Society & Culture Old People give me the shits

Remove this Banner Ad

Not all old people are a pain in the ass. Some are, don't get me wrong, but there are dicks in every single age bracket. Some are widowed and live alone, don't see their family much and a pretty lonely. They go out to get some face to face communication.

When I broke up a dog fight about two months ago (involving my dog yes, 100% not my fault and cleared by ranger as other dog was off lead) it happened near a set of units that a majority lived in by 60+ year old residents. I was covered in blood and had one of my fingers ripped open. Three elderly women helped cleaned me up and calmed me down, making sure I was ok. Meanwhile a 20-something female bitch was antagonizing me and making out like my dog was the problem and then yelling T me when I screamed that I needed to get my dog home and clean the blood off of myself.

Old people are alright in my book.

I am surprised this still happens. I worked briefly as a bank Johnny in the mid 90s. Hated every minute of it too. This used to happen every pension day. Surprised it is still happening today, I would have thought 20 years later that most of them are no longer with us and the current older generation would have long experience with cards and electronic banking. A person of 65 or 70 would have been in their early 20s when ATMs were introduced, they would have been all new and exciting back then. Surprised they are changing back to passbooks and queues.

I honestly think I've rarely seen anything like most of the examples mentioned. Can I just check if I have the gist of the thread correct?
  • We resent customers who make our service roles a bit more difficult and ensure that someone with some skill, intelligence, training, patience and decency gets a job, instead of a kiosk.
  • We're basically advocating for 'no oldies' hours at places of business.
:oops:
The supermarket's an oft used example. I know late morning is quiet where I go, but I'm not sure I could tell you the busy time. It's always fine, doesn't seem to matter if I go straight after work, 10am on Saturday, or 15 minutes before closing.

I don't mind avoiding a crowd when there's an opportunity myself. That's why I like to get lunch before 11:45 or after 2 if I'm going out during the week. I actually prefer to go to a place where you'll have your pick of table, rather than a burger joint where they hand you a menu in the queue out on the street and the tables are so close together they look like they've just sawed them in half.

If I'm going to the post office, it's like a bar. If I'm behind someone they might be getting two draught stubbies, or five cocktails all with different ingredients. They got there first so I'm obliged to wait. That's life.

I am surprised this still happens. I worked briefly as a bank Johnny in the mid 90s. Hated every minute of it too. This used to happen every pension day. Surprised it is still happening today, I would have thought 20 years later that most of them are no longer with us and the current older generation would have long experience with cards and electronic banking. A person of 65 or 70 would have been in their early 20s when ATMs were introduced, they would have been all new and exciting back then. Surprised they are changing back to passbooks and queues.

It's really weird. My mother always had a Bankcard as long as I can remember. Carried incidental cash for walking around, but mostly used the card for bigger purchases, and paid it off at the end of the month. Nowadays though - always seems to be carrying large amounts of cash. Took her for an appointment the other day. Cost was 350. She paid cash. Terrible thing age, especially when the cliff comes.

I drove my dad to the bank when I was down in Melbourne twice in 2 weeks
He only has a book
There was no one in there when he went in both times.
So no one was inconvenienced and the girl behind the counter was nice.
Also took him to the post office to pay his bills.

No way is he getting a card he knows the people and he likes the outing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Todays world isnt like it used to be, Back in my day!"

Yeah it is, thank you for causing that fu**-face, I dont see anyone 30 and under with the power to shape society
No single person of any age bracket has the power to shape society. The government does.

Things my age group do now will be looked down upon in sixty years and the younguns then will say "this is all Gen Z and Y's fault" all the same.

No single person of any age bracket has the power to shape society. The government does.

Things my age group do now will be looked down upon in sixty years and the younguns then will say "this is all Gen Z and Y's fault" all the same.

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room.

-Corey Worthington, or some weird old Greek Dude, Whatevs

Bank teller goes postal. See what happens next!
Do they have bank tellers any more?
My first job was in the bank but rarely did the bank telling. I quit after 8 months as did not like the industry. Banking is so different now though. Most of us use online banking or ATM's. Only go into a branch once or twice a year. I imagine it is same for most people.Not many people use cheques now and the ATM's mean handling cash is not a big need inside. Plus many of us use EFTPOS too, so visiting the bank is just such a rare event now.

I'd actually think most of the stuff in branches now is more about dealing with people setting up loans, re-financing, term deposits and such things but the mundane stuff of withdrawals and basic deposits surely is so little now.

Its not necessarily age its people that dont want to change. My Dad is in his mid 70s and has learnt how to use the internet and phone apps. He loves it. My father in law on the other hand is younger but hates new technology.

You see middle age people who are stuck in their ways and will suffer when they are in their senior years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back