OKFL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Few interesting results over the weekend. Bright must have been very poor to get beaten by that much or Tarra are very good. I think I may have rated KV a little too high at the start of the year. Done at home which is meant to be hard to do. Moyhu over Greta was an interesting one also. Maybe Greta have improved a bit but not as much as first thought after round 1. Glenrowan fielded a very under strength side against Whorouly so thats what made that closer than it needed to be. And Benalla must be a decent side to go to BD and have a nice win. Milawa dont look like they are going to fall away as some predicted on here. Dont think they will win the flag but they are going to be very competitive. A lock for making finals.

Milawa v Glenrowan this week will be a good indication of the gap. If the dees cannot win this game with so many tigers players away they have zero chance later in year

Few interesting results over the weekend. Bright must have been very poor to get beaten by that much or Tarra are very good. I think I may have rated KV a little too high at the start of the year. Done at home which is meant to be hard to do. Moyhu over Greta was an interesting one also. Maybe Greta have improved a bit but not as much as first thought after round 1. Glenrowan fielded a very under strength side against Whorouly so thats what made that closer than it needed to be. And Benalla must be a decent side to go to BD and have a nice win. Milawa dont look like they are going to fall away as some predicted on here. Dont think they will win the flag but they are going to be very competitive. A lock for making finals.
Was a ripping game at Moyhu on Friday. Greta led all day & had they been cleaner with ball in hand going forward in the 2nd half the result would've been different. Lost by a kick with 4 crucial turnovers that Moyhu converted into goals in the last quarter. Plenty of time & room for improvement though so with the greatest respect I wouldn't pass judgement on the strength of one result. All credit to Moyhu though. Couldn't fault the endeavour of either side.

Was a ripping game at Moyhu on Friday. Greta led all day & had they been cleaner with ball in hand going forward in the 2nd half the result would've been different. Lost by a kick with 4 crucial turnovers that Moyhu converted into goals in the last quarter. Plenty of time & room for improvement though so with the greatest respect I wouldn't pass judgement on the strength of one result. All credit to Moyhu though. Couldn't fault the endeavour of either side.

I think it's blatantly obvious to all that Greta has taken some huge steps forward and seem to be doing it the right way, hopefully you will continue to improve over the next few seasons and become a real contender, I genuinely mean that! Having said that, at the moment your side is made up of 2 halves - half seniors, half reserves. You can't have that many weaknesses in talent and fitness to expect to win games against sides when pressure is applied for all 4 qtrs. I think 8-10 is a fair prediction with 8 being a great result! But, I've been wrong before!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think it's blatantly obvious to all that Greta has taken some huge steps forward and seem to be doing it the right way, hopefully you will continue to improve over the next few seasons and become a real contender, I genuinely mean that! Having said that, at the moment your side is made up of 2 halves - half seniors, half reserves. You can't have that many weaknesses in talent and fitness to expect to win games against sides when pressure is applied for all 4 qtrs. I think 8-10 is a fair prediction with 8 being a great result! But, I've been wrong before!!

Reckon your a bit off with the half reserves call, still a bit of depth to develop before we are where we want to be. but from Fridays side i think there is 5-6 guys who probably belong in the reserves the rest are genuine senior players. Hopefully the club will continue to add more

Reckon your a bit off with the half reserves call, still a bit of depth to develop before we are where we want to be. but from Fridays side i think there is 5-6 guys who probably belong in the reserves the rest are genuine senior players. Hopefully the club will continue to add more

5-6??? 8 and your 2 games into the season, I'm banking on 2-4 injuries which is the norm for any club and I don't think they will be to the fringe players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Name the 8 you think belong in the early game.

3 or 4 to come into the senior side who haven't played yet the should cover injuries

I wasn't real keen on naming them, but since you asked: Dalgleish, Cleeland, Whinray, Naish, Franklin, McLeod, Grigg, Leith.

I'm keen to know which 2-3 of these you think are genuine senior players?

I wasn't real keen on naming them, but since you asked: Dalgleish, Cleeland, Whinray, Naish, Franklin, McLeod, Grigg, Leith.

I'm keen to know which 2-3 of these you think are genuine senior players?

McLeod came second in their best and fairest last year didn't he? Very vital cog to their side. Agree with Leith, Whinray and maybe Dalgleish. Naish in the right age bracket to improve and learn from Newbold and Franklin has played over 250 games. You need him on the park and fit, when he isn't getting a fresh haircut that is.

McLeod came second in their best and fairest last year didn't he? Very vital cog to their side. Agree with Leith, Whinray and maybe Dalgleish. Naish in the right age bracket to improve and learn from Newbold and Franklin has played over 250 games. You need him on the park and fit, when he isn't getting a fresh haircut that is.

McLeod might have come 2nd in the b&f, but it was in a side that only won 1 game so that doesn't mean much to me. Franklin would admit himself that he's not a senior player and age brackets don't automatically make you a senior player (Naish).

McLeod might have come 2nd in the b&f, but it was in a side that only won 1 game so that doesn't mean much to me. Franklin would admit himself that he's not a senior player and age brackets don't automatically make you a senior player (Naish).

Regardless of team success, McLeod showed in the games i watched, including a smacking at the hands of Glenrowan, that he is an O&K senior player.
Probably right about Franklin, and yeah okay while age doesn't guarantee you selection it was previously mentioned in this thread younger players that stick around struggling clubs are necessary. I see Naish as playing wing/forward and he is getting stronger and fitter so i would suggest in time he will have more of an impact.

The skill level at Greta has gone through the roof, barring the last quarter against Moyhu, and i would expect them to beat North Wangaratta by about 36 points this weekend.

The Hawks look a lot better this year as well and it is great to see.

I asked Franklin myself and he said he is first picked every week and doesn't know what you blokes are talking about.

But seriously, which team tarra and glenrowan aside can say their bottom 5 are really just fringe players who ideally are playing in the early game and stepping up only when needed??

Moyhus team on the weekend had a handful, KV, Whorouly, Bonnie Doon, All Blacks, Bright all teams Greta are hoping to be competitive with and all would be in the same boat.

I asked Franklin myself and he said he is first picked every week and doesn't know what you blokes are talking about.

But seriously, which team tarra and glenrowan aside can say their bottom 5 are really just fringe players who ideally are playing in the early game and stepping up only when needed??

Moyhus team on the weekend had a handful, KV, Whorouly, Bonnie Doon, All Blacks, Bright all teams Greta are hoping to be competitive with and all would be in the same boat.

Yep, I agree with that. But I'd say KV, Bright & All Blacks all have either less or better "fringe players", and that's how I got 8th spot as a good result. But like I said, I've been wrong before!

How good is Goorambat's draw starting to look?
Of the current top five teams, the only one that Goorambat faces twice this year is Glenrowan, and the Tigers will be coming off a four-day break with a number of key players unavailable in the first of those encounters, in round four.

Tips for this week.

Bonnie Doon have been shocking this year, and it is about to get a whole lot worse. Tarra should be looking at four 10 goal quarters, and I'll be picking them by 200.

Bright will loose sight of the finals very quickly if they can't step up a notch against Benalla. I think the panthers should do it moderately easily - 35 points.

The bats are performing nicely and should have a comfortable win against Whorouly. Bats by 60.

I love watching King Valley vs Moyhu - it's a sensational rivalry. From memory KV won both last year (???). Moyhu will be on a high from last week - and I just can't pick it. I'm going with the Valley by a kick.

North Wangaratta will get a spanking from Greta under lights in town - Greta by 67.
However things are looking up for North, and It'd be great to see them win their first game for a few years. Maybe against Bright in round 5.

Match of the round Milawa vs Glenrowan
- Those that are professing the resurgence of Milawa are talking out their bottoms. They are yet to play a top 8 side, and were less than convincing against Bright.
- There is no doubt that Glenrowan will win this one and should do it by 10+ goals (depending on any rain, and Glenrowan fielding a 1/2 strength side)
- I'm sticking to my selection that Milawa will miss the finals, and I think we'll need to wait for another week to see what happens against Moyhu

Last edited:
How good is Goorambat's draw starting to look?
Hopefully the bats can open up a couple game gap on glenrowan on the ladder and hold onto top 2, make glenrowan play 4 straight finals. Probably wouldn't be enough to stop the culture kings though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back