Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
It’s time for this ripper of a podcast to have its own thread
Look forward to this every Wednesday/Thursday with new guests with cracking stories. Mundy and Logue are great at this

This week was Shaun McManus. Well worth a watch. Man, just want Fremantle to win a premiership for these Freo Alumini- Macca is as passionate as they come.

It’s time for this ripper of a podcast to have its own thread

Good call.

Yes the McManus pod was a ripper. Some great stories in there*. The previous pod with Blake Acres was excellent, too.

*Macca doing a runner at Woolies leaving honest Andy Brayshaw to pay for his groceries. LolWTF Shaun. 😂

Might have to invest in some OBYB merch'.

I was just looking at Shaun's history the other day on the back of a couple of posters arguing about the merits of his football.

Don't know if it comes up in the discussion as I haven't got to viewing the podcast yet, but one interesting thing I saw was that when Shaun did his knee the first time in a Round 3 derby in 1997 he had polled a 3 and a 2 in the Brownlow in first two games of the season.

I was just looking at Shaun's history the other day on the back of a couple of posters arguing about the merits of his football.

Don't know if it comes up in the discussion as I haven't got the viewing the podcast yet, but one interesting thing I saw was that when Shaun did his knee the first time in a Round 3 derby in 1997 he had polled a 3 and a 2 in first two games of the season.
That gets a run

Don't know if it comes up in the discussion as I haven't got to viewing the podcast yet, but one interesting thing I saw was that when Shaun did his knee the first time in a Round 3 derby in 1997 he had polled a 3 and a 2 in the Brownlow in first two games of the season.
He got a horrid time from many Freo supporters on game day, despite his insane bravery and passion for the club. Lots of abuse and many comments about him wearing clown shoes. Seemed he got a lot of the blame for our lack of success, the Freo crowd were not great to him. Thankfully we have got better.

He got a horrid time from many Freo supporters on game day, despite his insane bravery and passion for the club. Lots of abuse and many comments about him wearing clown shoes. Seemed he got a lot of the blame for our lack of success, the Freo crowd were not great to him. Thankfully we have got better.
He was the best player of the 95-01 era which was a hopeless time for the club. I enjoyed that period as a kid, but the frustration of McManus's kicking being all over the shop got too long in the tooth by the time we were trying to be a serious contender.

Liked that he mentioned he used to like to fly for a few marks. The knee injuries robbed him of a bit of spring. Actually can remember Dunstall (when he was still a player) talking about being surprised by Shaun's marking ability on one of those weekend review football programs.

He also had a candy sell in the early days that was really subtle. He'd bounce the ball and the oncoming opposition player would be sidestepped with a bit of a shimmy.

I know he wasn't always the best of kicks. The first time I saw him was in a pre-season WAFL game. There were two EF players starring that I hadn't seen before and they both looked (to my mind) like surfy dudes. Shaun McManus and Justin Sanders. They both had youth and energy and got a stack of the ball - then was one moment where Mcmanus miskicked it to Sanders on the lead and the ball got to him in circular grubber trajectory and Sanders picked it up perfectly then shanked his kick out of bounds.

Loved this one with Shaun Mac!

My favourite ones have been the Tommy Sheridan episode and also Sean Darcy was a belter.

Worst one being JL 😂 I am the resident JL stan around here but he’s too awkward for this

Interesting, my knowledge was that he was a fan favourite, certainly was around my neck of the woods

Mascot always seemed to be based on him and Clive (was brought up in the poddy) especially the original mascot reminded me of McManus (post grinder and pre Johnny and Jenny doc)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting, my knowledge was that he was a fan favourite, certainly was around my neck of the woods

Mascot always seemed to be based on him and Clive (was brought up in the poddy) especially the original mascot reminded me of McManus (post grinder and pre Johnny and Jenny doc)
McManus is a fan favourite and even more so with his media career. Unfortunately he always had a very vocal minority of Freo people who spent the whole game waiting for a skill error to unload on him (even after a great game to that point). We all acknowledge that Freo teams, in the past, have been less skilful than others and we all get frustrated by skill errors but a braver and more Freo player you could not get than Shaun.

I liked how he remembered Nick Holland winning the rising star but not remembering him absolutley flattening him.

Actually how could he remember it? Sent him flying

Loved this one with Shaun Mac!

My favourite ones have been the Tommy Sheridan episode and also Sean Darcy was a belter.

Worst one being JL 😂 I am the resident JL stan around here but he’s too awkward for this
Favourites in order

1. Tommy Sheridan - quality banter and stories
2. Brayshaw - good mix of humour, freo info and me being a fanboy
3. Darcy - Big darce is actually very eloquent, pretty funny/goofy, and a quality person
4. Pavlich - just coz its pav and great stories
5. Tabs - Great to hear his side of the story to all the tabs stories

Also great to see Mundy and Logue down at the club during the bye not off partying in Bali

Me too.

Glad to see this thread, sat back with a couple of beers and enjoyed the banter, great to get some insight from within the club and hear a few stories… JL always the first to hit the bar, and that kidnapping by the serial kidnapper (can’t remember who) of Troy Cook was hilarious, can just imagine it 😁

Would love a Clive interview!

Last edited:
Me too.

Glad to see this thread, sat back with a couple of beers and enjoyed the banter, great to get some insight from within the club and hear a few stories… JL always the first to hit the bar, and that kidnapping by the serial kidnapper (can’t remember who) of Troy Cook was hilarious, can just imagine it 😁

Would love a Clive interview!
Matt Carr

This cast is pretty good.
Almost as good as will Schofield's. Mainly because of the swearing and nothing is off limits. 😂😂 Mundy and logue have to hold back a bit and toe the party line..😊

Remove this Banner Ad

Back