Old Footy Records now online

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, this one originally recruited from Hastings. (http://demonwiki.org/Len+Incigneri)

Later named as back pocket in the Italian Team of the Century. Record clearly says he was appointed coach and was 'later expected to be named Captain'

A record later in the year says that Alec Hall was coaching Williamstown in 1914 so I'm pretty confident that he wasn't in charge at the MFC in 1914 and records given in most places are incorrect.

Not a huge alteration to the course of history but worth a mention. Have passed it on to the MFC historian to see if there's any more info about this.

/nerd

Did you ever get a response from MFC about this ?

I notice the AFL stats site still shows Hall for 1914, and the MFC website has an Honour Board is so out of date it ends at 2008 !

Got told they were looking into it, then nothing. The evidence is there in those Footy Records that Incigneri was coach from R1 and until I see something else from that era which says otherwise I'm sticking with what I've found.

Got told they were looking into it, then nothing. The evidence is there in those Footy Records that Incigneri was coach from R1 and until I see something else from that era which says otherwise I'm sticking with what I've found.

Oh, there is no doubt about it. I remember thinking at the time of your initial post what a great find it was.

Trove seems to be having a "screen image" technical issue this afternoon, so can't post the usual link - but this text extract from The Argus, 1st May 1914 is more evidence confirming your original find in that Record:

"Melbourne had probably the hardest task of any team last week, for, with a re-organised side, they had to meet last year's premiers, who had not a recruit in the ranks. Melbourne will do better than that. Their coach and captain, L. Incigneri, has been hard at work this week strengthening the weak spot, and the Fuchsias to-morrow should be a different side."

The news of his appointment was even making suburban newspapers e.g. this from the Mornington Standard, 25th April 1914: "Mr L. Incigneri has been appointed coach of the Melbourne team, and in all probability, will be elected captain."

So it's Len in and Alec out for 1914? Also I'd be interested in any number changes you come up with.

Have got quite a few from the early days. Will summarise in this thread when I've got some time with explanation so we can separate potential printing errors from rock solid certainties .

So it's Len in and Alec out for 1914? Also I'd be interested in any number changes you come up with.

Have got quite a few from the early days. Will summarise in this thread when I've got some time with explanation so we can separate potential printing errors from rock solid certainties .

Oh, there is no doubt about it. I remember thinking at the time of your initial post what a great find it was.

Trove seems to be having a "screen image" technical issue this afternoon, so can't post the usual link - but this text extract from The Argus, 1st May 1914 is more evidence confirming your original find in that Record:

"Melbourne had probably the hardest task of any team last week, for, with a re-organised side, they had to meet last year's premiers, who had not a recruit in the ranks. Melbourne will do better than that. Their coach and captain, L. Incigneri, has been hard at work this week strengthening the weak spot, and the Fuchsias to-morrow should be a different side."

The news of his appointment was even making suburban newspapers e.g. this from the Mornington Standard, 25th April 1914: "Mr L. Incigneri has been appointed coach of the Melbourne team, and in all probability, will be elected captain."

Thanks for that, now I'm 100% convinced. Poor Len, wiped out of history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was investigating for certain AFL records and found this forum. Really interesting reading and definitely bookmarking. Really keen to find some hardcopies to add to the collection though. Great find.

Was investigating for certain AFL records and found this forum. Really interesting reading and definitely bookmarking. Really keen to find some hardcopies to add to the collection though. Great find.
Hard copies will continue to be found at the usual places. eBay, garage sales, collector shops, word of mouth, house auctions & in the roof/garage of your grandfather's place. And be patient. Continue looking in the same places. They are out there!

Where on-line can I find a list of all Premiership players, including a list of players with Premierships with more than one VFL/AFL club?

Where can I find miscellaneous/trivia information on Families in football such as Father/Son combinations, brothers playing including things like most fairest and best, game and goal combinations?

Where can I find a list showing the first player and/or team to do or set a record for each club and/or an overall record for the league, such as games played including milestones, goals scored including milestones, youngest and oldest players, fairest and bests, Brownlow Medallists, Leigh Matthew/MVP Medallists, Leading Goal kickers, Coleman Medallists, Premiership Teams, Pre-season Premierships and Norm Smith Medallists.

In general where can I find interesting stats and history that are not in the usual lists, such as Indigenous players in the game, players from other countries, players who have also excelled in other sporting codes as well?

Where on-line can I find a list of all Premiership players, including a list of players with Premierships with more than one VFL/AFL club?

Where can I find miscellaneous/trivia information on Families in football such as Father/Son combinations, brothers playing including things like most fairest and best, game and goal combinations?

Where can I find a list showing the first player and/or team to do or set a record for each club and/or an overall record for the league, such as games played including milestones, goals scored including milestones, youngest and oldest players, fairest and bests, Brownlow Medallists, Leigh Matthew/MVP Medallists, Leading Goal kickers, Coleman Medallists, Premiership Teams, Pre-season Premierships and Norm Smith Medallists.

In general where can I find interesting stats and history that are not in the usual lists, such as Indigenous players in the game, players from other countries, players who have also excelled in other sporting codes as well?
Go through old threads here in 'Stats' & 'Footy History'.

Footywire.com is a good place to start. As well as afltables.com. Comprehensive stat guide and pretty sure close to what you're after.

has anyone had any issues downloading any of the more recent files in full? a lot of the time i try download a full record and it gets half way through and the pdf file says failed to download and wont allow me to resume, some work ok others I have tried multiple times and never work, others work on the 5th or 6th attempt and its very frustrating

Does anyone know what has happened to the 1996-2001 Footy Records? A couple of days ago they were there, but when I went to check something tonight almost all issues from these years are gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back