Old Scholars Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Couple of questions from last nights OSFA B@F.

why would you award coach of the year to a coach that has one win for the season? and why would Josh Hall, who won the goal kicking award not be named at full forward when that is where he plays.

The live stream was a great initiative.

why would you award coach of the year to a coach that has one win for the season? and why would Josh Hall, who won the goal kicking award not be named at full forward when that is where he plays.

Been some mystifying ones across the board this year.
Like the SFL when Mick Paul got north of 40 touches, 25 marks and kicked 6.8 in a 50 point win over Hobart and didn't even poll a vote.
Or the Claremont bloke that finished second that kicked 7 in the last roster game and got about 25-30 touches and didn't poll either.
Lawler from Huonville that won the medal didn't even come close to winning the Huonville B&F either!!
Bit like Buddy Franklin being captain of the AA Team!

Why would someone who played barely half the amount of games get picked in team of the year?

do not worry about practice match form, i understand DOSA has been at full strength
against very depleted opposition teams

Practice match form, against depleted teams or not must of worked, back to back in both grades for DOSA. Has it been done before?

Is the Rep match going to continue in 2020?

Interesting to see St Virgils go on a bit of a spending spree. Some handy names already signed on for the next year or two.

Be upwards of $60k at least being thrown about. Wouldn't of thought that sort of money is going to last for more than a few seasons??

Other association clubs may need to bail the Saints out in 2023, again!!

Interesting to see St Virgils go on a bit of a spending spree. Some handy names already signed on for the next year or two.

Be upwards of $60k at least being thrown about. Wouldn't of thought that sort of money is going to last for more than a few seasons??

I'm sure they would have it all worked out, surely not going to put the future of the club at risk for one big year of spending.

I'm sure they would have it all worked out, surely not going to put the future of the club at risk for one big year of spending.

Looks like it could be a big year for the OSFA in 2021. St.Virgils will improve, OHA strong again you’d assume. Hutchins and DOSA thereabouts, Roosters supposedly picked up a few recruits and some ex players returning.Richmond and UNI not sure about.

Judging by some of the recruits coming in it appears the league is definitely going to another level.

Heard a rumour that SVOSFC have spent $80k on their "Coaches" this year? o_O

Anyone heard whether Richmond are coming back into the fold and if the ODFA are going ahead for 2021?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard much about Richmond? Haven’t named any recruits yet and talk is they are really battling. Would they be accepted into ODFA if could only get one team?

Would likely be accepted. Zero chance of an application though, IMO.

Heard much about Richmond? Haven’t named any recruits yet and talk is they are really battling. Would they be accepted into ODFA if could only get one team?
Bit strange to hear there struggling so much there always been really strong in the old scholars which is a good achievement considering there a country club . I know Gilmore took some players when he left didn’t think is was that bad though they might regret sitting out this season as its generally not that easy for clubs when they have sat out seasons to get up and running again quickly you would think though they would dominate if they went down to odfa level

Yeah you would think they must be paying Bowden a fair whack to get him
Have heard he was on good money at Glenorchy for tsl standards anyway will dominate that’s foreshore

Bit strange to hear there struggling so much there always been really strong in the old scholars which is a good achievement considering there a country club . I know Gilmore took some players when he left didn’t think is was that bad though they might regret sitting out this season as its generally not that easy for clubs when they have sat out seasons to get up and running again quickly you would think though they would dominate if they went down to odfa level
Sitting out the year has been their biggest hinderence. A large proportion of players played elsewhere and now are staying at the club they played for this year. Short sighted decision made on emotion rather then clear planning, its going to be a long journey back even if they get two sides. With the recruiting of other OS clubs they may face a lean year wins wise which will hinder their retention and recrutiment even further.

Sitting out the year has been their biggest hinderence. A large proportion of players played elsewhere and now are staying at the club they played for this year. Short sighted decision made on emotion rather then clear planning, its going to be a long journey back even if they get two sides. With the recruiting of other OS clubs they may face a lean year wins wise which will hinder their retention and recrutiment even further.

May not even get a side for 2021. Ridiculous decision to sit out last year.

May not even get a side for 2021. Ridiculous decision to sit out last year.
Yes, I know I've heard/seen a lot of finger pointing, blaming Alex Gilmour leaving for their issues, Hobart poaching their players as an excuse, but the fact of the matter is, the decision to go into recess for a season was a huge mistake - especially when all the other clubs all fielded teams.
Was pretty much the death-knell for that club right there and then.
Looking at the number of clubs that have gone down that path of going into recess over the past twenty or so years, the number of clubs to come back from it is minimal.
In fact, the only club I can recall doing so is Sorell when they went into recess in 2003 due to not being able to form a committee to operate the club.
Even then, after two or three good initial years after their return, they've been sitting down the bottom for over ten years now.

Yes, I know I've heard/seen a lot of finger pointing, blaming Alex Gilmour leaving for their issues, Hobart poaching their players as an excuse, but the fact of the matter is, the decision to go into recess for a season was a huge mistake - especially when all the other clubs all fielded teams.
Was pretty much the death-knell for that club right there and then.
Looking at the number of clubs that have gone down that path of going into recess over the past twenty or so years, the number of clubs to come back from it is minimal.
In fact, the only club I can recall doing so is Sorell when they went into recess in 2003 due to not being able to form a committee to operate the club.
Even then, after two or three good initial years after their return, they've been sitting down the bottom for over ten years now.

Or did they think they could make a heap of cash from Clarence playing home games at Richmond? lots of talk of Webberley coaching tjhem in season 2021, did they put all their eggs in one basket?

Or did they think they could make a heap of cash from Clarence playing home games at Richmond? lots of talk of Webberley coaching tjhem in season 2021, did they put all their eggs in one basket?
May well have done. Although the biggest problem for clubs trying to come back from recess has rarely been money but lack of players, getting even harder now with the numbers dropping every year.

Anyone been to any games so far in Old Scholars? Richmond looking very light on
Can someone explain how Richmond are already playing St Virgil’s a second time in Round 3? God help them if it’s a reasonable day and St Virgil’s are a lot more accurate than they were in Round 1!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back