OK Hard Rebuilders - what does the 2018 "play the kids" version of Hawthorn look like?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
FB Heatherly____________Hardwick
HB 2017pick3 Brand______Howe
C Lovell Mitchell Stewart
HF 2017pick5___________________
FF 2017pick4 Burton_____________
R Pittonet Omeara 2017pick2

So the premise is you draft as many as you can in 2017 and play them all 2018. Your principle also means you need to play the draftees from 2016 2015 etc

Above is the team including Mitchell and Omeara

Leaves just eight spots for current senior players

q1 Which eight players would you keep

q2 Would the team even win one game?

Gunston is the only senior player id retain, for the right price anyone is tradeable . 2018 first rounder must be traded also to get back into this years draft. Clean slate completely we cant do a brisbane and carlton and try fill holes with list cloggers . Accept we are bad fill it with quality youth and come back into contention within 4-6 years. Our team will be built around Omeara, mitchell, burton,sicily,brand,gunston and any trade target must be 23 and under

Gunston is the only senior player id retain, for the right price anyone is tradeable . 2018 first rounder must be traded also to get back into this years draft. Clean slate completely we cant do a brisbane and carlton and try fill holes with list cloggers . Accept we are bad fill it with quality youth and come back into contention within 4-6 years. Our team will be built around Omeara, mitchell, burton,sicily,brand,gunston and any trade target must be 23 and under

I don't want to give up a top 3 pick just to get back into this years draft.

Trade players to get back into the draft. Next year's first rounder might be even lower than this year's (though that may ultimately be impossible).

I don't want to give up a top 3 pick just to get back into this years draft.

Don't worry well get top three picks for 5 years at least if we go the play the kids option totally (make that ten with no Mitchell or omeara)

I meant this thread to be shock treatment but some of you are actually liking the idea?

Can't see Heatherley being a starter - been on list for 5-6 years and has played how many?

Remember that folks. Guys on a list for 3 years or more who can't cement a first 22 spot - forget about them, they don't get a game for a reason.

Can't see Heatherley being a starter - been on list for 5-6 years and has played how many?

Remember that folks. Guys on a list for 3 years or more who can't cement a first 22 spot - forget about them, they don't get a game for a reason.

whoopee doo rule him out and put the two Connors in

And how do you judge in future if a player deserves a best 22 spot if they're just being gifted spots?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what you gotta do,
If you want to get a kiss,
Is play it smooth,
And make your move like this:
<Stretch> Aaahhh, oooohh.

So if I take your advice,
And use your patented move,
My chances of love,
Are slightly improved.

Its important that we massively overreact and throw away all our talent in a firesale for 2nd and 3rd round pics.

That way we guarantee we suck for years and get a heap of top draft pics.

I like the kids we have & back them in to be competitive in 2018 as a part of the learning curve for a crack at the top 4 by 2019/20.

- 2018 with 2 traded in & a free agent end of 2017

- Gibson retired
- Doc traded (currency)
- Burgoyne retired
- WX delist / Box Hill
- *Birchall trade
- Hodge retired
- Schoenmakers trade (currency)
- *Smith traded
- *Breust/Sicily trade
- *Stratts trade
- options open on Shiels, Poppy, Langford, Heatherly, Willsmore for trading... (currency)
there are no untouchables, any offers considered

* key trades to acquire Hopper & Whitfield

- Dusty as the FA

"PLAY THE KIDS"

Hardwick Frawley Glass

Burton Brand Rioli

Hartung Mitchell Whitfield

Dusty Roughhead Stewart

Sicily Gunston TOB

McEvoy Jäger Howe

JOR Hopper Vickery Cousins

#Cegs coming back from his knee at BH

This is my play the kids team & targeted players included from a trade point of view.

We get a lot younger with the key trades without loosing a great deal in their respective positions/roles.

It's a Trent Croad approach but I believe we have the kids in place to be able to start the rebuild now, why draw out the process.

I think it would go ok...

#hopperisthetarget

We don't need to be ruthless here. Older guys that are contributing, and putting the effort shouldn't have to fear for their spot. However the guys 26+ that aren't contributing and their effort is down should start looking over their shoulder. Here is how I see things:

Safe:
Roughead
McEvoy
Burgoyne (for now, needs to improve his consistency is a quality leader though)
Frawley (just and only because there isn't a young one ready to take his spot)
Birchall (lets see how his form is after he comes back from his broken jaw)
Hodge
Smith
Breust
Puopolo
Rioli

Danger of being dropped (or should be dropped):
Gibson
Stratton
Shiels

The younger guys that we need to play and what we expect from them:
Tommy Mitchell - close to AA so far this year
Billy Hartung - really need to let him get some confidence and shouldn't be dropped unless he has a month or so of poor footy
Ryan Burton - should play every week, a shot at the rising star, doesn't need to be a star though, just needs to be developed properly
Jeager O'Meara - has to play every week he is fit and able to. This year is about getting confidence in his body and knowledge of our environment so we get the real value out of him for the next 7-8 years
Jonathon O'Rourke - if he's just about ready, needs to be told, baring injury, you got 6-8 weeks to build form, don't stress if you have a shocker first up or early up, we'll back you in for a bit.
Dan Howe - difficult one this one, I'd like to see him in the Stratton type role, rather than an inside mid role, though at the same time, with a bit of continuity he might start to adapt to the pace of senior footy.
Dallas Willsmore - give him at some point this year a block of 4-6 consecutive games to see what he's made of at senior level. Then we can make an informed decision about retaining him on our list or not.
James Sicily - his production up forward is worth a lot more than his production down back. We'll have to go the draft/trade table to find a speedy half back man, Sicily isn't the man for this. Needs to play every week, loved what Clarko did last year when he had a shocker round 1, backed him in and he kicked 5 against the Eagles in round 2. Is a confidence player and needs to play where he is most productive.
Tim O'Brien - I think we are already giving him a block of games to see if he is up to it. Hasn't been awful these past 2 weeks, but needs more games and more production to be retained on the list.
Will Langford - he's got a job until the end of 2019 with his current contract, and I have to say we need him in the midfield. He needs to keep his effort right up, because without it, he's a liability. Should play every game this year.
Kaiden Brand - has to play every week, and should be trusted to take the #1 forward if he's the right match up on that week.
Heatherly - I think he's not up to it, but wouldn't be against giving him a month in the seniors to fight for his career.
Harry Morrison - from all reports was excellent for Box Hill, but doesn't have a lot of natural pace. I'd like for him to spend most of the year in Box Hill developing in various positions (half back, mid, half forward) and if he has a nice block of games, reward him with a couple of senior gigs.
Black Hardwick - has to play every week. If there was an injury to Poppy or Breust, would like to see him have a crack up foward.
Kade Stewart - why isn't this kid in our midfield right now? Has to play every week, alternating between mid and forward. I even trust him as a small defender if required.
Teia Miles - from all reports copped a decent injury today. Hard to say what role he should play if he's out for a significant period of time.
Marc Pittonet - Should only get senior gigs if all of McEvoy, Fitzpatrick and Ceglar are unavailable. Am concerned about his production around the ground, love his aggression, but we need a ruck who can mark as an outlet, and from what I was told at his draft combine had the 2nd smallest set of hands of anyone tested (which is odd for a ruckman). Not sure he'll be a long term ruck prospect for us.
James Cousins - the only young rookie that might be up for a look in at senior level this year. He needs to play as an inside mid every week for box hill and if he has a good block of form, should be rewarded with some senior games.

I like the kids we have & back them in to be competitive in 2018 as a part of the learning curve for a crack at the top 4 by 2019/20.

- 2018 with 2 traded in & a free agent end of 2017

- Gibson retired
- Doc traded (currency)
- Burgoyne retired
- WX delist / Box Hill
- *Birchall trade
- Hodge retired
- Schoenmakers trade (currency)
- *Smith traded
- *Breust/Sicily trade
- *Stratts trade
- options open on Shiels, Poppy, Langford, Heatherly, Willsmore for trading... (currency)
there are no untouchables, any offers considered

* key trades to acquire Hopper & Whitfield

- Dusty as the FA

"PLAY THE KIDS"

Hardwick Frawley Glass

Burton Brand Rioli

Hartung Mitchell Whitfield

Dusty Roughhead Stewart

Sicily Gunston TOB

McEvoy Jäger Howe

JOR Hopper Vickery Cousins

#Cegs coming back from his knee at BH

This is my play the kids team & targeted players included from a trade point of view.

We get a lot younger with the key trades without loosing a great deal in their respective positions/roles.

It's a Trent Croad approach but I believe we have the kids in place to be able to start the rebuild now, why draw out the process.

I think it would go ok...

#hopperisthetarget

There's no 2017 draftees. What's the point of clearing out mid age players. Keeping rough and Frawley ?

Trading smith but keeping Hartung?

There's no 2017 draftees. What's the point of clearing out mid age players. Keeping rough and Frawley ?

Trading smith but keeping Hartung?
2017 draftees to be the academy kid, Sudanese I think along with Derm & Langford boys. Will not play

Chip will be replaced by Nash or Surman.. fingers crossed.
Rough gets to be captain... if he doesn't cut the mustard there are others that can come into the side.

Smith is 28 & has value to a "now" team. Hartung is still developing

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back