OK its almost FINALS TIME...How do we train/taper properly to be at our optimum?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2011
Child of Ghaia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So i play at a local club, we have been flying this year and have only lost 1 game for the season and with two rounds remaining it looks likely we will finish on top.
2nd Last week H&A 17th AUG
Last Week H&A 24th AUG
The comp runs a FINAL 5 system.
If we finish on top we get the first week of the finals off, and then play the next week for the chance to go straight into the grand final if we win, two weeks later. If we lose then we play the following week in the Preliminary FInal with our second chance to make the Grand Final.
Week 1 31st AUG Bye
Week 2 7th SEP GAME
Week 3 14th SEP Prelim-Bye
Week 4 21st SEP GRAND FINAL

My current training routine (with the odd gym/yoga sesh missed) is as follows:
Sunday - Rest
Monday - Weights, heavy session
Tuesday - Footy training
Wednesday - Weights, Yoga
Thursday - Footy Training
Friday - Light Weights, Sauna, spa
Sat - Game day

Now Ive read up as much as possible about tapering (reducing workload for peak performance at an event) but much of the material was for single event things like marathons and not really footy specific, nor in relation to peaking at two different times within the same month. Ideally we win our first final (in week two, after the bye) and then go to the GF two weeks later after another bye.

So BIGFOOTY how do i taper my training properly. What do i need to do to my routine/training load so I am in optimum shape for week 2 of the finals and week 4?

i'm with pez, i wouldn't change what isn't broken but maybe scale back vol 25% or so on your game weeks but keep the wts where they are now or are progressing to

Why would you change something that must have worked all year?

just bear in mind though, that in such a short duration (a month or so) odds are you aren't going to get any stronger so the main aim should be to focus on maintenance and more importantly injury prevention/management

Remove this Banner Ad

Back