Oldest person ever traded?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Mitchell was 35 when he was traded to West Coast.

He'd have to be up there?
Would have to be close. Even crazier, West Coast also brought in Petrie that same year who is only 3 days younger.

Mick Martin was a fair age when he went to Carlton.
34 I believe, same as Hodge to Brisbane. Mitchell at West Coast has him by a year.

Would have to be close. Even crazier, West Coast also brought in Petrie that same year who is only 3 days younger.

With Mitchell and Petrie view was to get them into jobs at the club after they retired so one more year playing was probably part of that.

Mitchell left after a year to go back to Hawthorn due to family issues
Petrie is still employed by the Eagles in a development role I think

Jack Mahony.

Traded from North to Gold Coast this year …

Todd goldstein

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alright, I've done some maths on this. Below represents the players from 1897 to now (VFL/AFL) that have changed clubs:

At 40 years old, Syd Barker moving back to North is the oldest every player to move clubs - but this wasn't a trade, as Barker came out of retirement. Regardless, the trade period didn't begin until 1987.

So looking towards players that changed clubs post 1987, James McDonald comes in at the oldest at 36. However this also was not a trade; McDonald came out of retirement to play for the Giants. Doug Hawkins went to Fitzroy in '95 at the age of 35, but his contract wasn't renewed and this wasn't a trade either.

This leaves Sam Mitchell, Drew Petrie and Mick Martyn (as many speculated above), but also Stefan Martin - all who turned 35 years old at their new clubs to be the oldest players traded in VFL/AFL history.

Last edited:
Alright, I've done some maths on this. Below represents the players from 1897 to now (VFL/AFL) that have changed clubs:

At 40 years old, Syd Barker moving back to North is the oldest every player to move clubs - but this wasn't a trade, as Barker came out of retirement. Regardless, the trade period didn't begin until 1987.

So looking towards players that changed clubs post 1987, James McDonald comes in at the oldest at 36. However this also was not a trade; McDonald came out of retirement to play for the Giants. Doug Hawkins went to Fitzroy in '95 at the age of 35, but his contract wasn't renewed and this wasn't a trade either.

This leaves Sam Mitchell, Drew Petrie and Mick Martyn (as many speculated above), but also Stefan Martin - all who turned 35 years old at their new clubs to be the oldest players traded in VFL/AFL history.

Wayne Carey was like 31 or 32 when your Kangaroos traded him to the crows?

Saying that, Syd Barker is a North melbourne legend.

With Mitchell and Petrie view was to get them into jobs at the club after they retired so one more year playing was probably part of that.

Mitchell left after a year to go back to Hawthorn due to family issues
Petrie is still employed by the Eagles in a development role I think
Petrie's in player welfare. Appears to be the replacement for Ian Miller.

Wayne Carey was like 31 or 32 when your Kangaroos traded him to the crows?

Saying that, Syd Barker is a North melbourne legend.
Also Essendon premiership captain.

Correction on this - Petrie wasn't traded, he was picked up in the rookie draft by West Cost.

Sam Mitchell, Martin (Mick), and Marin (Stefan) were all 35 at their new clubs after being traded.

Mick Martyn was never traded to Carlton.

He was picked up in the 2002 AFL draft.
Oh wow, I was certain North traded him but you're right - he was delisted and picked up.

That leaves Sam Mitchell and Stefan Martin both at 35 Mitchell was born in October and Martin in November, so Mitchell is technically the correct answer here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back