Ok, enough time has passed. Steve Johnson...

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Great career, yadda yadda yadda.

And i mean that with genuine respect.

But enough is enough!

Far out, what a debacle his selection was in the finals!

6 in junk time against a cooked Eagles, but then what can only be described as one of the most awful finals games of all time on Saturday arvo!

The media are tip toe' ing around it for whatever reason (maybe fair enough?) but enough time has passed since the weekend to call it for what it was - a disastrous error by Leon Cameron to select Steve Johnson!

It was Trainwreck stuff. The dude can't hold a tackle, can't run and can't kick 35m!

Who in their right mind would select him for a Preliminary final?

Almost in that decision alone, Cameron cost himself the chance to be a premiership coach.

And J mean that with genuine respect.

But far out, what a debacle his selection was in the finals!

6 in junk time against a cooked Eagles, but then what can only be described as one of the most awful finals games of all time on Saturday arvo!

The media are tip toe ing around it for whatever reason (maybe fair enough?) but enough time has passed since the weekend to call it for what it was - a disastrous error by Leon Cameron to select Steve Johnson!

It was Trainwreck stuff. The dude can't hold a tackle, can't run and can't kick 35m!

Almost in that decision alone, Cameron cost himself the chance to be a premiership coach.
I wouldn't blame the selection of Johnson for the result yesterday. There are others who could equally be blamed like Delidio

Wouldve been hard to drop after 6 goals and his finals record but yeh I agree he has been cooked for most the year and I got the feeling hed struggle this week when things arent all going the giants way.

One of his tackling efforts was particularly shithouse. Embarrassing.

Can't really blame Cameron for playing him after the semi. Chris Scott got whacked for dropping menzel for the qualifying final.

Johnson embarrassed himself and it wasn't unexpected to see his media connections hush it over.

Was a gun back in the day.

Wasn't the reason why they lost but the game was close enough that 1 good performance instead of 1 terrible performance could've shifted a few things along the way and all of a sudden it's a different game.

3 big things replacing Stevie J could've done:

1. The Tigers backline looked shaky with the ball on several occasions. Houli, McIntosh, Rance et al had bad turnovers. Replace a witches hat with another chasing and pressuring player and all of a sudden those turnovers increase in numbers and become costly.

2. Then there's the times Stevie turned it over including the chances in the 3rd quarter where the Giants just needed a steadier or two as they got in the first half on multiple occasions to quieten the crowd.

3. He shirked contests by being unwilling to stand under some kicks and that stuff is contagious especially with some of the Giants players. When an experienced player doesn't want to lead the way it makes it too easy for younger guys to pick and choose too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wasn’t th reason why GWS lost! He announced his retirement already and it was his final game!
The giants were let down by several others! Suck it up and move on to next year!

The General Patton stunk it up big time.

You know what they say; looks like Tarzan?

Can't believe geelong didn't get rid of him for 2 first rounders when gws first came knocking. Coach is too blame for selection, if he had any balls he would of dropped him.

And i mean that with genuine respect.

But enough is enough!

Far out, what a debacle his selection was in the finals!

The media are tip toe' ing around it for whatever reason (maybe fair enough?) but enough time has passed since the weekend to call it for what it was - a disastrous error by Leon Cameron to select Steve Johnson!

Naah
And his tetitement was announced befire the finals. Not sure of your point. Leon doesn't get the benefit of hindsight, and it's over. Time to move on

Can't believe geelong didn't get rid of him for 2 first rounders when gws first came knocking. Coach is too blame for selection, if he had any balls he would of dropped him.
You cant actually dro a player if they didn't play in the previous game, dont you?

It wasn't 2 first rounders, that's a myth, it was 1 first rounder. I think pick 7 if I remember correctly. Still pick 7 would have been a steal given how quickly father time hit Stevie and the fact we delisted him 12 months later.

It wasn't 2 first rounders, that's a myth, it was 1 first rounder. I think pick 7 if I remember correctly. Still pick 7 would have been a steal given how quickly father time hit Stevie and the fact we delisted him 12 months later.

This is the worst list management decision the club has made this millennium. Unforgivable.

The media are tip toe' ing around it for whatever reason (maybe fair enough?) but enough time has passed since the weekend to call it for what it was - a disastrous error by Leon Cameron to select Steve Johnson!.
The obsession the Vic footy media had over him in recent weeks was something else, as if he was going to be the pivotal player of the GWS success.

Toby Greene was always going to be far more important for Richmond to stop; never could see Johnson being a factor. Looked finished all year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back