Old Vfa grounds

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Where did Geelong West play their football ?
For some reason I remember a dog track or something outside the playing area.
Remember Fraser Murphy playing for them and eventually ending up at Carlton around 1984 season. Ended up playing in our 1987 premiership team.
Do Geelong West still exist as a club ?

Jane Doe

Club Legend
Sep 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Remember Fraser Murphy playing for them and eventually ending up at Carlton around 1984 season. Ended up playing in our 1987 premiership team.
Do Geelong West still exist as a club ?

I believe they are know known as Geelong West St Peters

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Just found this picture which answers my curiosity of the concrete just beyond the playing area.
West Oval it was called.
Junoirs-track-Oct-2014.jpg

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Just reading up on this.
They are going to become Geelong West Giants as of next season.

From local paper below earlier this month.

GEELONG West Cheetahs members have voted to proceed with a joint venture with Geelong West St-Peter’s.

The overwhelming majority of Cheetahs members in attendance at Bakers Oval on Thursday night agreed to the landmark decision that will see the two clubs playing under one Geelong West Giants banner from next season.

The Giants moniker is a nod to the GWS Giants, who will play a significant role in the alignment between the clubs, including providing off-field support in the form of sportsman’s nights, coaching, player availability for clinics and developing pathways to the Giants’ NEAFL and AFL lists.

Cheetahs’ executive chairman Paul Westcott described the mood in the clubrooms on Thursday as inquisitive and positive, and said it was a historic night for his club.

“There is no club in the entire area that has a side in the GFL and a side in the GDFL,” Westcott said.

“It is quite unique, it is quite special, and it will only benefit the Geelong West community by being able to have a pathway for the juniors to progress through.

“I can’t see a negative with this. It’s a positive thing, it’s not a negative thing, we’re not seeing a club disappearing, what we’re seeing is two clubs actually coming together and combining their resources.”

Next season the Giants will field teams in both the GFL and GDFL, with the plan to continue that arrangement when the AFL Barwon restructure comes into place in 2019.

Both Bakers Oval and West Oval will be available for both teams to use for training and events, and Westcott said while player movement between the two teams would be allowed, there would be limitations.

“We will be utilising Bakers oval fully, we’ll be utilising the Western Oval fully. The lights have just been upgraded at Bakers Oval so realistically there is a genuine second training facility for either side,” he said.

“It will be a super club that has seniors and reserves in division one, seniors and reserves in division three, and the same for all the netball.

“The next step is that it needs to be carefully planned and orchestrated so there is a meeting of members from Red and Blue next week to discuss planning and the executive, and the forming of positions to start to manage things from here on in.”

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Frankston Oval is quite possibly one of the best grounds in the country to watch footy at. Top surface, great views of the bay, just awesome.

North Freo, they used to have a team in the WAFL prior to about WW1.

Right beside the beautiful Swan River and the oldest Grandstand in WA.

Ph0iMkL.jpg

Yes that is boat moorings on the Swan at the back of the oval

Jqji0Cu.jpg

Was a VFA Boundary Ump for the period 1970 to very early 80's.
Umpired all grounds except Geelong West in that time

Some of the grounds (below) were in 2 divisions - think 12 Clubs Div 1 and 10 Clubs Div 2
Camberwell, Waverley, Port Melb, Oakleigh, Preston, Brunswick, Dandenong, Prahran, Werribee, Frankston (best ground to run on by a mile) and Sandringham came 2nd. Mordialloc, Williamstown, Yarraville, Northcote,

My memory has run out:oops:

Moorabbin, Brighton .... ceased prior 1970 VFA era

Will come back to it again:)

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Playing for Mordialloc U19's in I think it was Preston, somewhere north where the housing commission flats are pretty close to the ground, and some sniper with a slug gun was having some fun keeping us Mordi boys on our toes. Back in the glory days.

Playing for Mordialloc U19's in I think it was Preston, somewhere north where the housing commission flats are pretty close to the ground, and some sniper with a slug gun was having some fun keeping us Mordi boys on our toes. Back in the glory days.

Dad told me the weeks before the chelsea vs mordi games used to be "interesting" in the sixties

One year an all in caused the game between asy tech and mordi-chelsea to be cancelled. Next day chelsea (basically the full asy tech side) played mordi (basically the mordi chelsea side).

Dad told me the two sides ran out, looked at each other, and resumed the punch on with gusto. Poor ump didnt know about the day before, and had no idea wtf was going on

Dec 10, 2012
Approaching Apotheosis
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Was a VFA Boundary Ump for the period 1970 to very early 80's.
Umpired all grounds except Geelong West in that time

Some of the grounds (below) were in 2 divisions - think 12 Clubs Div 1 and 10 Clubs Div 2
Camberwell, Waverley, Port Melb, Oakleigh, Preston, Brunswick, Dandenong, Prahran, Werribee, Frankston (best ground to run on by a mile) and Sandringham came 2nd. Mordialloc, Williamstown, Yarraville, Northcote,

My memory has run out:oops:

Moorabbin, Brighton .... ceased prior 1970 VFA era

Will come back to it again:)

Prior to 1982 , 10 teams in each Div. , Coburg , Caulfield and Sunshine are the one's not listed :thumbsu:

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Dad told me the weeks before the chelsea vs mordi games used to be "interesting" in the sixties

One year an all in caused the game between asy tech and mordi-chelsea to be cancelled. Next day chelsea (basically the full asy tech side) played mordi (basically the mordi chelsea side).

Dad told me the two sides ran out, looked at each other, and resumed the punch on with gusto. Poor ump didnt know about the day before, and had no idea wtf was going on
Yup, Chelsea were a dirty mob! We only played them in practice matches when I played, as Mordi were VFA, but there was still plenty on the table. The Chelsea Hotel wasn't for the feint hearted.

Dec 10, 2012
Approaching Apotheosis
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Yup, Chelsea were a dirty mob! We only played them in practice matches when I played, as Mordi were VFA, but there was still plenty on the table. The Chelsea Hotel wasn't for the feint hearted.

Leigh and Kelvin Matthews were originally from Chelsea weren't they ?

Dad was a back pocket for chelsea....

Prior to 1982 , 10 teams in each Div. , Coburg , Caulfield and Sunshine are the one's not listed :thumbsu:

Thanks for that Stiubhart - cannot believe I missed those Clubs. Much appreciated.:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

That makes the 20 Clubs in the 70's

CrazyJoeFevola

Setanta Ó hAilpín’s official bigfooty butler 2007
Apr 14, 2013
Gardiner Stand Can Bar
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Preston, WIndies, Armagh GAA

Would've been Westgarth Street Oval (Northcote's ground), the Heidelberg Rd flats literally overlook the ground.

Back