Ok, enough time has passed. Steve Johnson...

Sedat!

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Weird timing for this thread. If after R23 would be understandable.

Deledio was far worse than Stevie J in the PF, and at least Stevie had one contributing game in the last few weeks. Deledio should have had a line put through him for 2017 instead of being persisted with when he was so compromised physically for 8 consecutive weeks - if he was a no name rookie he would never have been selected, let alone continue to be played for 2 months despite contributing absolutely nothing.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
look at the big picture.
He was dropped do play Adelaide, they get flogged, then he trains well enough to get selected.
Comes in the next week and kicks 6.
Pretty hard to drop don't you think?

No.

Mark Williams was right in his assessment of Johnson's 6 goal game against West Coast. False economy.

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
No.

Mark Williams was right in his assessment of Johnson's 6 goal game against West Coast. False economy.
OMG you are hard to please.
Question: Did he deserve to be picked to play West Coast?
Question: Did he do enough to get re-picked for the prelim?

Don't bother answering, i think i already know what you are going to say.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
It wasn't just Johnson.
Go have a look at Lobb squibbing a marking contest on the wing, the GWS players weren't hard enough, and there were a number of guys who went missing.

And as others have mentioned, there is NO way a player who kicks 6 goals in a semi final is ever going to be dropped.

If you have an issue with it, it should have been the West Coast game selection.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
It's pretty concerning for GWS if you blame their plight on a 290 game veteran who hasn't played a good game after kicking 6 the week before. I'd be looking at the abundance of top 5 picks you've got who didn't deliver the expected work rate and effort for an AFL side in a preliminary final.

The sad thing for Giants fans is that you've got more talent than you know what to do with, but you're lacking some key fundamentals that cost you a GF appearance - work rate, effort. Richmond aren't a better side skill wise, but they just wanted it more.

It's time for a big preseason after a nasty reality check.

They were meant to get that reality check after last years PF loss, but same problems are still there

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
They were meant to get that reality check after last years PF loss, but same problems are still there
I think they were less physical this year, part of the issue. I still think the positives outweigh the negatives, but the heat is on 2018 to make a GF at a minimum. With that list by 2018 if they're not there then there are serious concerns.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
I think they were less physical this year, part of the issue. I still think the positives outweigh the negatives, but the heat is on 2018 to make a GF at a minimum. With that list by 2018 if they're not there then there are serious concerns.

Fair comments.

Vic pokiesmon

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I thought Smith was cleared to play for both the West Coast and Richmond final? I thought he was just overlooked?
Had been struggling with knee from what I know.Cleared but really hadn't been at his best because of the injury so it was also a risk to play him.Reid obviously lacks SJ's skill and Perryman the other emergency is a different type as is Kennedy.If Smith was up and playing at his best he would have played in my opinion.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
OMG you are hard to please.
Question: Did he deserve to be picked to play West Coast?
Question: Did he do enough to get re-picked for the prelim?

Don't bother answering, i think i already know what you are going to say.

It's not about 'deserved' though. It's about picking the best team. A guy that can't run, can't tackle and can't kick 30m is surely not a better option than Smith?

And history shows, it was an enormous mistake.

Straight into a coaching job with the Swans too.

So there were no plans for Johnson to play his couple of years then take a coaching job with the Giants?

Seems silly really. Especially with Giants crying out for some talent in the coach’s box

Wasn't the reason why they lost but the game was close enough that 1 good performance instead of 1 terrible performance could've shifted a few things along the way and all of a sudden it's a different game.

3 big things replacing Stevie J could've done:

1. The Tigers backline looked shaky with the ball on several occasions. Houli, McIntosh, Rance et al had bad turnovers. Replace a witches hat with another chasing and pressuring player and all of a sudden those turnovers increase in numbers and become costly.

2. Then there's the times Stevie turned it over including the chances in the 3rd quarter where the Giants just needed a steadier or two as they got in the first half on multiple occasions to quieten the crowd.

3. He shirked contests by being unwilling to stand under some kicks and that stuff is contagious especially with some of the Giants players. When an experienced player doesn't want to lead the way it makes it too easy for younger guys to pick and choose too.

Nah

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
GWS are full of elite players. Blaming the aging medium forward after a smashing when the rest of the team is full of stars seems a bit unfair.
On that we agree except the smashing bit. We were soundly beaten by both the grand finalists but a bit melodramatic to call either a smashing.
Given Stevie J announced his retirement pre finals, this thread gloating over the end of his outstanding career is in poor taste.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Cameron is the chief mechanic in charge of this Ferrari team and they had engine trouble all year! He's Obviously he's butted heads with Johnson and now Stevie J takes up a coaching role with the Swans? What happened here? Wasn't that one of the reasons Stevie J went up there in the first place? Lots of questions here and in one phone call to ex teammate Tom Harley he'll be coaching the Swans forwards next season, that's all we bloody well need!

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Cameron is the chief mechanic in charge of this Ferrari team and they had engine trouble all year! He's Obviously he's butted heads with Johnson and now Stevie J takes up a coaching role with the Swans? What happened here? Wasn't that one of the reasons Stevie J went up there in the first place? Lots of questions here and in one phone call to ex teammate Tom Harley he'll be coaching the Swans forwards next season, that's all we bloody well need!
Retired player takes up coaching role, massive conspiracy obviously.

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Naah
The problem is you set untealistic expectations and then try and measure the team against them

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
You wouldn't think a GF would be a mandatory come this time next year?
Absolutely not.
I thought we were contenders this year, we had a horrible year with injurries and made the last 4.

Next year we'll be contenders in my view. Tell me what luck we'll have with injuries, and which other clubs will rise and by how much, and I'll let you know if we'll make the GF.

Back