OK Hard Rebuilders - what does the 2018 "play the kids" version of Hawthorn look like?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm all in!

Play the kids.

Hardwick Brand Burgoyne

Hodge Shoey Burton

Smith Mitchell Hartung

Gunston TOB Breust

Vickery Roughy Langford

McEvoy Howe Shiels

Cousins Henderson Stewart Willsmore

What happens when you go only 90 degrees, does that mean one has changed their mind or just in a state of flux.

Yeah, I guess 90 degrees is a start! It's possible to have increments of beliefs, not just one view or the opposite.

I think that's ok too; you'd expect people to change their minds slowly unless the evidence is overwhelming and repeated more than once.

I've been lurking this forum for a fair while now, and I just have to say that a lot of the people in this thread are being absolutely ludicrous when it comes to where we're at as a football club. In 2018, we have another pre-season for our mids to gel together, and a lot more time for kids to come out of the woodwork. There's quite a few areas where we're set, and other areas where we need to persevere with certain players or bring in new talent to bring us up to speed - namely, backline.

Backline: We have issues, Frawley and Brand are our only two genuine backmen who can take tall targets. Burton is class, Hardwick has a turn of speed and an amazing boot, Stratton tries his best but he's better on the smalls. Heatherly looks like he's out of favour, and Nash is too young and raw to tell.
I'd love to see us target the kid we should have taken in our 2015 Draft, Keiran Collins. Looks unlikely to get a game at the Doggies and we wouldn't need much to get him.

Forwards: Vickery (his best use is forward, I'm not including him as a ruck), Gunston, O'Brien, Breust, Puopolo, Sicily, Roughead, Rioli. That's enough depth.
Expendable from our forward line, I'd say Breust. He has good trade currency even though it was probably a mistake to sign him on.

Mids: Hartung (I rate him, he just needs continuity to his game and he'll be everything that Hill was), Smith, O'Meara, Mitchell, Shiels, Burgoyne (For experience), Langford, O'Rourke (if the kid can get over his hamstring woes).
Expendable, Shiels and Langford are potentially players we could use to generate a second or third rounder. I don't think that's a worthwhile trade - Shiels at his best has good skills, good defensive efforts and can kick goals. Langford wouldn't attract enough offers.

Ruck: Big Boy, Ceglar (When he's back) - two is enough and we have Pittonet who is still VERY young and Fitzpatrick who can chip in if there are injuries.
Big Boy and Ceglar are a good combination and are both good for goals when they rest forward, Ceglar is someone we miss this year. Big marking targets up the wings.

And excuse the double post, but I see our lineup in 2018 going something like this. Also, note the absence of Poppy - I just believe that at 30 he is losing some of his toe and in 2018 it might be better for the future and for our team balance to have Stewart come in as heir apparent.

Hodge and Gibbo set to retire, Hodge is functioning on pure football nous at the moment. He's had a few moments this season where he just couldn't put in the effort even when he wanted to, sad to see honestly.

FB: Burgoyne, Brand, Stratton
HB: Birchall, Frawley, Burton
C: Smith, O'Meara, Hartung
HF: Gunston, Roughead, O'Brien
FF: Rioli, Vickery, Breust
R: McEvoy, Mitchell, O'Rourke
B: Ceglar, Shiels, Stewart/Cousins , Hardwick

It's going to be bloody hard to watch.

And with the disastrous off season we had last year rather than being a 3 year rebuild it will be more like 5.

That's if we actually acknowledge the mistakes we made and do a proper rebuild quickly.

I'm all in for rebuilding the Hawthorn Empire once more. I feel that we starting to lay the foundations, so that once more the Hawk shrine stands tall over everything else. As with all previous empires, it takes time, courage and dedication to make it work. Hail Clarko

No-one should be off the trade table if it helps bring in young talent from the draft. We need to get multiple 1st round selections, through the draft is the only way.

It's going to be bloody hard to watch.

And with the disastrous off season we had last year rather than being a 3 year rebuild it will be more like 5.

That's if we actually acknowledge the mistakes we made and do a proper rebuild quickly.

Who what would a good off season look like?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players good enough, young enough and fit enough to play in our next flag
Definitely
Bruest
Gunston
Mitchell
HOwe
Burton
Hardwick

Maybe
McEvoy - age
Cyril - age
Cegs - kmee
JOM - knee
TOB - consistency
Shiels - end will come quickly like Sewell
Miles - early days
Stewart - early days

Probs not
Anyone older than McEvoy
Sicily - attitude
shoe
Vickery
pittomet - can't jump

We need 10+ A / B grade players. 3 a 4 drafts starting 2018. Going to be a very long, slow rebuild. Five years plus.

I'll say it again. We are in absolute desperation for another midfield contested accumulater brute.
One of many holes that needs addressing. But in my opinion the most important.

Feel like it's only me who sees real potential in heathery. Absolutely loved his aggression last night, not a great game but the guy has some serious athletic attributes and and never shirks a contested ball.

Hardwick is a keeper, great disposal and great composure for such an inexperienced player.

On the flip side Dureyea is done, had his chance last night but blew it.

Brand I also like just need some more game time. Having said that really hope we jag either May from gc or Trengove from Port

Whitecross I've always liked but just not the same player since his two knee recos.

Pittonet, just don't see it unfortunately, ok as tap ruckman but pretty much a ghost around the ground

Cousins I've never seen live but likes ok, his lack of leg speed is a concern though

Stewart needs to build up his tank, and get his possessions up to 20 plus to warrant selection

Sicily polarises me. If we were offered a second rounder for him though I would take it an run

Hartung is definitely underperforming for the tricks he has. Jury still out

I think it's a given that Gibson is going to wind up at the end of the season but what do we think about Hodgey (age 32 born: June 15, 1984) and Burgoyne (age 34 born: October 21, 1982)? If you take age out of the equation you would have to say that they both have something to give in 2018. Im just struggling to decide what would be best for the future of the team.

As a hard rebuilder, I'd like to see us line up something like this over the next few weeks:

Hardwick Heatherley Burgoyne
Burton Brand Hodge
Smith Mitchell Hartung
Breust Gunston Stewart
Puopolo Roughead Sicily

McEvoy Langford Cousins

O'Brien Sheils Howe Henderson

I think it's a given that Gibson is going to wind up at the end of the season but what do we think about Hodgey (age 32 born: June 15, 1984) and Burgoyne (age 34 born: October 21, 1982)? If you take age out of the equation you would have to say that they both have something to give in 2018. Im just struggling to decide what would be best for the future of the team.
Hodge and BUrger will offer less in 2018 than S Mitchell and Lewis would have this year. For a proper rebuild, they need to retire. Otherwise Hodge is gong to kill someone.
Having said that, they are probably our two best players.

I'll say it again. We are in absolute desperation for another midfield contested accumulater brute.
One of many holes that needs addressing. But in my opinion the most important.

Cousins can do this mate

Clarko is bundling them together for pick 89 and ctn of strapping tape.;)

No-one should be off the trade table if it helps bring in young talent from the draft. We need to get multiple 1st round selections, through the draft is the only way.
I agree in principle except maybe for a Roughead, Rioli & a couple of others maybe.
Everyone else put them out there & HFC recruiters don't get hosed this time with the auctioning off process!
Players like Sicily & TOB could be 2nd rounders Shoe 3rd rd etc. Bundle them up & get some top end talent in please.
The naysayers on here saying its a gamble blah blah!!
Look no further than Burton 1st rd pick yes you stuff up a lot but sometimes they pay off too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back