Old Footy Records now online

Remove this Banner Ad

RogersResults

Premiership Player
May 7, 2009
Wagga Wagga
I think the images presented in the browser and PDF offered up from the "PDF issue" link have different methodologies.

The TROVE newspaper images in the browser are JPEG 'tiles', each 256 x 256 pixels and approx 7 to 20 kb each - depending on the zoom setting. Can't notice any real difference between a screen print at 100% zoom compared to a downloaded JPEG or PDF at 100% zoom.

The images in the Google News Archive are also 256 x 256 pixel JPEG tiles.

The online Football Records are all PDF's that appear in a custom PDF viewer - some of which seem to have been scanned at too high a resolution.

Dec 18, 2002
demonwiki.org
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon, Atlanta Braves
I see what you mean about the sizeable pages - the 1912/1913 ones downloaded easily and 1914 is a lot slower.

Also, continuing the trend of finding tidbits which contradict accepted footy history I see that Len Incigneri is announced as Melbourne coach in 1914 when everything everywhere else shows Alex Hall continuing in the job that year.

RogersResults

Premiership Player
May 7, 2009
Wagga Wagga
I see what you mean about the sizeable pages - the 1912/1913 ones downloaded easily and 1914 is a lot slower.

Also, continuing the trend of finding tidbits which contradict accepted footy history I see that Len Incigneri is announced as Melbourne coach in 1914 when everything everywhere else shows Alex Hall continuing in the job that year.

They say they are working on the problem of the humungous sizes of the latest editions. A query from you might help speed them up.

The line between coach and captain in the first decade or so appears pretty fuzzy. When Dave Hickinbotham coached Geelong 1910-11 he made it clear that his function ceased when the team took the field on match day. It was expected that the captain would make any positional changes etc during the match.

After 1911 Bill Eason who had been captain under Hickinbotham took on the title of coach as well.

There was also no opportunity for the coach at the time to address the players at 1/4 and 3/4 time so the captain's role was certainly more important regarding team tactics.

Regarding Len Incigneri, my family knew a Len Incigneri who had been captain of Hastings at some stage, same person?

Dec 18, 2002
demonwiki.org
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Regarding Len Incigneri, my family knew a Len Incigneri who had been captain of Hastings at some stage, same person?

Yep, this one originally recruited from Hastings. (http://demonwiki.org/Len+Incigneri)

Later named as back pocket in the Italian Team of the Century. Record clearly says he was appointed coach and was 'later expected to be named Captain'

A record later in the year says that Alec Hall was coaching Williamstown in 1914 so I'm pretty confident that he wasn't in charge at the MFC in 1914 and records given in most places are incorrect.

Not a huge alteration to the course of history but worth a mention. Have passed it on to the MFC historian to see if there's any more info about this.

/nerd

RogersResults

Premiership Player
May 7, 2009
Wagga Wagga
Yep, this one originally recruited from Hastings. (http://demonwiki.org/Len+Incigneri)

Later named as back pocket in the Italian Team of the Century. Record clearly says he was appointed coach and was 'later expected to be named Captain'

A record later in the year says that Alec Hall was coaching Williamstown in 1914 so I'm pretty confident that he wasn't in charge at the MFC in 1914 and records given in most places are incorrect.

Not a huge alteration to the course of history but worth a mention. Have passed it on to the MFC historian to see if there's any more info about this.

/nerd

A lot of 'history' is material copied from a source that was incorrect in the first place. Sources I checked have Alec Hall as coach for 1914. Be interesting to see if your find rewrites 'history'.

Keep digging.

davefromjerra

All Australian
Mar 3, 2005
Magnetic Island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
From Round 1 1912 - still true today :D

Everybody who is healthy-minded
takes the keenest interest in the game.
Of course, there are many who are
wedded to the ancient Rugby and
British Association — both good
enough in their way, but neither to
be compared with the Australian,
either as a game or a spectacle.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Interesting to browse through the Record for Round 4, 1946 (page 12). The match report for the St. Kilda vs Footscray game from the previous week details the exploits of Sam Loxton (6 goals) and Keith Miller at full back, both still two years away from being part of The Invincibles.

Apr 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Interesting to browse through the Record for Round 4, 1946 (page 12). The match report for the St. Kilda vs Footscray game from the previous week details the exploits of Sam Loxton (6 goals) and Keith Miller at full back, both still two years away from being part of The Invincibles.

One of the only times where two test cricketers played in the same match together?

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Not legendary names in the history of Australian Test cricket, but Barlow Carkeek and Dave Smith played together for Essendon during 1904 and 1905, whilst Roy Park and Bert Hartkopf played together for University during 1914.

Oct 22, 2000
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong

/nerd

The Record for Round 2 1914, played on 2nd May, confirms Incigneri as Melbourne coach. Page 15 of that issue includes the following:
"Len Incigneri has been elected captain of the Melbourne team. Thus he is coach and captain, like Percy Parratt, of Fitzroy."

Dec 18, 2002
demonwiki.org
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Yep, I saw that and am now absolutely sure that the history of our coaches needs to be altered.

I've made the changes in my records, will also be changing a lot of player numbers which have been shown to be different to the current historic lists over multiple editions of the Record.

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I have a question about these scanned Footy Records.
Is the only option to actually 'download' each page before viewing it.
Is there no way of simply 'viewing' the scanned page in the document (much like the Trove site).

Cheers
Rhett Bartlett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RogersResults

Premiership Player
May 7, 2009
Wagga Wagga
I have a question about these scanned Footy Records.
Is the only option to actually 'download' each page before viewing it.
Is there no way of simply 'viewing' the scanned page in the document (much like the Trove site).

Cheers
Rhett Bartlett.

In correspondence with them they say that is a problem that they are aware of and are working on it. At present the best solution seems to be to download the whole record - around 30mb. Otherwise individual pages of some editions can be 20mb in size.

Also I've found that using Google Chrome in downloading a compete edition to work the best.

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Thank you Mr Rogers.

These digitisations will assist me grately as I slowly work on my next footy publication.

Is there a specific 'download all' button you can press to get the whole Record downloaded at once. Or do you have to click on individual pages and therefore they each are downloaded to a separate page?

Regards
Rhett

RogersResults

Premiership Player
May 7, 2009
Wagga Wagga
Thank you Mr Rogers.

These digitisations will assist me grately as I slowly work on my next footy publication.

Is there a specific 'download all' button you can press to get the whole Record downloaded at once. Or do you have to click on individual pages and therefore they each are downloaded to a separate page?

Regards
Rhett

Yes there is. There is a "download" button that should appear next to the "view" button.

If you are using Google Chrome as your browser after clicking the "download" button you will see the following message.

"
In Copyright

Copyright has been assigned to the State Library of Victoria.
Conditions of use

The State Library of Victoria is providing access to this work to support creativity, innovation and knowledge-exchange. The State Library of Victoria does not endorse or support any derogatory uses of this work.
In using this work you agree to acknowledge the work's creator and the State Library of Victoria as the source of the work."

And a big button which has on it "Download Document (PDF format) - Warning this is a large file".

Note: On my computer this does not work properly with Firefox or Internet Explorer 8. Only with the current version of Google Chrome.

Note Also: Site has this message at the moment: (Which may mean that are fixing the Football Record viewing problem - if not you could give them a 'hurry-up')

Due to maintenance work, some images and other digitised content will be unavailable from 6pm AEST Friday 22 July until early Saturday 23 July.

Dec 18, 2002
demonwiki.org
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
So it's Len in and Alec out for 1914? Also I'd be interested in any number changes you come up with.

I'll put the first few years together on here when I've finished 1921.

A handful of them are possible mid-year changes, but some are absolute certainties.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back