OKC Thunder Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's an honest question
I've only been following the thunder since giddey came on board and its clear he's a guy who needs the ball in his hands to be super effective
So when ppl say giddey can run the second unit I get it but what's the actual reality of it?
Lets say SGA and JDub get 35ish minutes a game roughly ,leaving 13ish minutes for giddey to play the point. Obviously SGA and JDub aren't always off the floor at the same time leaving the ball handling/play running duties still shared.
As far as giddeys concerned this season to date mustve been bloody tough not even considering any on court stuff, his mind mustve been all over the place so I think he's done extremely well considering but I just can't see how he'd be in their long term plans anymore.
Joe and Wallace have been very good at times , both can score easily at times .
So is the whole giddey running the second unit thing a pipedream or should he expect a new start next season somewhere he'll get his 30+minutes and have the ball in his hands?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Here's an honest question
I've only been following the thunder since giddey came on board and its clear he's a guy who needs the ball in his hands to be super effective
So when ppl say giddey can run the second unit I get it but what's the actual reality of it?
Lets say SGA and JDub get 35ish minutes a game roughly ,leaving 13ish minutes for giddey to play the point. Obviously SGA and JDub aren't always off the floor at the same time leaving the ball handling/play running duties still shared.
As far as giddeys concerned this season to date mustve been bloody tough not even considering any on court stuff, his mind mustve been all over the place so I think he's done extremely well considering but I just can't see how he'd be in their long term plans anymore.
Joe and Wallace have been very good at times , both can score easily at times .
So is the whole giddey running the second unit thing a pipedream or should he expect a new start next season somewhere he'll get his 30+minutes and have the ball in his hands?

240mins in a game to spread around. Our trouble is the amount of guys in the rotation that also deserve time. We go deep.

Id guess its to do partly with Jdub and SGA taking a massive leap in offensive threat and efficiency, plus Chet being a scoring option means Giddeys usage is well down.

The team has such a great chemistry that I'm confident Josh isnt counting the minutes or jealous he has less. He's adjusting to the new team that has less need for his 30+ mins carrying the ball.

I'd hope he doesn't go chasing minutes elsewhere or is part of a deal next season. He can strengthen his role through improved 3pt% in the offseason.

'Running the 2nd unit' is a bit of a backhand. I dont think its a real thing, just a moniker used by media/teams to say "he's not our #1 guy but we love what he does".

How 240mins could look when fully fit...

35mins SGA
35mins Jdub
30mins Chet
28mins Hayward
24mins Giddey
22mins Dort
18mins Bismack

48mins between Joe, Wallace, Wiggins, Ken, JWill

240mins in a game to spread around. Our trouble is the amount of guys in the rotation that also deserve time. We go deep.

Id guess its to do partly with Jdub and SGA taking a massive leap in offensive threat and efficiency, plus Chet being a scoring option means Giddeys usage is well down.

The team has such a great chemistry that I'm confident Josh isnt counting the minutes or jealous he has less. He's adjusting to the new team that has less need for his 30+ mins carrying the ball.

I'd hope he doesn't go chasing minutes elsewhere or is part of a deal next season. He can strengthen his role through improved 3pt% in the offseason.

'Running the 2nd unit' is a bit of a backhand. I dont think its a real thing, just a moniker used by media/teams to say "he's not our #1 guy but we love what he does".

How 240mins could look when fully fit...

35mins SGA
35mins Jdub
30mins Chet
28mins Hayward
24mins Giddey
22mins Dort
18mins Bismack

48mins between Joe, Wallace, Wiggins, Ken, JWill
Do you think giddey showed enough in the first 2 years to warrant more minutes tho?
Like you said the depth is great at OKC and running the second unit is a myth(if anyone was running the second unit it was micic)
I'd like him to stay and really contribute to a championship run but I can see him being an attractive prospect for a team like San Antonio maybe

Do you think giddey showed enough in the first 2 years to warrant more minutes tho?
Like you said the depth is great at OKC and running the second unit is a myth(if anyone was running the second unit it was micic)
I'd like him to stay and really contribute to a championship run but I can see him being an attractive prospect for a team like San Antonio maybe

100% he's done enough. He had the opportunity as SGA missed lots of games, and our scoring options were thin.

This year our gameplan and the need for specific roleplayers to support our scorers has come on almost by surprise. More control and useage for those guys means less for Josh. The ego and what he deserves have to come out of it when the hierarchy of the team shifts as it has this season.

If Josh worked this offseason on his 3pt% and added more agility/hops, I'd see him taking that 3 role we just gave to Hayward. Can't forget he's 6'8.

Spurs would be a perfect fit for him btw. Slob wizard pass to Wemby would be a walk up 20ppg!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back