Oppo Camp Oliver Henry (Traded to Geelong 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

I missed the Dogs and Tigers games so I don’t have a great perspective on all things Henry. Was his marking “on” in those two matches? Goal kicking comes and goes with the ebb and flow of footy unless you’re Plugger or Walker. Some weeks you get a bunch of opportunities dead in front and burn them only to then convert the 50/50 ones the week after. In Henry’s case I haven’t looked at his goal kicking as fundamentally flawed like say Cloke or M King.

The barometer for Henry’s game though is his marking which had all but deserted him when he was dropped following the WC game and a couple of times v Fremantle they just stuck. That to me is a better sign of his development especially as the grounds are now softer and heavier.
In the Dogs game. He got on the end of a it a heap in the first half - marking cleanly - uncontested - his last mark was really shaky and juggled despite being clear. It wasn't just that he missed goals - his kicking really went to water, where you wouldn't have been surprised if he missed the ball all together. Then didn't go near it in the second half.

I think he's a really good kick and a really good mark. It's looked like nerves, as he dropped marks and fumbled early in the year when he had space and time to think about stuffing it up - whenever he had no time he executed well.

He was quieter against the Tiges, but clean in the air.

In the Dogs game. He got on the end of a it a heap in the first half - marking cleanly - uncontested - his last mark was really shaky and juggled despite being clear. It wasn't just that he missed goals - his kicking really went to water, where you wouldn't have been surprised if he missed the ball all together. Then didn't go near it in the second half.

I think he's a really good kick and a really good mark. It's looked like nerves, as he dropped marks and fumbled early in the year when he had space and time to think about stuffing it up - whenever he had no time he executed well.

He was quieter against the Tiges, but clean in the air.

The fact he went nowhere near it in the second half vs. WBD was as telling as anything. I wouldn't be surprised if he avoided going 100% at a mark or two knowing he wasn't comfortable with any set shot which would've come with it.

I missed the Dogs and Tigers games so I don’t have a great perspective on all things Henry. Was his marking “on” in those two matches? Goal kicking comes and goes with the ebb and flow of footy unless you’re Plugger or Walker. Some weeks you get a bunch of opportunities dead in front and burn them only to then convert the 50/50 ones the week after. In Henry’s case I haven’t looked at his goal kicking as fundamentally flawed like say Cloke or M King.

The barometer for Henry’s game though is his marking which had all but deserted him when he was dropped following the WC game and a couple of times v Fremantle they just stuck. That to me is a better sign of his development especially as the grounds are now softer and heavier.
Marking was great against WB - sticky hands were back.
The shots on goal no harder than FREO.
He could have had 3 in the 1st QTR v WB.

Not sure if anyone remembers but during one of his marking contests in the first half during the dogs game he actually injured himself. Hurt his quad. Wonder if that had an effect on his kicking.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
That was his last mark. And it was a nervous juggle that had him stretching. Rot had set in by then.

Wasn’t just his goal kicking but overall decision making was off against the dogs.

I might be missing something but weren't all the goals he kicked against Freo routine? Keen to see him start nailing them in the same positions he was missing them against the Dogs.

His 3rd was from a Simmlar Postion

Ollie wants to stay at the club, this coming from a good source. No matter the rumours.

Great to hear Jen!

YOUNG PIE KEEN TO STAY

COLLINGWOOD young gun Ollie Henry wants to remain at the Magpies but isn't in a rush to put pen to paper on a contract extension.

The 19-year-old produced a match-winning performance against Fremantle at Optus Stadium, kicking four goals in 76 minutes game time after being activated as the medi-sub when Mason Cox dislocated his finger on Sunday night.

Henry has played 17 games since the Magpies used pick No.17 in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft on the talented forward from the Geelong Falcons.

"I'm loving my time at Collingwood. I've got so many great friends here at the club," Henry told AFL.com.au on Wednesday.

"I'm pretty much just looking to stick the year out, play the best footy I can, and we will go from there.

"Right now, I'm loving where I'm at. Hopefully we get something done."

Henry is one of eight players who were taken in the first round two years ago who are yet to sign deals beyond this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

YOUNG PIE KEEN TO STAY

COLLINGWOOD young gun Ollie Henry wants to remain at the Magpies but isn't in a rush to put pen to paper on a contract extension.

The 19-year-old produced a match-winning performance against Fremantle at Optus Stadium, kicking four goals in 76 minutes game time after being activated as the medi-sub when Mason Cox dislocated his finger on Sunday night.

Henry has played 17 games since the Magpies used pick No.17 in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft on the talented forward from the Geelong Falcons.

"I'm loving my time at Collingwood. I've got so many great friends here at the club," Henry told AFL.com.au on Wednesday.

"I'm pretty much just looking to stick the year out, play the best footy I can, and we will go from there.

"Right now, I'm loving where I'm at. Hopefully we get something done."

Henry is one of eight players who were taken in the first round two years ago who are yet to sign deals beyond this season.

It's great that it will happen, then we just need to sign up Fin Macrae.

It's great that it will happen, then we just need to sign up Fin Macrae.

Henry is the one we need to lock away.

Macrae I’m less worried about. There’s unlikely to be many targeting him so if he’s happy he’ll stay. Given his personal circumstances I’d also not be shocked if he did want to go play with his brother so as long as we could facilitate a reasonable outcome I wouldn’t be against that either.

An example might be a pick from the dogs to get us back into the second round or could be used on a Connor Stone or a Sam Flanders.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Macrae I’m less worried about. There’s unlikely to be many targeting him so if he’s happy he’ll stay. Given his personal circumstances I’d also not be shocked if he did want to go play with his brother so as long as we could facilitate a reasonable outcome I wouldn’t be against that either.

An example might be a pick from the dogs to get us back into the second round or could be used on a Connor Stone or a Sam Flanders.

Okily Dokily

He plays a similar role to Gunston from the hawks, beautiful lead, reader of the play, hands, and neat kick. Rumors were that we were right into Gunston in the 2020 draft which would have costed us a lot more than the pick we nabbed Henry at. Stoked it went the way it did.

Macrae isn't going anywhere. If Lippa couldn't get a game in that midfield, Fin won't either. And given he plays similarly to his brother, thats worse. Yeah, no point in going there.

Macrae isn't going anywhere. If Lippa couldn't get a game in that midfield, Fin won't either. And given he plays similarly to his brother, thats worse. Yeah, no point in going there.

It’s why I said I’m less worried about Macrae than Henry. He’s had some issues which I believe has probably affected his form this year and I’m willing to renew him. I also don’t see other teams coming for him. The only move would be if he chose that he wanted to be at the same club as his brother and I’d facilitate that for him if that’s what he wanted.

Henry would be a greater concern as he’s shown his capable and I could see Geelong in particular coming for him.

It’s why I said I’m less worried about Macrae than Henry. He’s had some issues which I believe has probably affected his form this year and I’m willing to renew him. I also don’t see other teams coming for him. The only move would be if he chose that he wanted to be at the same club as his brother and I’d facilitate that for him if that’s what he wanted.

Henry would be a greater concern as he’s shown his capable and I could see Geelong in particular coming for him.

Yeah, Henry definitely the first priority. I'm not worried about Fin. He isn't going anywhere, but given what Ollie has shown so far. Definitely someone you want to sign on the dotted line.

He plays a similar role to Gunston from the hawks, beautiful lead, reader of the play, hands, and neat kick. Rumors were that we were right into Gunston in the 2020 draft which would have costed us a lot more than the pick we nabbed Henry at. Stoked it went the way it did.
Gunston-like, but a decade+ younger & with so much upside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back