List Mgmt. Older players and grooming replacements

Remove this Banner Ad

Thankfully we're a) no longer a club that culls anyone over the age of 30, and b) only have one player (Vince) of this age anyway.

It's a young best 22. However if we're going to transition seamlessly from 'side that maybe wins 7-10 games a year' to 'finals candidate' to 'contender' we've got to make sure any retirements don't leave gaping holes in the list.

Dawes and Lumumba are irrelevant, so not too worried about them. N Jones is 28 but IMO can probably play for another 5-7 years, such is his longevity/heart. Vince too should have miles in the legs, but at any rate I don't think we're lacking for midfield talent and even if he only has two or three more seasons in him after this one you'd hope that Viney, etc, have stepped up and we have 6-8 bonafide midfield guns in the 22.

With Kent around we won't be shot when Garlett goes, although having another few small forwards coming through wouldn't be the worst as it's a position we had zilch in for a long time before Jeffy. Small defender depth is actually quite good now behind the near on elite Jetta.

Major concern is Dunn IMO. Think we undervalue how consistent he is, which is more than can be said about TMac. It'd be a lot I think to expect Oscar to have come on by the time Dunn has left, and Garland really is less than a year younger. If we're sold on playing Frost forward I reckon a mature KPD (like Marcus Adams) should be a major recruiting concern, along with a back-up ruck that's not named Spencil.

Tbh I'm now seeing that this was a mostly pointless thread.

Thankfully we're a) no longer a club that culls anyone over the age of 30, and b) only have one player (Vince) of this age anyway.

It's a young best 22. However if we're going to transition seamlessly from 'side that maybe wins 7-10 games a year' to 'finals candidate' to 'contender' we've got to make sure any retirements don't leave gaping holes in the list.

Dawes and Lumumba are irrelevant, so not too worried about them. N Jones is 28 but IMO can probably play for another 5-7 years, such is his longevity/heart. Vince too should have miles in the legs, but at any rate I don't think we're lacking for midfield talent and even if he only has two or three more seasons in him after this one you'd hope that Viney, etc, have stepped up and we have 6-8 bonafide midfield guns in the 22.

With Kent around we won't be shot when Garlett goes, although having another few small forwards coming through wouldn't be the worst as it's a position we had zilch in for a long time before Jeffy. Small defender depth is actually quite good now behind the near on elite Jetta.

Major concern is Dunn IMO. Think we undervalue how consistent he is, which is more than can be said about TMac. It'd be a lot I think to expect Oscar to have come on by the time Dunn has left, and Garland really is less than a year younger. If we're sold on playing Frost forward I reckon a mature KPD (like Marcus Adams) should be a major recruiting concern, along with a back-up ruck that's not named Spencil.

Tbh I'm now seeing that this was a mostly pointless thread.
Is this a complicated "let's go after Hurley" thread? If it is, you should probably change the title to "the complicated lets go after Hurley" thread

Dunn has removed his Mo, Bugg is strong here but probably not best 22 in the next 5 years anyway, so I think the younger people on the list can step up.

I think Dom is losing his hair so will be a good replacement for Jones.

ONly other concern is Gawn, probably our only bearded player at the moment, would be hard to replace

Ruck is a concern, key backs are a concern.
Also think you're undervaluing Lumumba; was a big part of us looking good against North and the Pies.
Having said that I think finding running half backs is probably a bit easier than most other positions.

Ruck is a concern, key backs are a concern.
Also think you're undervaluing Lumumba; was a big part of us looking good against North and the Pies.
Having said that I think finding running half backs is probably a bit easier than most other positions.

Agree when he had the dreads, but with the new style I think this is easy enough to replicate grooming wise

How about Melksham, does he do anything useful?

Anyway I'm more concerned about finding suitable replacements for M Jones, Terlich, Dawes, Lumumba and Bail.

With all these superstars in the making it appears the club has neglected to bring in any quality whipping boys. Without the usual assortment of spuds to hang s**t on I'm not sure I'd really enjoy supporting Melbourne anymore.

Anyway I'm more concerned about finding suitable replacements for M Jones, Terlich, Dawes, Lumumba and Bail.

With all these superstars in the making it appears the club has neglected to bring in any quality whipping boys. Without the usual assortment of spuds to hang s**t on I'm not sure I'd really enjoy supporting Melbourne anymore.

Melksham will play the quarterback role, and hopefully allow Salem to move further up the ground.

#bringbackcale

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But my good friend, we will still have Jake Spencer!

Class is temporary, Spud is forever.

-Jay Kennedy-Harris is contracted to 2017, so there's another one to keep us busy
-Melksham til at least 2019 and he will get games coz of Goodwin, and his campaigner-style and dumb decisions will make him an instant whipping boy
-Vandenburg could in theory still 'Magner' it
-Oliver could suddenly reveal himself to actually be Jordie McKenzie
-Watts only needs one bad game for everybody to get on his back again
-1 injury to Gawn results in Spencer, the only player I've ever seen drop the ball during a run up, becoming our main ruck
-Dom Barry could make a comeback....?

And lets not forget Dave Misson is still at the club, meaning half our team will suffer indefinite return date injuries and thus spuds will forever get games at MFC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back