.

“The main thing is I’m a little bit upset about losing my position to the teammate on the main straight,” Mazepin said.

“I ran out of battery there, so I was a bit of a sitting passenger, but it is what it is.”

listening to Vettel laugh over the radio made me smile
Was funny how he had spare new slicks for the restart because he just missed out on Q3.

Great to see a different looking podium... even though bad luck for Max with his tyres, but was good to see Lewis overcook his restart keeping the Championship in the balance.

Hopefully ADR becomes happier with his McLaren soon.

ptrg

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 19, 2008
Space Mountain
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pirelli said the hard tyres would last 40 laps though and they popped after 30-35 in both Stroll and Verstappen's case, that's on Pirelli at that point.
Ideally next race onwards, Pirelli say "they will only last a conservative 30 laps- plan you strategies around that. Any more and you are test pilots :)"
Would make the racing more exciting and bring in much more pit strategy

Pirelli are saying for now that debris caused both tires to deflate.
Will know more once they have them back in their lab

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
I posted at the time I thought I saw a piece of debris in the air before the Verstappen wobble and crash.
The shot was a slow mo down low, not the high shot they continued to use after the incident.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
What else are they going to say?

I'd say it'd be interesting to see how they explain the tread ripping away from the sidewall being due to debris, but I don't think I care enough to pay attention for whenever their report comes out

I posted at the time I thought I saw a piece of debris in the air before the Verstappen wobble and crash.
The shot was a slow mo down low, not the high shot they continued to use after the incident.
Saw that at the time. they showed that angle twice.
You could see the tire deflate and start to like skid marks on the track as the debris bounced away to the middle left of the shot

Honestly can't remember. I vaguely remember a williams on the straight. Cant seem to find anything about it

Bottas lost the 2018 race when his back right tire blew

Back