Society & Culture Old People give me the shits

Remove this Banner Ad

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'll preface this by mentioning that I turn 50 in a month but I'm sure as * I'll never be as annoying as some of these walking dead.

I work in finance, customer service facing industry, let's call it banking. A suburb with a high amount of affluent old people. Every morning they line up about 1/2 an hour before opening, looking at their watches whilst in front of the opening hours on the window.
Then as soon as the door opens, they're in like its the Great Wall St crash of 1929. Just in case we run out of money.
They whip out their passbooks, because they don't trust internet banking and withdraw the same amount of money every day. They complain about the queue, even though it's full of other grey haired old pricks that hold everyone up, if you had a debit card you could withdraw from the ATM like most normal people. Nup, they shy away from that suggestion like I'm Van Helsing holding a ******* crucifix and they're ******* Dracula. Okay then, stop carrying on and wait in the queue then, for the remaining days you have left of your life.
Let me tell you about how rude some of these zombies are, wouldn't dare think about walking into a hairdresser for a $90 trim and blue rinse so they make an appointment. But when it comes time to renew a $50,000 term deposit they expect to walk straight in and huff and puff when we are fully booked with appointments and they have to wait 5 minutes. So you think a haircut is more important to book than the remainder of your ******* life savings?
These arseholes will push into the queue in front of other people, doesn't matter where, supermarket , chemist, bank etc
If I had to give a percentage of society that has bad attitudes and the world owes me a living, the over 50's would be in the 70-80% range of bad attitudes and social niceties.
These are the same pricks that complain about the youth of today, well the youth we deal with have far better customer behaviour and attitude than you old coots.

The sooner these grey ghosts shuffle off to the afterlife the better.

I have no issue with old people wanting to go into the bank to talk to a person, go into the post office etc. because that's what they've always done. I've taught boomer parents how to use Microsoft Word. I cannot even imagine explaining internet banking to someone born in the 20s or 30s. If you want to put down to the shops and wander around aimlessly that's fine. If you need help reaching something from a high shelf or lifting a bag of potting mix into the car that's fine. Eat dinner at 5.30, complain about 'darkies', whatever...

But for the love of Christ do you have to do it right when everyone else does? My local post office is busy roughly 8.30-9am, 12-1pm and about 430-5pm (I think it closes at 5). Why is it busy then? People on their way to work, people ducking in during lunch breaks, people on their way home from work/after school runs. None of them really want to be there, they are trying to get in and out as quick as they can when their schedules allow. And they're all stuck in the queue behind Mavis who decided she needs to be there at 8.29am, will take 10 minutes to do something that (could probably be done without going there at all but I've covered that) most people only need a minute for, then go home. Why can't you go at 10 or 11 Mavis? The friendly staff would love to stop and chat then when they aren't frantically trying to serve 10 people who all have other places to be.

Ever been to Coles at say 10am on a Tuesday? Hardly anyone there. Heaven. When do the oldies go and do their shopping? 4-6pm weekdays and Saturday lunch time of course. Why? Do you reach a certain age where your brain says 'you know what, I'm old, I'm slow, I hate crowds and loud noises and screaming kids so I'm going to maximise my exposure to those things and make routine tasks harder for myself'? I've had periods of time off during the week and as someone who is regularly tied up business hours it's cathartic getting food shopping out of the way before lunch time on a Wednesday, wandering into the post office or bank at 2pm and seeing no queues.

I'll preface this by mentioning that I turn 50 in a month but I'm sure as fu** I'll never be as annoying as some of these walking dead.

I work in finance, customer service facing industry, let's call it banking. A suburb with a high amount of affluent old people. Every morning they line up about 1/2 an hour before opening, looking at their watches whilst in front of the opening hours on the window.
Then as soon as the door opens, they're in like its the Great Wall St crash of 1929. Just in case we run out of money.
They whip out their passbooks, because they don't trust internet banking and withdraw the same amount of money every day. They complain about the queue, even though it's full of other grey haired old pricks that hold everyone up, if you had a debit card you could withdraw from the ATM like most normal people. Nup, they shy away from that suggestion like I'm Van Helsing holding a ******* crucifix and they're ******* Dracula. Okay then, stop carrying on and wait in the queue then, for the remaining days you have left of your life.
Let me tell you about how rude some of these zombies are, wouldn't dare think about walking into a hairdresser for a $90 trim and blue rinse so they make an appointment. But when it comes time to renew a $50,000 term deposit they expect to walk straight in and huff and puff when we are fully booked with appointments and they have to wait 5 minutes. So you think a haircut is more important to book than the remainder of your ******* life savings?
These arseholes will push into the queue in front of other people, doesn't matter where, supermarket , chemist, bank etc
If I had to give a percentage of society that has bad attitudes and the world owes me a living, the over 50's would be in the 70-80% range of bad attitudes and social niceties.
These are the same pricks that complain about the youth of today, well the youth we deal with have far better customer behaviour and attitude than you old coots.

If you have your lunch at Subway, you might be in a bit of trouble.

Old people and Subway stores are a bad combination as they:

1. Push full trolleys into the stores with limited space
2. Count out small denominations of coins to pay for their sandwiches with long queues waiting
3. Visit Subway at peak times when people are on their lunch breaks.
4. Ask if products such as vegemite are available
5. Ask what's in a meatball sub
6. Ask how long it takes to get a chicken sub
7. Ask which types of subs are available in the store
8. Ask for subs that were discontinued years ago
9. Go through the microeconomic benefits in great detail with the attendants of buying a foot-long sub over a six inch or three cookies for the price of two at a busy time
10. Ask how you operate the soft drink machine
11. Go through the properties of each type of sauce in intricate details, before deciding that sweet onion sauce (used with teriyaki chicken subs) is ideal for a pizza sub.
12. Bring dogs into Subway

I honestly opened this thread expecting that it had been created by a youngin. Turns out it’s an oldie who dislikes oldies :p
Age is just a number :)

I'm 49 you cnut and still run a 5k in 21m. :drunk:

Fair dinkum, these pricks have all day to do stuff. Instead they insist on getting in early, counting out bagful's of coin whilst holding up people on their lunchbreak, arguing about how the government is corrupt and drop in subtle racism at every chance.
* me, if I get another one in that wants to whinge about all the fees they've been charged, despite the fact that they have a deeming account that DOESN'T HAVE ANY ******* FEES ON IT, I'll tip you're ******* shopping trolley over and stomp all over your Earl Grey and turn your Milk Arrowroot biscuits into crumbs.
You want to know where our reputation for racism came from, sit with one of these old bastards for just 5 minutes and they'll be dropping the words "blacks, Asians, Muslims and lazy aboriginals" as long as you let them.
* That, I don't want to get any older if this is what is in store

Trying to give advice to the yoof, because they watch A Current Affair and are therefore in the loop and completely in touch with society today.
Ah yes, the old "I'll go to the media" threat because we don't have 58 tellers in a branch anymore like the old days and you may have to wait a minute or two.
Maybe if you learnt modern technology like an app or internet banking you could sit at home with your blanket on your lap and not get in everyone's way on the footpath

I like old people, not all but the ones who are genuine people with good morals and are interesting to talk to. Got an elderly neighbour who is always up for a chat (and I'm pretty non chatty in general) and she is great with our kids.

Always feel bad when I abuse a bad driver and then see they are probably 80 odd. No doubt probably shouldn't be driving, but good on them. We will all be old one day so a bit of leeway is a good thing I reckon.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

sit with one of these old bastards for just 5 minutes and they'll be dropping the words "blacks, Asians, Muslims and lazy aboriginals" as long as you let them.
Gee, have you just described my 84-year-old Grandpa?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think you'll change your attitude to people/life when you are 84?

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk
No idea lol. Who knows what kind of planet we will even have by the time I get to that age - if I make it to that age, touchwood.

Gee, have you just described my 84-year-old Grandpa?!
Was so surprised (and a little taken a back) when i heard my 94YO grand father refer to the Australian Indigenous. Yes im refering to the Shortened version, or the N word for that matter.

I understand its common place for people of that generation but i still don't agree with him, may god rest his soul

I'll preface this by mentioning that I turn 50 in a month but I'm sure as fu** I'll never be as annoying as some of these walking dead.

You grumpy old bastard.

Ah yes, the old "I'll go to the media" threat because we don't have 58 tellers in a branch anymore like the old days and you may have to wait a minute or two.
Maybe if you learnt modern technology like an app or internet banking you could sit at home with your blanket on your lap and not get in everyone's way on the footpath
Tipping your favourite old movie was Soylent Green...

You already are.

Nice old person whinge

Welcome to old age

Remove this Banner Ad

Back