Oppo Camp Oliver Henry (Traded to Geelong 2022)

Aug 27, 2017
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Collingwood
A tad rude of me not to thank the Pies for the 2022 premiership.

While I am here, I might as well thank you in advance for the 2023 flag as well. Cheers lads.
Stop trying to re-write history. You should be thanking the Swans for their stage-fright on GF Day. We on the other hand, scared the crap out of you in our H&A and QF matches.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
If nothing else, at least Ollie's trade has alerted everybody (even Jake Niall...the first Melbourne journo to even question Geelong's advantage)
Cats 10 goals up even before landing Henry, Dees rely on ‘the replacements’

My favourite bits from Niall were these:

"When the AFL changed the rules to allow salary-cap dumps this year, they cannot have envisaged that an expansion team would be the party giving up the high draft pick and the player (and Bowes was promising in his first few years) to the premiers. The AFL hierarchy was – and should be – embarrassed that the system worked in favour of the top team."

and then:

"Once the Cats had Bowes and pick seven in the bag, they were playing with house money and could spin the roulette wheel on getting Henry and Tanner Bruhn cheaply. Bruhn was grabbed first, at the relatively cheap price of pick 18.
Henry, too, was a bargain recruit. Had he been in this year’s draft, he would have been picked in the first round, having booted 21 goals from 15 outings in his second season. Geelong have given up a raft of later picks (which became pick 25) and Stephens, not in their best 23.
The Cats couldn’t lose in the Henry dealings. If the trade couldn’t be done, they would have lost only an opportunity.

All the risks were carried by Collingwood and Henry; they either landed him, or walked away.

Henry had been one of the players they’d effectively given up when the Cats were forced to trade first-rounders for Jeremy Cameron (Bruhn having been taken by the Giants). What this trade period demonstrated is that Geelong, in effect, are operating a recruiting zone that stretches from Corio through to the western district – they have 17 locals on their 2023 list.

I hate to be the one to say I tried to warn everyone but I did...The Cats and the Falcons and their other feeders have been into this scheme for a while. 2022 is the watershed...Is the AFL going to allow one club to have a zone above all others?

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
If nothing else, at least Ollie's trade has alerted everybody (even Jake Niall...the first Melbourne journo to even question Geelong's advantage)
Cats 10 goals up even before landing Henry, Dees rely on ‘the replacements’

My favourite bits from Niall were these:

"When the AFL changed the rules to allow salary-cap dumps this year, they cannot have envisaged that an expansion team would be the party giving up the high draft pick and the player (and Bowes was promising in his first few years) to the premiers. The AFL hierarchy was – and should be – embarrassed that the system worked in favour of the top team."

and then:

"Once the Cats had Bowes and pick seven in the bag, they were playing with house money and could spin the roulette wheel on getting Henry and Tanner Bruhn cheaply. Bruhn was grabbed first, at the relatively cheap price of pick 18.
Henry, too, was a bargain recruit. Had he been in this year’s draft, he would have been picked in the first round, having booted 21 goals from 15 outings in his second season. Geelong have given up a raft of later picks (which became pick 25) and Stephens, not in their best 23.
The Cats couldn’t lose in the Henry dealings. If the trade couldn’t be done, they would have lost only an opportunity.

All the risks were carried by Collingwood and Henry; they either landed him, or walked away.

Henry had been one of the players they’d effectively given up when the Cats were forced to trade first-rounders for Jeremy Cameron (Bruhn having been taken by the Giants). What this trade period demonstrated is that Geelong, in effect, are operating a recruiting zone that stretches from Corio through to the western district – they have 17 locals on their 2023 list.

I hate to be the one to say I tried to warn everyone but I did...The Cats and the Falcons and their other feeders have been into this scheme for a while. 2022 is the watershed...Is the AFL going to allow one club to have a zone above all others?
For every player Geelong get from their zone, every other club should have the choice to pick a player from their zone, if geelong pick 2 players in one draft from their zone then we get 2 from ours, we'll take Oakleigh thanks

Aug 27, 2017
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Collingwood
Your lot gave us the test we needed in the finals, and had us battle ready for the GF. Then you bruised the Swans during the Prelim. We are grateful for your efforts.

And now you have the good conscience to give us Ollie for some loose change. We do not forget such acts of kindness.

You should know that I even made the observation on GF day to some nearby Swans supporters that I would have enjoyed the contest more if the Pies were playing. They didn't appreciate my logic, but I was sincere in my comments that the Pies were a worthy adversary.
See ya, arrogant knob. Enjoy your ban

Oct 14, 2015
Free State NSW
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well since the Berlin wall was built (yes built) Geelong have won 5 flags to Collingwoods 2.

I'm not into ancient history, but apparently dental hygiene was quite poor back then.....makes sense.

I like the allusion

East Germans suckling on the teat of the state

Geelong being subsidised for decades by other taxpayers propping-up it’s auto industry

Berlin vibrant city of culture and partygoers

Geelong… oh f*ck it, the comparison falls apart

Well since the Berlin wall was built (yes built) Geelong have won 5 flags to Collingwoods 2.

I'm not into ancient history, but apparently dental hygiene was quite poor back then.....makes sense.

1961 is an arbitrary pick for a year but cute work.

You must be very encouraged by Geelong's recent success. Just a few more flags to win and Geelong will be rightfully considered a top-tier AFL team.

Such a feel-good story when a backwater town can have something to be proud of.

I quite like Maynard. He's a bit of a Billy Duckworth. Not much talent but gives his all. You realise, though, he'd be in the Geelong reserves?

"Not much talent but gives his all. "

A bit like your posting.

Oct 14, 2015
Free State NSW
AFL Club
Collingwood
I quite like Maynard. He's a bit of a Billy Duckworth. Not much talent but gives his all. You realise, though, he'd be in the Geelong reserves?

Maynard is more like Gary Ablett Senior

1 moment going about their game, next minute they are standing over a still body

Gooddroprob

Debutant
Sep 15, 2010
Coburg
AFL Club
Geelong
I wonder if these cats fans have ever actually been to Geelong... Ice capital of Victoria where brain cells are a scarce commodity.
One day the AFL will grow a pair and investigate why Geelong players are allowed to be paid in farm land and cattle and the kingdom will crumble. While they're at it, they might uncover what Mark Thompson, Steven Dank and the Weapon were up to before moving on to Essendon. It will be glorious.
Those ice addicts and other dodgy characters aren't typically from Geelong. They're from trendy, gentrified, inner-Melbourne suburbs like Collingwood. Can't afford to live there anymore.

Basil brush

Senior List
Nov 29, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Would you rather 1959 and the Cuban revolution as that equates perfectly.
Considering the audience in here I went with the more well known reference.

It's cute when Pies fans try to convince thselves they are still relevant in the trophy stakes.

Backwater town? Probably. But I'll take it.

The streets filled with supporters in the city centre after we won the flag. If Collingwood won a flag it would be overrun with hipsters looking for a plant based soy frappe.

Collingwood FC is dead in it's heartland.
Does anyone actually read your crap on the cat board, or do you have to come over here?

You give me a headache either way.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Would you rather 1959 and the Cuban revolution as that equates perfectly.
Considering the audience in here I went with the more well known reference.

It's cute when Pies fans try to convince thselves they are still relevant in the trophy stakes.

Backwater town? Probably. But I'll take it.

The streets filled with supporters in the city centre after we won the flag. If Collingwood won a flag it would be overrun with hipsters looking for a plant based soy frappe.

Collingwood FC is dead in it's heartland.
* you're a cringeworthy campaigner aren't you?

LuckyLee

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

Maynard would be in the Geelong reserves?

I think you’ve got him mixed up with Ollie Henry.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back