Ok what the hell is going on with Starc

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Gone from leading the attack to not in the mix, got to be more to this.
Very strange he has not been selected. Just don’t know where the selectors are coming from with this.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

I had thought he'd be pencilled in for Leeds, where it's normally a bit drier and bouncier than Lords. But the pitch is looking pretty green - the selectors think Hazelwood is going to be more threatening.

We've heard with a fair amount of regularity the plan is to not allow easy runs for the English batsmen. Starc leaks runs and it's cost him spot.

If you take our top four pace bowlers as Cummins, Pattinson, Hazelwood and Starc - and I think most people do - then Starc is probably fair enough as the fourth best of those. Jhye Richardson could leap from him quite quickly as well.

Starc may have been given the first new ball more often than not - and he probably will again if picked in this series - but I'm not sure he was ever our best bowler and leader of the attack, in the sense Dale Steyn was for South Africa or Glenn McGrath for Australia before him.

Also when was Starc the leader of the attack?

Cummins has been the standout quick since the Indian tour a few years back.

Starc has led the Aussie attack for 6 years, that Cummings has had better results the last two years doesn’t change who got the new ball.
I am not saying Starc is our best bowler, I just don’t get how he has gone from opening bowler to cant get a game overnight.

Starc has led the Aussie attack for 6 years, that Cummings has had better results the last two years doesn’t change who got the new ball.
I am not saying Starc is our best bowler, I just don’t get how he has gone from opening bowler to cant get a game overnight.

He should've been dropped last summer but the selectors probably felt we had enough inexperience as it was without taking more risks with our bowling attack. Starc has had a single stand out series with the red ball and that was in Sri Lanka against a mediocre batting side in a series we lost 3-0.

He's always been mediocre all round, even when he gets wickets he's still expensive which means the opposition usually have a semi-competitive total given our batting woes.

I wasn't too sure or not about Langer, but seeing how he's approached this series and having the confidence to leave Starc on the bench makes me like him.

Don’t think there is much in it. When it’s flat or not much assistance for the pace bowlers then Starc is one of the best options. When there is a bit of assistance for the pace bowlers the more accurate options of Cummins/Hazlewood/Pattinson/Siddle are probably better options.

You taking the piss, how has Pattinson passed him?
Pattinson can bowl the same devastating spells as Starc but without having those spells where he releases ridiculous amounts of pressure. Fair enough he's not fit very often but when he is Patto is a must pick in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gone from leading the attack to not in the mix, got to be more to this.
Very strange he has not been selected. Just don’t know where the selectors are coming from with this.

Any thoughts?
Did you miss our home series against India and Sri Lanka? We simply have better bowlers. Especially in English conditions.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 Plus using Tapatalk

They've finally realised he's mostly just a bully of lesser batsmen/the tail. Doesn't have a consistent enough stock ball to be automatically picked in Test cricket. Cummins, Pattinson, and Jhye Richardson are all clearly better than him, and Hazlewood is too but not as obviously.

Hasn't been in good red ball form for a couple of years now really, and was really bad last time he played red ball in England.

Correct choice that I think has so far been vindicated.

Pattinson, Cummins are clearly better than him, and Hazlewood and Siddle better suited to English conditions. Don't mistake white ball Starc (arguably the GOAT) with red ball Starc.

Starc also has a strike rate in the 40s in Test cricket. Let's not act like he's not an elite striker in this format too, just because he goes for an extra run every 2-3 overs (on average) compared to a Siddle/Hazlewood.

Honestly thought he'd come in for Hazlewood this Test, as I think the back-to-back matches is a bit much for Haze coming off the long break, but I assume the fitness staff have a handle on it.

Well, Langer would be crunching numbers like the dweeb he is and probably the numbers are telling him who can bowl the best in this country and on particular grounds, he'd be feeding that info to the selectors. Seems like he's chosen an attack that can use the conditions best in each match so far. It's the catching that has let the attack down, not this match obviously.

I think we are going to starve England of runs.
They'll get themselves out.
Even when siddle wasnt getting wickets he was bowling tight. Starc goes for 3 1/2 runs an over

I love it when hes bowling at 150k and scaring batsmen but he can lose it and get cained

If things go badly the aussie bowlers are still strangling England at 2 runs an over

Langer might be bng but hes inside the heads of this English side and dishing them a savage beating with a great bowling line up and an adequate batting squad

Starc will always be a threat for our home tests on benign pitches.

Thank goodness that the Langer administration is being smart with which players they use for the conditions.

I can imagine Lehman would still be picking the fastest bowlers possibly and telling the batsmen to bat aggressively despite the conditions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back