OK Hard Rebuilders - what does the 2018 "play the kids" version of Hawthorn look like?

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree in principle except maybe for a Roughead, Rioli & a couple of others maybe.
Everyone else put them out there & HFC recruiters don't get hosed this time with the auctioning off process!
Players like Sicily & TOB could be 2nd rounders Shoe 3rd rd etc. Bundle them up & get some top end talent in please.
The naysayers on here saying its a gamble blah blah!!
Look no further than Burton 1st rd pick yes you stuff up a lot but sometimes they pay off too.
All this talk about "first round draft picks", Burton was pick 19, if we finish second last we get pick 20....

All this talk about "first round draft picks", Burton was pick 19, if we finish second last we get pick 20....
Our 1st live pick at the moment is GWS 2nd rd. If it stays like that with academy & so selections high 20's at best.

Not trading a future first round pick when we were clearly on the decline for a guy with a highly questionable knee.

'Clearly'. How could a successful professional organisation get it so wrong

There's an obvious answer

'Clearly'. How could a successful professional organisation get it so wrong

There's an obvious answer

Even the best are going to make mistakes every now and then, I'm the first to talk up all the great decisions we've made but the ones last off season as it stands have been a disaster except for Tom Mitchell.

The key now is admitting we stuffed up, reassessing where we are at and planning for the future giving a realistic appraisal of our list.

Even the best are going to make mistakes every now and then, I'm the first to talk up all the great decisions we've made but the ones last off season as it stands have been a disaster except for Tom Mitchell.

The key now is admitting we stuffed up, reassessing where we are at and planning for the future giving a realistic appraisal of our list.

With respect, your call is just as much an opinion as an overly optimistic one

But I must say the 'Hawks over estimating their list' does not sit with us finding new homes for Lewis and Mitchell. Can everyone see that?

Our 1st live pick at the moment is GWS 2nd rd. If it stays like that with academy & so selections high 20's at best.
And Brandan Parfitt was drafted with 26, my point is, and clearly the club agrees draft picks are highly subjective and I don't think a first round pick guarantees success.

I agree in principle except maybe for a Roughead, Rioli & a couple of others maybe.
Everyone else put them out there & HFC recruiters don't get hosed this time with the auctioning off process!
Players like Sicily & TOB could be 2nd rounders Shoe 3rd rd etc. Bundle them up & get some top end talent in please.
The naysayers on here saying its a gamble blah blah!!
Look no further than Burton 1st rd pick yes you stuff up a lot but sometimes they pay off too.

Don't worry about what the Kool-aiders say mate, I am with you. Trade anyone who can help us get into the 1st round, I really couldn't give a rats clacker who they are, when it's all said and done these players are professionals, the football space is a business and we need top end talent.

Only guys I wouldn't consider trading would be - Rioli (marketing purposes), Roughead, Burton, Mitchell, O'Mera. That's it, the rest you can name the price and if the deal is good enough then its done. There should be no emotional attachment when it comes to these decisions and I don't think Clarko is one to do that as his moves last year show, at the end of the day all these guys will be welcome back as premiership players and ex Hawk greats, until then it's about trying to get elite talent into the place for another sustained tilt at success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB Heatherly____________Hardwick
HB 2017pick3 Brand______Howe
C Lovell Mitchell Stewart
HF 2017pick5___________________
FF 2017pick4 Burton_____________
R Pittonet Omeara 2017pick2

So the premise is you draft as many as you can in 2017 and play them all 2018. Your principle also means you need to play the draftees from 2016 2015 etc

Above is the team including Mitchell and Omeara

Leaves just eight spots for current senior players

q1 Which eight players would you keep

q2 Would the team even win one game?

I would have Brand at full back, and Nash CHB. Possibly Cousins, Glass and Morrison could be possibilities from our current list. This is why the youngsters have to get a game now, so we can evaluate those who are keepers, and those who aren't.

Not trading a future first round pick when we were clearly on the decline for a guy with a highly questionable knee.

BEATING_A_DEAD_HORSE.gif

And for good measure...

anigif_enhanced-buzz-31591-1390415811-33.gif

And just in case it isn't clear...

tumblr_oa9d26cgrr1tpafe6o1_500.gif

So you're a master of seeing the bleeding obvious? Hooray for Captain Obvious. You jump on the bandwagon when the trumpets are playing, eh? Nice. Congrats.

yrwss.jpg

Smashed by GWS, Melbourne and the Bulldogs was the writing on the wall.

Top 4 was achieved due to experience in close games and was a great achievement but gave us a false sense of where we were at.
I'm sorry? we beat the bulldogs and Melbourne early in the year. If smith had kicked the goal we would have been in a prelim CLEARLY a team in decline. Mate your writing on the wall is severely smudged

Define this after the 2016 season where we finished top 4 or are you just an alias
A lot of lucky close wins and a straight sets exit suggested we were in decline at the end of last year.

Those close wins gave us a false perception of where we were really at in reality we were the 6th or 7th best team last year our crap % compared to other teams in the top 4 was a giveaway.

I thought we would finish about 11th -12th this year but it really looks like bottom 2 right now.

Last edited:
I'm sorry? we beat the bulldogs and Melbourne early in the year. If smith had kicked the goal we would have been in a prelim CLEARLY a team in decline. Mate your writing on the wall is severely smudged
Only won 2 out of the last 6 games last year including a lucky 1 point win over an injury riddled Collingwood and a unconvincing win over a declining North where we only played 1 good quarter.

Yes we almost won the final against Geelong but i think they played shithouse in the finals last year.

Losing to the primers, clearly a sign of being s**t right?:p

If Omeara can get his knees right we win the trade by miles even if it turns out to be 2,19,23. If he doesn't oh well, could of easily fudged the draft as well. At worst it just means a one year delay to our rebuild, I'll say it again just a massive amount of spoilt supporters

This the right spot for frustrated Hawthorn posters to post, right?
Good, then I want to trade 4 premiership cups for some high draft picks. OK!

To all you frustrated supporters, I only have one question.
In your lifetime has there been a club who has delivered premierships at the same rate as we have?
Well take a break for a few years until there is a better performer, and then you can jump ship, or be patient and allow those at the club, yes the staff you have been so proud of address our delimea, and build for more success instead of bitching.

FB Heatherly____________Hardwick
HB 2017pick3 Brand______Howe
C Lovell Mitchell Stewart
HF 2017pick5___________________
FF 2017pick4 Burton_____________
R Pittonet Omeara 2017pick2

So the premise is you draft as many as you can in 2017 and play them all 2018. Your principle also means you need to play the draftees from 2016 2015 etc

Above is the team including Mitchell and Omeara

Leaves just eight spots for current senior players

q1 Which eight players would you keep

q2 Would the team even win one game?

Senior players you would keep next year if we have a whole new set up and lots of youngsters, fighting to get to 60 games plus, that's the key, so the following two years they all break into that 60 to 100 game experience that starts winning finals. Somewhat at the same time.
So you need senior leaders, I don't know how long Hodgey has left but if he can play on he stays, Roughy stays these guys are coaches on the ground, a fit Frawley perhaps Burchell, if he''s healthy, I think we'd be looking at more than 8, who sit regularly, that would stay Puopulo, Bruest , Gunston you'd keep Hartung Stratton, Cyril will stay, I won't mention any of the 10 to 20 plus gamers , they are still new, but you will all know which of the young guns stay.
Mc Evoy.
Sheils still with lots in front of him.Gee this is a hard one, I think personally that our crew is full of longer staying good times with the club , we need to blood like mad this year, because either concentration or fitness being young, but just not being able to keep up the game plan for 4 quarters as we saw on the weekend, is really hurting us.
Because after this weekend I think we need about 4 to 6 of the new youngsters to step up for four quarters, when we have player loss like we did Stratton Frawley Cyril, no backup for Big Boy, Jack and O'Brien hurt.

So forget the number 8 for senior players needed , we need to get O'Meara on the field, and Tom Mitchell being very dangerous, Ty Vickery needs to get his act together and work like a dog, because its there!!!
And we need about 4 of those newbies between the one game and thirty game margin given time and time and time on the ground. We have fourteen games let them go for it now and get the knowledge of them a;ll under pressure at the top three or four games each in a row no matter what.
I really think that 2017 is a have a look year, its a mad season , we need to return to a power team, but in this era you have to sacrifice a season sometimes.
That has to happen this year. But you see 2017 is a observation year, trial year, some pressure needs taking off the older stalwarts , kids gotta learn, so let them, rest some older blokes , and we're going to lose some games.
Next year is the real try out year, then 2019 well with Hawthorn who knows.
Our gun kids will 60 to 80 game players.

Burgoyne hope he has another season or so in him!

This the right spot for frustrated Hawthorn posters to post, right?
Good, then I want to trade 4 premiership cups for some high draft picks. OK!

To all you frustrated supporters, I only have one question.
In your lifetime has there been a club who has delivered premierships at the same rate as we have?
Well take a break for a few years until there is a better performer, and then you can jump ship, or be patient and allow those at the club, yes the staff you have been so proud of address our delimea, and build for more success instead of bitching.
Correct mate, only have some ideas , but yes the club knows whats happening , but the question about who you keep and who you don't is too hard , I tried but gee I've probably missed half the squad, but you got to blood lots of kids for the future and keep old heads around a while to teach them.
Clarko has still got the forward thinking power , we should sit and wait , because you cannot perform miracles every year for those who don't understand the game and the difficulty of success very well.
Funny don't shoot me but I actually felt a bit better for Buckley , who has the hard job coaching and gets kicked in the head all the time, people need to see that keeping up with footy these days is very difficult. It takes time.

Remembering 2005-2007 and 2009-2011 Clarko pulled some very perplexing stuff. Be ready for that

Also while the club filled up on draft picks 2005-2006 that was almost an afterthought. It was the blending together of a team which was the important bit

Also while the club filled up on draft picks 2005-2006 that was almost an afterthought.

No it wasn't. I think it is expected that you are going to have misses. But you will not have wins or misses if you are not in the game at all and that is where Hawthorn currently are - not in the draft game.

I 100% support the O'Meara trade. And it is done anyway so there isn't even any point discussing it.

The only thing worth discussing is do you sell players who have value? And these will be triple premiership players. I say absolutely yes.

In my mind the whole thing seems to come down to teams in the window will overpay for missing pieces. And teams outside the window will benefit from this. It is Hawthorn's turn to benefit just like we did when Croad/Thompson/Rawlings/Hay were moved on. It is time to do that again.

It is harsh but it is reality. Because in 3 years time all those players will have the same trade value as Mitchell and Lewis had at the end of last year. SFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back