Club History Old Port Adelaide song

Remove this Banner Ad

The `We've beaten the best in Australia ' verse was definitely still in use in the late 1960's, but I have never heard that old song in it's entirety before.
The Maggies used to play South Melbourne in trial matches from about 1968 to 1973 and I believe Big Bob liked their song so much that the club took on the `Cheer Cheer the Black and the White ' version around 1971.

Hmm ... and nobody at this proud tough club thought of ditching a pub song and getting a better victory song after 100 years of existence?

Still, not as bad as Glenelg's old original.

Hmm ... and nobody at this proud tough club thought of ditching a pub song and getting a better victory song after 100 years of existence?

Still, not as bad as Glenelg's old original.

Was that song, `a tiger for me, a tiger for me, if you're not a tiger you're no good to me?' ;)

The pride of port Adelaide...
Looks like the clowns burrowed from that song also..
Wow, do any SANFL clubs have ‘The Pride of’ in their songs?

If not, there must have been some memory of this when the decision was made for it to be a Crows tag line and not 100% coincidental.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like it.
It's like finding a HK Bathurst Monaro at the wreckers. Sure it's a piece of s**t at first but with some work it's an Aussie classic.
"You'll find us at the bar"
"Cane them up like you used to do"

There is a bit to work with there.

The step up in tempo is the best part.

Stumbled across this on Youtube.

Never heard it before.

Not sure when Bob McLean changed the song to "Cheer Cheer" but this was at least in use as early as 1921.

View attachment 435452

"And if we're not at Football
You will find us at the bar"

That's great!

---
P.S.:

"It could be the early hour
But are you sure it is for real?
I don't see the name 'Power'
I couldn't find silver and teal"

"And if we're not at Football
You will find us at the bar"

That's great!

---
P.S.:

"It could be the early hour
But are you sure it is for real?
I don't see the name 'Power'
I couldn't find silver and teal"
I don’t see any magenta or blue and white hoops either. The first team changed it.

I don’t see any magenta or blue and white hoops either. The first team changed it.

Different thread, PB. I have written those verses for fun sake. There is nothing to do with what we were talking elsewhere. I know that the poem is bad, but you could smile a bit more. Never take me too seriously.

Still, since we are at it here, this is a song clearly written for the Magpies. My point THERE is that there are three entities, one club and two teams:

Port Adelaide Football Club
... | ................... | ..........
Power (AFL) .. Magpies (SANFL)

The club CAN change its colors. PAFC did it once. However, it did NOT when joined the AFL. It simply added teal and silver to its AFL team. PAFC remained black and white, and those are the common colors of its teams.

Wow, do any SANFL clubs have ‘The Pride of’ in their songs?

If not, there must have been some memory of this when the decision was made for it to be a Crows tag line and not 100% coincidental.
As you would already know, the Crows song, music and lyrics, is taken from the Marine's Hymn which contains the line "We are proud to claim the title of United States Marine". The US Marines are not claiming to be the "pride of" anyone but instead that they are proud to be US Marines. It is the arrogant AFC that changed that lyric to be "The pride of South Australia" when it should have been "We are proud to be South Australian". They may well have got this idea from a Ports' song but I don't they would have been aware of that song.

I'd actually like to hear a remixed version that doesn't sound like it's being sung by a bunch of drunks in a bar. There's some potential there somewhere.

It sounded like the background noise from The Alberton Front Bar podcast.

As posted earlier this was a club song from around 1882. It was published in a newspaper as a tribute to Thomas Smith after his retirement from what I can gather.

As Prison Bars highlighted, it's base tune was also used by Manchester United.

The boys would need the bye after singing through this in its entirety.

IMG_0588.jpg

As posted earlier this was a club song from around 1882. It was published in a newspaper as a tribute to Thomas Smith after his retirement from what I can gather.

As Prison Bars highlighted, it's base tune was also used by Manchester United.

The boys would need the bye after singing through this in its entirety.

View attachment 435558

That chorus is GLORIOUS!

So much better than our current song (which I don't hate).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back