Oppo Camp Oliver Henry (Traded to Geelong 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Let’s not lose our s**t, the kids doing well, the big tick he gets from me is he wants the ******* ball, that’s his main strength ATM, hopefully poise and composure follows.

He's got the dark hair and the smile (like he know's he got so many more gears than he's shown us so far) but apart from that he's no Johnny Greening!

Have watched Ollie (and Jack) growing up and athletically they are both gifted (though not as far as the Curnow boys). Ollie in particular can really run (and jump). Footy wise he has smarts but its not fluid and innate like Greening was. He sort've tries things and sees whether they work or not...JG just knew what to do right from the time he started.

I know its not a serious claim (that Ollie is similar to JG) but they're pretty different players in reality.

JG was the best I've ever seen and you knew it pretty much as soon as you saw him play.
Total agreement on JG Rob without being almost killed and having his career stolen from he he would have been an all time great - perhaps THE all time great.

Athleticism check
Skill check
Speed check
Leap check
Kick check
Mark check
Knowledge check
Instinctual check

Every elite trait there is he had and at an acute level.

An absolute tragedy to the game - not only for us but the game as well.

His ilk will not pass this way again.

Has had a fantastic two weeks and looks a player. As has been mentioned is was his forward craft and patterns that were most impressive. This week he was exciting.

Still John Greening exciting is a different level altogether. He was the complete package. Even James Hird comparison is way over the top.

That doesn’t matter as he looks good. Doesn’t need over expectation.

Has had a fantastic two weeks and looks a player. As has been mentioned is was his forward craft and patterns that were most impressive. This week he was exciting.

Still John Greening exciting is a different level altogether. He was the complete package. Even James Hird comparison is way over the top.

Agreed no one measures up to JG - as an aside JG retired with at least 5 years left in his career and just starting to hit his peak in '76 . . . Daicos burst on the scene in '78 the thought of those two together is simply breath taking.

Back to Ollie though - given a normal run with fitness he looks special in his own way..

Total agreement on JG Rob without being almost killed and having his career stolen from he he would have been an all time great - perhaps THE all time great.

Athleticism check
Skill check (ELITE)
Speed check (elite)
Leap check (elite)
Kick check (both sides)
Mark check (elite)
Knowledge check
Instinctual check

Every elite trait there is he had and at an acute level.

An absolute tragedy to the game - not only for us but the game as well.

His ilk will not pass this way again.
[/QUOTE

You forgot a couple of checks:
Leadership check (he would have been the skipper after Tuddenham)
Courage check (in copious amounts)
Fairness/sportsmanship check (he had moments before shaken J O'D's hand before the game and wished him the best...should never have turned his back on the mongrel)

Absolutely Rob my bad - as for O'dea - true a low act but I would place primary blame on the creep who coached him - he had an unsavory reputation in his other occupation that fit right in with the dog act done on JG.

I think an early Hird is a decent comparison in terms of type. But expecting that level is ridiculous. Hird made tacklers disappear with a regularity I've only seen bettered by Pendles. And you can see how Pendles does it, but Hirds moves were so subtle that even in slow mo you couldn't work out what made the tackler miss him.

He looks like WHE before defenders figured him out, interested to see how he goes when defenders man him up more aggressively but he’s looking allot more classier then I originally thought.

I think an early Hird is a decent comparison in terms of type. But expecting that level is ridiculous. Hird made tacklers disappear with a regularity I've only seen bettered by Pendles. And you can see how Pendles does it, but Hirds moves were so subtle that even in slow mo you couldn't work out what made the tackler miss him.

Only in his 1st Season so we don't know how good he will be in his Prime

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed no one measures up to JG - as an aside JG retired with at least 5 years left in his career and just starting to hit his peak in '76 . . . Daicos burst on the scene in '78 the thought of those two together is simply breath taking.

Back to Ollie though - given a normal run with fitness he looks special in his own way..

I disagree here jon. JG didn't have 5 years left in his career....his career ended with J. O'D and Alan Jean's bastardry.
JG retired whilst playing seconds.....seconds.

We all saw him come back. That game against the Tigers on the MCG when he "came back" he tried so hard to give us all what we wanted...to see our young star back to his best. But he wasn't.
He was a 10th of a second slower, he was slightly hesitant where he had never been so, he took a couple of spectacular marks but landed heavily instead of catlike on his feet like he always had done. He was in the best players on the ground that day....but he wasn't the same player as he had been. My theory has always been that he knew then that he'd only just be an average to good player from then on and he couldn't accept that. The club tried to keep him motivated and included but he gradually slipped away. Those of us that loved him could see it...in his eyes, that he'd lost the belief, lost the desire and the love of the game and of being the best.

I found it hard to explain it to people for many years that thought (and believed the public statements and the media that said JG was fully recovered) until many years later when Jason McCartney made his emotional comeback after suffering horrific burns in the Bali bombings. McCartney came back for one game and was instrumental in an amazing win for his club only to announce his retirement out on the ground after the game. He too knew the cost of his injuries and the climb back up the mountain that he had had to endure. In Greening's case, he had had to have been taught how to walk again after being in a prolonged coma...he had had 18 months to consider the suffering and the affects on his family, he had been assaulted and disabled in a public place and no-one could ever change that.

I would have loved to have seen Johnny Greening play another 10 games in 1972....I would have loved to have seen him win a Brownlow and captain his footy club, given a "normal" career. Seeing him play with a young tyro named Daicos would have been unbelievable.

I remember vividly my grandfather describing how "Bluey" Adams had run through Des Healey and ended his career. I was only a little tacker but I'd seen Healey play and knew he was a champion of our club and I was devastated that a champion could be hurt like that by someone "not going for the ball".

Being at Moorabbin that day I felt fortunate when Greening lined up on the flank in front of us and I saw him go over to J.O'D and shake hands. I was looking forward to some memorable Greening moments that day. What transpired was a gutless dog act, a king-hit behind play done whilst Johnny wasn't even facing him. O'Dea just walked up behind him and hit him with a huge roundhouse right to the side of John's head. The day was over then for us....but JG's career was over then as well. People in the crowd were stunned. Even the St Kilda members behind us in the stands were stunned by the pre-meditated violence of J.O'D's attack. People were crying, kids were asking "was Johnny OK?" and we saw Peter McKenna and Wayne Richardson (both usually mild mannered players) both remonstrating with O'D and screaming at him in blind rage. I firmly believe that if Police hadn't calmed the crowd and entered the ground, that there would have been a field invasion and JOD would have been threatened.

Other "incidents" across my experience (Lethal's hit on Neville Bruns, Daniher's hit on Gavin Brown in the 1990GF) have sickened me also but anyone who witnessed the attack on Johnny Greening at Moorabbin would realise this was on another level altogether. It ruined a man's career and his life at the time and it was never prosecuted, there has never been closure.

I'm old school, I know footy back then was physical and aggressive but this was not footy. This was a HIT.

Sorry once again for the diatribe, obviously for youngsters here Johnny Greening is a historical figure. But for me and for the other people who knew he was "the best" his demise from doing what he loved and the way it was orchestrated and occurred...it was nothing short of a tragedy and one that has never been accounted for.

My power rankings pre draft:
1. Reef
2. Henry
3. Macrae
4. Poulter
I was stoked Henry slipped to CFC, easy the best contested mark in the draft and has the class by foot to match....Is going to be a ripper!

Having seen enough of these boys at VFL and AFL level, I'm extremely confident we have nailed this draft.

That game against Port he showcased a bit of everything. We should be excited.

I am very excited about Henry but still in the Infancy of his Career

Having seen enough of these boys at VFL and AFL level, I'm extremely confident we have nailed this draft.

Sure does looks Very Promising in there Debut/Rookie Years

Hmmm we are all going early including me, first 3 odd games in he looked all at sea, next 2 he gets at the end of a few, let’s be more balanced

A star? A long way from it!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nah. Not much else at the club to get excited about. Who cares if we're wrong.

He looks like WHE before defenders figured him out, interested to see how he goes when defenders man him up more aggressively but he’s looking allot more classier then I originally thought.
It's a comparison I've also considered. Henry looks like he will develop a bigger body than Hoskin-Elliott, which should put him in a better position to combat defenders.

I disagree here jon. JG didn't have 5 years left in his career....his career ended with J. O'D and Alan Jean's bastardry.

We all saw him come back. That game against the Tigers on the MCG when he "came back" he tried so hard to give us all what we wanted...to see our young star back to his best. But he wasn't.
He was a 10th of a second slower, he was slightly hesitant where he had never been so, he took a couple of spectacular marks but landed heavily instead of catlike on his feet like he always had done. He was in the best players on the ground that day....but he wasn't the same player as he had been. My theory has always been that he knew then that he'd only just be an average to good player from then on and he couldn't accept that. The club tried to keep him motivated and included but he gradually slipped away. Those of us that loved him could see it...in his eyes, that he'd lost the belief, lost the desire and the love of the game and of being the best.

I found it hard to explain it to people for many years that thought (and believed the public statements and the media that said JG was fully recovered) until many years later when Jason McCartney made his emotional comeback after suffering horrific burns in the Bali bombings. McCartney came back for one game and was instrumental in an amazing win for his club only to announce his retirement out on the ground after the game. He too knew the cost of his injuries and the climb back up the mountain that he had had to endure. In Greening's case, he had had to have been taught how to walk again after being in a prolonged coma...he had had 18 months to consider the suffering and the affects on his family, he had been assaulted and disabled in a public place and no-one could ever change that.

I would have loved to have seen Johnny Greening play another 10 games in 1972....I would have loved to have seen him win a Brownlow and captain his footy club, given a "normal" career. Seeing him play with a young tyro named Daicos would have been unbelievable.

I remember vividly my grandfather describing how "Bluey" Adams had run through Des Healey and ended his career. I was only a little tacker but I'd seen Healey play and knew he was a champion of our club and I was devastated that a champion could be hurt like that by someone "not going for the ball".

Being at Moorabbin that day I felt fortunate when Greening lined up on the flank in front of us and I saw him go over to J.O'D and shake hands. I was looking forward to some memorable Greening moments that day. What transpired was a gutless dog act, a king-hit behind play done whilst Johnny wasn't even facing him. O'Dea just walked up behind him and hit him with a huge roundhouse right to the side of John's head. The day was over then for us....but JG's career was over then as well. People in the crowd were stunned. Even the St Kilda members behind us in the stands were stunned by the pre-meditated violence of J.O'D's attack. People were crying, kids were asking "was Johnny OK?" and we saw Peter McKenna and Wayne Richardson (both usually mild mannered players) both remonstrating with O'D and screaming at him in blind rage. I firmly believe that if Police hadn't calmed the crowd and entered the ground, that there would have been a field invasion and JOD would have been threatened.

Other "incidents" across my experience (Lethal's hit on Neville Bruns, Daniher's hit on Gavin Brown in the 1990GF) have sickened me also but anyone who witnessed the attack on Johnny Greening at Moorabbin would realise this was on another level altogether. It ruined a man's career and his life at the time and it was never prosecuted, there has never been closure.

I'm old school, I know footy back then was physical and aggressive but this was not footy. This was a HIT.

Sorry once again for the diatribe, obviously for youngsters here Johnny Greening is a historical figure. But for me and for the other people who knew he was "the best" his demise from doing what he loved and the way it was orchestrated and occurred...it was nothing short of a tragedy and one that has never been accounted for.
Not sure whether a like is appropriate for a post as tragic as this, but I always appreciate the insights into our history that posters older than me can provide.

I understand your point Rob but I was positing a continuance of his career without that incident taking place.

As to the incident, knowing the reputation of his coach in non football circles I was not surprised in retrospect.
There is of course no proof but I remain convinced that assault was indeed orchestrated as was the assault on Gavin by coaches who had no conscience if it meant winning.

The aftermath to me is the most damning testimony to a club that has always been the dregs in behavior - O'Dea was elevated to their honour board at the club and to my knowledge remains there.

No truer gauge of that cesspit's morality is necessary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back