Oldest verified person to have attended an AFL/SANFL/VFL game

Remove this Banner Ad

megadeth86

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
We will probably just have to trust each other's honesty here, but here goes...

My late grandfather H.A.A. (born 17 March 1906) attended the WAFL match with me between Perth and East Fremantle on Saturday, 8th August 1998 aged 92 years, 4 months.

He attended the first Fremantle Dockers practice game versus Essendon at East Fremantle Oval in February 1995 aged 88 years, 11 months (and stood up on the scoreboard wing for the whole game).

I saw Jack Sheedy (born 28 September 1926) at an East Fremantle game in July 2019, so that would be 92 years, 10 months. Apparently, he is still going strong.

Can anyone match these?

Adelaide Crows coach Brenton Sanderson picks up fan Dorothy Harris, 100, on way to Geelong match | The Advertiser (adelaidenow.com.au)
1626071644240.png

How old is that South Melbourne/Sydney bloke that sits in the front behind the goals in all of the Swans games. Remembered reading he was at the 1933 Grand Final.
Is he still alive, still goes to games?

Kenny Williams?

He's still kicking.

Dorothy's still around too by the looks. 107 at last mention in the media but now living closer to family in Tumby Bay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jordan Lewis' son was 3 or 4 days old when he went to the 2015 Grand Final.

That's not what I'm after.

Let's use the 1900 VFL GF as an example.

Would there have been someone in attendance born in, say, 1810?

I knew an elderly Hobart supporter named Lloyd Griggs who passed away around 6-7 years ago at age 99 who, as a youngster attended the first ever TFL match at North Hobart Oval in 1921 and was at Hobart's final ever TSL match at the TCA Ground in 2013.
He also told me that he'd been to a number of matches in Melbourne over the years including the one where Bluey Truscott made a special guest appearance on leave from the RAAF to captain Melbourne against Richmond at Punt Road in 1942, he said both clubs were sharing the ground tbat year as the MCG was comandeered by the military.
Said Jack Dyer, Skinny Titus and Bernie Waldron (who later played for Hobart in the late 40s and early 50s) were playing for the Tigers and Fred Fanning, Norm Smith etc were playing for Melbourne. Reckoned it was a great match to be a part of, Richmond won pretty èasily, he said.
A very spritely old gentleman who only looked in his mid-70s and not close to 100. Still drove everywhere too.

Love this. The person who's the oldest should get themselves in the Guinness world records.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back