OKFL - Pre Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

BK, what sort of mongrel schedules a beep test to finish off after running you up and down sand dunes all weekend...:D
Someone that gets off on watching others suffer! Was a painful session but I'm sure all the boys got something out of it. Surprised that a few blokes made it to level 11 after the amount of kms covered earlier in the day.

GO, they were a handy side yes, but unreal? The club will lose close to 15 seniors & 2nds players this year and has he recruited anyone??
Both Pumba & Hallam came with HUGE wraps but didn't live up to the hype
the Milawa players were told they would.:D

I'll stand by my statement and say that and most of the other clubs In the league would agree they had plenty of quality, as for losing 15 players I think you have your hand on something in your pants!

I'll stand by my statement and say that and most of the other clubs In the league would agree they had plenty of quality, as for losing 15 players I think you have your hand on something in your pants!

GO only time will tell!!
I still reckon 15 will be quite close to the mark.
I know of a few 2nds players that aren't returning plus the 7 or so seniors players.
Hope I am wrong!! Maybe bring Aker back:rolleyes:

Just curious on what peoples top eight prediction's are and premiers/spooners ?

In no particular order, top 8

benalla
Greta
KV
moyhu
milawa
Nth Wang
Tarra
Whorouly

Bright are still an unknown qty at this stage and Doon will improve immensely with the guys returning fron B/ford .Either of those two are cpable of sneeking in. I haven't heard much about G/rowan yet....

wooden spoon will be close, I reckon the rest will get a few wins each...

I would like to see North Wang's Income & Expenditure statement at the end of the year...
How can a club justify paying "Reserve O&M players" $300+ per game when they are unproven???
I have it from a very, very reliable source that joel Bihun is being paid $300 per game, and Fraser Elliot is on a higher amount than him...how can these young fella's be paid this much? No offence to them, but it is wrong!
That said...if these 2 are on this amount, I would hate to think what Jamie Bell and these other recruits from Myrtleford are being paid? These recruits from Myrt would surely not be travelling for nothing!!!
One of these recruits would want to win the Baker Medal by the length of the straight if they are this good!!!
Sorry for lengthy post, but I am totally annoyed that players are being paid these ridiculous amounts,and hope that all the work the people behind the scenes put in to raise money for a club does not go to waste!!!

Couldnt agree with u more rumble. thats massive dollars to b throwing around in a league like the O&K. from what i have heard if they dont win a flag they have wasted money and time bringing these money hungry blokes to the club. it will be interesting to c if the "Dream Team" can come home with the goods.
BK, sounds like u had quite an enjoyable weekend from all accounts :)

In no particular order, top 8

benalla
Greta
KV
moyhu
milawa
Nth Wang
Tarra
Whorouly

Bright are still an unknown qty at this stage and Doon will improve immensely with the guys returning fron B/ford .Either of those two are cpable of sneeking in. I haven't heard much about G/rowan yet....

wooden spoon will be close, I reckon the rest will get a few wins each...

Good looking top eight slim. Those sides could all give it a shake on their day. for the likes of Tarra and Milawa, doesnt matter who they lose or pick up they always seem to have a handy side and find ways to win. As for Glenrowan they will b lucky to get a side from what i have heard.

Anyone heard how the Tatong boys went on their camp? Any other teams got camps coming up?

Our boys are off to "Special Skills Camp" this weekend should good.
We are really workin on our hand eye co-ordination skills this year.
Starting with the basics of catching a ball, Then moving onto the kicking and handballing. Then depending how the boys are progressing we may even get into the harder stuff such as running and bouncing a football.
Should have an edge this year

Anyone heard how the Tatong boys went on their camp? Any other teams got camps coming up?

every night on the training track at the moment BK feels like a camp! :D has to b done, the more u do and the fitter you are, the better chance you have at bringing home the chocolates in September :thumbsu:

Couldnt agree with u more rumble. thats massive dollars to b throwing around in a league like the O&K. from what i have heard if they dont win a flag they have wasted money and time bringing these money hungry blokes to the club. it will be interesting to c if the "Dream Team" can come home with the goods.
BK, sounds like u had quite an enjoyable weekend from all accounts :)

I just thought I would compare some of these recruits against the reigning premier to see how they stack up.
Jamie Bell - ok has captained Tarra and played in premierships, but did not dominate against Moyhu in GF in 2011 when he should have against not the best ruckmen. This year Moyhu has Frazer Dent-Ould and I would put Dent in front of Bell.
Mick Naish - on baller/forward. Moyhu has many option of onballers/forwards - eg, Waite, Craig, VanDerHeyden for couple of examples (not in league of the Moyhu players)
Dan Hargreaves - back pocket. does not compare to Moyhu's back pockets of Leroy Dowling, nathan Gorman, Reece Bilney etc
Fraser Elliot - Mainly played rovers reserves and would expect him to play on ball/half back roll. As a comparison player you would have Jaimon Mcgeehan and he has finished in the top 5 of baker medal the past 3 years. (Moyhu well ahead here)
Joel Bihun - Heard he is a wingman/back flanker - compare to Moyhu's wingman in Grand Final laast year (Tom Keehan who had a blinder and Stu Smith who is very underated). (Moyhu)
Joel Maskell - onballer/forward. Again compare to Waite, Craig, VanDerHeyden. (not in same league as Moyhu players)
Matt Young - forward. compare to Wilson brothers at Moyhu who play forwrd poket/half forward role. J. Wilson kicked 100+ goals, and matt Wilson who kicked 30 odd goals but was a great defensive forward. (Moyhu well ahead here again).
I know these are just my opinion, but for a club to be a "Dream Team" they have to combine well together, and they have to beat the best...and the best still in regards to last year is Moyhu! North Wang is going to have to come from a LONG way back, and just because they have signed these players it does not mean they will be winning a premiership!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just thought I would compare some of these recruits against the reigning premier to see how they stack up.
Jamie Bell - ok has captained Tarra and played in premierships, but did not dominate against Moyhu in GF in 2011 when he should have against not the best ruckmen. This year Moyhu has Frazer Dent-Ould and I would put Dent in front of Bell.
Mick Naish - on baller/forward. Moyhu has many option of onballers/forwards - eg, Waite, Craig, VanDerHeyden for couple of examples (not in league of the Moyhu players)
Dan Hargreaves - back pocket. does not compare to Moyhu's back pockets of Leroy Dowling, nathan Gorman, Reece Bilney etc
Fraser Elliot - Mainly played rovers reserves and would expect him to play on ball/half back roll. As a comparison player you would have Jaimon Mcgeehan and he has finished in the top 5 of baker medal the past 3 years. (Moyhu well ahead here)
Joel Bihun - Heard he is a wingman/back flanker - compare to Moyhu's wingman in Grand Final laast year (Tom Keehan who had a blinder and Stu Smith who is very underated). (Moyhu)
Joel Maskell - onballer/forward. Again compare to Waite, Craig, VanDerHeyden. (not in same league as Moyhu players)
Matt Young - forward. compare to Wilson brothers at Moyhu who play forwrd poket/half forward role. J. Wilson kicked 100+ goals, and matt Wilson who kicked 30 odd goals but was a great defensive forward. (Moyhu well ahead here again).
I know these are just my opinion, but for a club to be a "Dream Team" they have to combine well together, and they have to beat the best...and the best still in regards to last year is Moyhu! North Wang is going to have to come from a LONG way back, and just because they have signed these players it does not mean they will be winning a premiership!
Fair assessment. You missed Ben Bell, who would probably beat any Moyhu opponent he plays on. Hard to say about Fogarty, he would struggle against the older, bigger players I think.

very good assessment i must say. looking good for a channel 7 call up for the AFL season in the commentary box i reckon :D

I totally agree with you rumble, well said!! these guys are a little bit raw when it comes to Ovens & King footy it is a little differant from O&M thirds and 2nds...

But on the same note North Wang have really struggled for a good few years now only winning a handful of games in that time, i am sure it is a recruiting nightmare with thier track record, throwing that little bit of extra cash around might be the only way they can get players to jump on board... and players are very scares nowadays!!

I totally agree with you rumble, well said!! these guys are a little bit raw when it comes to Ovens & King footy it is a little differant from O&M thirds and 2nds...

But on the same note North Wang have really struggled for a good few years now only winning a handful of games in that time, i am sure it is a recruiting nightmare with thier track record, throwing that little bit of extra cash around might be the only way they can get players to jump on board... and players are very scares nowadays!!
Whether you agree with it or not, unfortunately that seems to be where country footy is heading these days.

I know we (Tarra) have tried to build a good culture at the club without throwing big dollars around, but as seen during this off season there will always be blokes that would prefer to play for money (although, they wouldn't admit it). So what happens now? Do we risk becoming one of these clubs by buying decent players so we can keep up with the pack, or do we continue to pay relatively low, making recruiting harder and risking falling down the ladder?

I know what I'd prefer, but that can only work for so long. Guess it's all about finding the happy medium. There's more to footy clubs than on field success, but if that success doesn't happen for years, attracting recruits only gets harder and harder.

Whether you agree with it or not, unfortunately that seems to be where country footy is heading these days.

I know we (Tarra) have tried to build a good culture at the club without throwing big dollars around, but as seen during this off season there will always be blokes that would prefer to play for money (although, they wouldn't admit it). So what happens now? Do we risk becoming one of these clubs by buying decent players so we can keep up with the pack, or do we continue to pay relatively low, making recruiting harder and risking falling down the ladder?

I know what I'd prefer, but that can only work for so long. Guess it's all about finding the happy medium. There's more to footy clubs than on field success, but if that success doesn't happen for years, attracting recruits only gets harder and harder.

Well said BK, unfortunately money is the biggest part of country football and there are alot of clubs out there that dont worry so much about the club culture they only want to look good on the field and win games (not just talking about the O&K either). I love winning games of football, but at the end of the day thats what it is, football... its only a game, a place for mates, families and yes, hopefully there is some success both on and off the field. there has been too much fun taken out of the game and if it keeps going the way it is, players will have a heavier wallet and clubs that are struggling now, they probably wont survive.

Well said BK, unfortunately money is the biggest part of country football and there are alot of clubs out there that dont worry so much about the club culture they only want to look good on the field and win games (not just talking about the O&K either). I love winning games of football, but at the end of the day thats what it is, football... its only a game, a place for mates, families and yes, hopefully there is some success both on and off the field. there has been too much fun taken out of the game and if it keeps going the way it is, players will have a heavier wallet and clubs that are struggling now, they probably wont survive.

You pay for what you get, you want monkeys you pay peanuts..

Well rumble's in your eyes Moyhu well ahead, but i dont agree you didnt only forget about Ben Bell also Steer, Baker and the other tall from Sorento are there better players so far in there recruiting. Also if i do remember Rnd1 last year Nth Wang v Moyhu two of Nth Wangs fwd's kicked over 10 behind's and they gave away 4 50mtr penaltys that ended in goals Moyhu won by 4 goals. And then in Rnd14 Moyhu won by 5 points against Nth Wang, Now they dont seem to be a LONG way back do they.

Well rumble's in your eyes Moyhu well ahead, but i dont agree you didnt only forget about Ben Bell also Steer, Baker and the other tall from Sorento are there better players so far in there recruiting. Also if i do remember Rnd1 last year Nth Wang v Moyhu two of Nth Wangs fwd's kicked over 10 behind's and they gave away 4 50mtr penaltys that ended in goals Moyhu won by 4 goals. And then in Rnd14 Moyhu won by 5 points against Nth Wang, Now they dont seem to be a LONG way back do they.

LP, Moyhu came good when they needed to, end of arguement ( don't get a lump your pants Bads :D). We beat them by about 7 gls, I think, early in the year and they defeated us by about 8 pts, I think, second time around. They will be hard to toss again. Look at Milawa's million dollar recruiting, didn't come good when they needed to. Milawa was probably the closest thing to a team of champions that didn't come good last year....

Thanks Slim! It's certainly firming? The word around the traps from those who have done their homework is that The Big Sorrento signing might be a very good player in the Magoos?

Thanks Slim! It's certainly firming? The word around the traps from those who have done their homework is that The Big Sorrento signing might be a very good player in the Magoos?

Rumours abounding about your own magoos Bads....Apparently The Moore Machine has been recruiting himself a 2's flag...:D

Rumours abounding about your own magoos Bads....Apparently The Moore Machine has been recruiting himself a 2's flag...:D

Has Dan Mcginnes from Moyhu signed with Corryong in the Upper Murray? Can anyone confirm this. Change is like a holiday and i reckon North Wang will be in the thick of things come September.:footy:

It's certainly a bonus when your reserves are up and going and i believe The Big Fella was very good with the boys last year. I might sneak down to training and see if he is leading them from the front with his training?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back