Oppo Camp Oliver Henry (Traded to Geelong 2022)

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Second game according to some

You can pretend he didn't play a game vs Richmond seniors the 2 weeks before all you like, but the fact is he did.
Your argument that it doesn't count due to being a preason rehearsal for round 1 doesn't stack up, as it even more so should be a at a lower intensity for juniors to show there wares and gain some experience vs afl elites.

Both games add experience for him, simple fact is he is not ready.
That's fine he is young and has had a lack of footy over covid and plenty of time on his side.
Just because people think he would be best suited to some vfl developing time doesn't mean they are potting him or the draft selection of him or marking his cards permanently.

Why is it detrimental for him to go back to the vfl and find some form, gain some confidence and work on things he learned in both preseason vs Richmond and then the round 1 game vs dogs?

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
It’s all relative Kappa. I’m judging WHE more harshly because he should know better, do better, and he’s be paid a lot more than Henry. He knows how senior games play out, Henry doesn’t.

Like I said in my post last night, Henry has something to work with, which I don’t see in the likes of Ruscoe.

It probably was a mistake to play him. So why did we? Bucks knows the dangers of playing a kid who isn’t ready. He played Yagmoor in his first ever game as coach. What a disaster that was. He must have been more - desperate? - last night than we knew. Which in itself is scary.

Both should be dropped one doesn't exclude the other.

WHE
JT
Ruscoe
Henry

Bring in Rantall, Bianco, McCreery, Wilson or McMahon.

McCreery more AFL ready and has a good pressure game from what I have read.

Potentially McMahon as a 3rd tall playing Ruscoe's role. Gaining some experience as a lead up option across hff up to wing whilst miho and Cox get the number 1 and 2 defenders.

Rantall and Bianco need to start gaining experience.

Like to see Wilson bought into the back 6 with a long term view of releasing Moore forward in 2022.

WHE
JT
Ruscoe
Henry

Potentially McMahon as a 3rd tall playing Ruscoe's role. Gaining some experience as a lead up option across hff up to wing whilst miho and Cox get the number 1 and 2 defenders.

Like to see Wilson bought into the back 6 with a long term view of releasing Moore forward in 2022.

Bianco is injured
Wilson is a defender
McMahon is not ready, is skinny.
Rantall is an inside mid
McCreery only option from your choices.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bianco is injured
Wilson is a defender
Rantall is an inside mid

Thanks for bianco didn't know he was injured.

I'm aware Wilson is. Defender hence saying I want to see him come into the back 6 for experience and look to move Moore fwd in 2022.

Rantall is a mid but needs games, they can play him off the bench and shuffle the deck chairs. Is an elite runner could play High half forward role as an extra mid.

McMahon skinnyness is irrelevant if he leads, keeps on the move and doesn't get caught up in wrestles.
Plenty of skinny talls have been fine playing as a 3rd or 4th tall.
Look at Ben Reid in his debut year (his issue early was kicking yips not ability to get it or getting hurt) ditto many other skinny 1st year kpfs who get games for experience.
Much more athletic and taller target the rusco and Henry.
He's quick tall and has a good leap and reach, makes it hard for 190cm HBFrs to ignore him and peel off.

I'd like to see Maynard through the guts too, sideass back to wing meant to return this week.
A mix of future development and senior bodies.

FF. McReery Cox Degoey
CHF. McMahon Mihochek Elliott
C. Daicos Pendles Sidebum
HB. Wilson Moore Howe
FB. Crisp Roughead Quaynor

R. Grundy Adams Maynard

Int. Rantall Seir Noble Madgen
Sub. Thomas.

WHE
JT
Ruscoe
Henry

I’m not sure about making that much change, in dropping both WHE and Henry, and introducing all those debutants.

But I’ve been keen on McCreery since day one. I’d like to see him given a run in the seniors.

I’m concerned that neither Rantall, Wilson or Bianco have debuted as yet. It’s taking a while! Surely we could try at least one this week? Maybe Rantall.

McMahon looks even less ready to me than Henry. Plus he might be blown over by a good wind.

Beyond that I’d be concerned to have too many debutants - plus a retained Henry - in the side. Although the Dogs had a few new kids playing on Friday night, and it didn’t do them much harm (except maybe preventing them from winning by ten instead of three goals).

Saying all that, I’m notoriously bad at picking teams and weighing up the ins and outs. Clueless in fact.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m not sure about making that much change, in dropping both WHE and Henry, and introducing all those debutants.

But I’ve been keen on McCreery since day one. I’d like to see him given a run in the seniors.

I’m concerned that neither Rantall, Wilson or Bianco have debuted as yet. It’s taking a while! Surely we could try at least one this week? Maybe Rantall.

McMahon looks even less ready to me than Henry. Plus he might be blown over by a good wind.

Beyond that I’d be concerned to have too many debutants - plus a retained Henry - in the side. Although the Dogs had a few new kids playing on Friday night, and it didn’t do them much harm (except maybe preventing them from winning by ten instead of three goals).

Saying all that, I’m notoriously bad at picking teams and weighing up the ins and outs. Clueless in fact.

Henry and McMahon play very different games, Henry as a fwd is largely an opportunist.

McMahon from what I've read and seen works into space with leads and is also a genuine kpf height with pace and leap.
As long as he isn't the 1st or 2nd fwd I think he would be fine to get some experience out there. Plenty others over the years have been equally skinny and debuted, Henrys experience out there is not necessarily McMahons.

Moving Maynard into midfield will give us some fire, grunt and burst in there.

Wilson will have Moore Roughead Howe Crisp to guide him.

McCreery can't do any worse then WHE and has a more mature body and hunger for 2ns and 3rd efforts that both Henry and Ruscoe lack currently.

Rantall needs games.

I was also asking about the progress of Rantall and Bianco however no VFL last year (covid) put paid to them not getting that match time to progress I imagine.

LarryKinn

Team Captain
Nov 3, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Los Angeles Lakers LA Chargers
Henry and McMahon play very different games, Henry as a fwd is largely an opportunist.

McMahon from what I've read and seen works into space with leads and is also a genuine kpf height with pace and leap.
As long as he isn't the 1st or 2nd fwd I think he would be fine to get some experience out there. Plenty others over the years have been equally skinny and debuted, Henrys experience out there is not necessarily McMahons.

Moving Maynard into midfield will give us some fire, grunt and burst in there.

Wilson will have Moore Roughead Howe Crisp to guide him.

McCreery can't do any worse then WHE and has a more mature body and hunger for 2ns and 3rd efforts that both Henry and Ruscoe lack currently.

Rantall needs games.
don't reckon Wilson is ready yet, Keane is much more likely followed by Murphy in the pecking order, with Chugg the smokey.

Thanks for bianco didn't know he was injured.

I'm aware Wilson is. Defender hence saying I want to see him come into the back 6 for experience and look to move Moore fwd in 2022.

Rantall is a mid but needs games, they can play him off the bench and shuffle the deck chairs. Is an elite runner could play High half forward role as an extra mid.

McMahon skinnyness is irrelevant if he leads, keeps on the move and doesn't get caught up in wrestles.
Plenty of skinny talls have been fine playing as a 3rd or 4th tall.
Look at Ben Reid in his debut year (his issue early was kicking yips not ability to get it or getting hurt) ditto many other skinny 1st year kpfs who get games for experience.
Much more athletic and taller target the rusco and Henry.
He's quick tall and has a good leap and reach, makes it hard for 190cm HBFrs to ignore him and peel off.

I'd like to see Maynard through the guts too, sideass back to wing meant to return this week.
A mix of future development and senior bodies.

FF. McReery Cox Degoey
CHF. McMahon Mihochek Elliott
C. Daicos Pendles Sidebum
HB. Wilson Moore Howe
FB. Crisp Roughead Quaynor

R. Grundy Adams Maynard

Int. Rantall Seir Noble Madgen
Sub. Thomas.

I’m not sure what happened to bianco but had strapping on his knee
7826c176792723835dbf2d8b5931c7cc.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Barham to Kink

Debutant
Sep 23, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
There are times when you persist with young promising players who are not quite at the mark. Tyler Brown is an example. But Henry is not there yet. He has talent though and could be closer to the level pretty quick - by say Anzac Day.

WHE
JT
Ruscoe
Henry

That's way too many kids. It's not write off the season yet.

Thomas was alright. Just had an unlucky game. Could have easily had multiple goals.

Sidey for Sier. A couple of those kids for Henry and Ruscoe - not sure which ones, but I'd be cycling through two at most a week, until one of them shows he belongs. Mayne for WHE. That's what I'd do.

Henry and Ruscoe were the only two who just looked like they didn’t belong out there. Low intensity and no second efforts. Didak wasn't ready in year 1, most aren't, it's not a big deal.

Problem also we don't really have a Forward Line.

Guess we just play the Forwards that are not good enough at AFL Level and put the Kids in the VFL?

Bianco is injured
Wilson is a defender
Rantall is an inside mid

Wilson should be up Forward lot better Chance of getting a AFL Game

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
That's way too many kids. It's not write off the season yet.

Thomas was alright. Just had an unlucky game. Could have easily had multiple goals.

Sidey for Sier. A couple of those kids for Henry and Ruscoe - not sure which ones, but I'd be cycling through two at most a week, until one of them shows he belongs. Mayne for WHE. That's what I'd do.

You reckon this team has a flag in it in 2021?

If not why not rip off the band aid and get games into kids still plenty of experience out there through the core of the side.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
He is a first gamer FFS. Some of the commentary in this thread is disgusting.
I haven't read anything close to disgusting about Henry on this forum. I have read a range of opinions, many critical of his recent performances. He is an AFL footballer playing for one of the biggest clubs in the country. Grow up. No-one has written any nasty personal insults or abuse. Your idea of disgusting is certainly different to mine.
I think he will be fine in the long term and earning big bucks. Are we allowed to be critical then?

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Can't believe people are bagging him on his first game where he played forward and not even the great Tony Locket would kick goals in our side. If people want to see the end of players like WHE and Thomas, then that's why we recruited a forward, who actually has some good forward craft
Cox and Elliott did a great job with limited opportunities.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Our midfield has been very overated for years now.
I swear a suburban midfield could fluke two clean clearances in an afl game. Our elite unit can't manage one in 4 quarters. If we do go forward it's a scrubbed kick or wild handpass under pressure. The dogs walked out in space with great regularity.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Kid didn’t have much impact but happy to see him get a block of games. Very harsh to judge him off that game given our atrocious ball movement and inability to get our hands on the footy.

Kid didn’t have much impact but happy to see him get a block of games. Very harsh to judge him off that game given our atrocious ball movement and inability to get our hands on the footy.

Very Well Said jackcass

Back