Rumour O'Keefe to the Crows?

Remove this Banner Ad

CrowsAlways83

Senior List
Mar 26, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just heard some interesting information that Ryan O'Keefe (and wife) was spotted having dinner with Noble and his wife last night.

What really intrigues me about this is that some of the conversation apparently included talk of coaching, so am unsure whether he may come here as a player, assistant coach, or both.

What are people's thoughts on him coming here to play or be an assistant coach?

No to him playing but could be alright as an assistant coach. Does anyone know if he had any sort of coaching role this year?

Why can't we just poach the best coaches from other clubs. I really don't think that we're running such a great system that we can just develop them from scratch. I say no to any more L plate coaches until there is evidence that our coaching group is on the right track and have the team perform to high standards on a consistent basis.

Or maybe they're just mates and they had...... dinner

I doubt mates would have to talk to each other about how many brothers and sisters they have lol. The person who gave me this information also heard the wives talking about the school system, and heard O'Keefe say something along the lines of having to be a decent offer (amongst other snippets). Unfortunately they were not able to hear what the offer was for, playing or coaching. But it does seem we are chasing him for some role, and wasn't just a social catch up.

Personally I would prefer it to be for coaching, otherwise we are fast making a name for ourselves as the dumping ground for over 30's lol (which would be fine if we were on the cusp of a premiership)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe someone to play the Callinan role in the SANFL before having a role as some sort of coach?

From what he's said, he still appears keen to play AFL so I think he'd be pushing that first, hopefully we're looking at him as a coach/SANFL captain at most.

We will not win a flag next year. Ryan would be a great coach I think and so giving him a one year contract with no playing guarantees would be no great shakes if that's what it took to secure him as a coach. Would prefer him just as a coach though, but clearly would need to be one of many appointments in a coaches clean out.

Maybe someone to play the Callinan role in the SANFL before having a role as some sort of coach?

From what he's said, he still appears keen to play AFL so I think he'd be pushing that first, hopefully we're looking at him as a coach/SANFL captain at most.
I think the "Callinan role" has to be filled by an ex-AFC player?

Also, I can't see ROK moving from Sydney to Adelaide just to be playing in the SANFL.

Also, I can't see ROK moving from Sydney to Adelaide just to be playing in the SANFL.
Does ring a bell the ex-AFC.

Thought was it would be SANFL into a coaching gig.

I agree, which makes me think we are looking at offering a playing/coaching deal to get him across. Would have thought we would be better placed trying to poach an established assistant coach from another team (and not Geelong if possible).

I agree, which makes me think we are looking at offering a playing/coaching deal to get him across. Would have thought we would be better placed trying to poach an established assistant coach from another team (and not Geelong if possible).
The fact that ROK is coming from Sydney - a highly successful non-Geelong team - makes him all the more attractive as an assistant coach, in my eyes at least.

The fact that ROK is coming from Sydney - a highly successful non-Geelong team - makes him all the more attractive as an assistant coach, in my eyes at least.

Sorry, what I meant was we would be better placed getting an assistant for next year instead of committing to ROK as a player then coach. If they are looking at him as a non-playing assistant for next year then I am supportive of that. From memory he was quite a skilful player, so if he can teach that at least it would be worth it lol.

Sorry, what I meant was we would be better placed getting an assistant for next year instead of committing to ROK as a player then coach. If they are looking at him as a non-playing assistant for next year then I am supportive of that. From memory he was quite a skilful player, so if he can teach that at least it would be worth it lol.
Not only a skillful player, but an extremely hard worker and that's something that can be taught.

Knows how to run both ways as well which so few of our guys do so I think he'd have a lot to teach.

It's amazing that a guy who averaged 33 disposals and 11.3 tackles in the 2012 finals series (with a Norm Smith medal on top of that) can't break into this Sydney side. Plenty of depth in their midfield and I guess it also shows that he's probably behind his best or he would be playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back