Oppo Camp Oliver Henry (Traded to Geelong 2022)

You reckon this team has a flag in it in 2021?

If not why not rip off the band aid and get games into kids still plenty of experience out there through the core of the side.

No I don't think we will win the flag this year:

In Tony Shaw's last year, we just played the kids and got games into:

Nick Davis
Brad Fuller
Michael Gardiner
Luke Godden
Craig Jacotine
Ben Kinnear
Mal Michael
Brad Oborne
Mark Orchard
Frankie Raso
Andrew Schauble
Heath Scotland
Chris Tarrant
Brent Tuckey
James Wasley
Presti

It made us a terrible team. Davis, Michael, Scotland and Schauble ended up playing good footy elsewhere. Tarrant and Presti played good footy for us.
But do you think that year was the making of any of them or accelerated their progress. I think we just played a heap of guys who weren't ready and never became ready and thus madeus embarassingly bad and footy unenjoyable.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

Nick Davis
Brad Fuller
Michael Gardiner
Luke Godden
Craig Jacotine
Ben Kinnear
Mal Michael
Brad Oborne
Mark Orchard
Frankie Raso
Andrew Schauble
Heath Scotland
Chris Tarrant
Brent Tuckey
James Wasley
Presti

It made us a terrible team. Davis, Michael, Scotland and Schauble ended up playing good footy elsewhere. Tarrant and Presti played good footy for us.
But do you think that year was the making of any of them or accelerated their progress. I think we just played a heap of guys who weren't ready and never became ready and thus madeus embarassingly bad and footy unenjoyable.
There are some real duds in that list!

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood

Nick Davis
Brad Fuller
Michael Gardiner
Luke Godden
Craig Jacotine
Ben Kinnear
Mal Michael
Brad Oborne
Mark Orchard
Frankie Raso
Andrew Schauble
Heath Scotland
Chris Tarrant
Brent Tuckey
James Wasley
Presti

I named 4 to come in 2 of which would replace a 1st gamer and what 5th gamer.

You listed 16 far far different.

Many teams carry a few kids, and yes I do think players getting to 50 AFL games reasonably quickly (pending form blocks) helps to accelerate development and find their consistency at the level.
Elliott Dawes Cloke Brown Reid Thomas Pendles Sideass and Beams amoung others who eventually played in 2010 GF team.

Moore another. STEPHO another.

There are some real duds in that list!

A fair few hits though. if we can get and keep the equivalent of Davis, Michael, Scotland, Schauble, Tarrant and Presti out of our current dozen untried kids we will have done fantastically. It was a good batch of kids - but playing them all was ridiculous. And most significantly none of the ones who made it developed particularly quickly due to being thrown in early. In fact Michael, Scotland and Presti took years to come good. Davis despite a good career was disappointing - a freak talent who could have been anything - did this year help him - I doubt it.

Last edited:

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Cox had one of those nearly days he tends to have, that said thought he looks like he belongs now.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
14 possessions, 6 marks and 2 goals from limited opportunities is a good result from a 211cm footballer. He will kick a bag of 6 this season. Mark my words.🙂

I named 4 to come in 2 of which would replace a 1st gamer and what 5th gamer.

You listed 16 far far different.

Many teams carry a few kids, and yes I do think players getting to 50 AFL games reasonably quickly (pending form blocks) helps to accelerate development and find their consistency at the level.
Elliott Dawes Cloke Brown Reid Thomas Pendles Sideass and Beams among others who eventually played in 2010 GF team.

Moore another. STEPHO another.

Mate, if we've got guys as good as Sidey, Beams, Thomas, Elliott, Stepho and Cloke were in their first year - then absolutely play them every week. Pendles probably would have played a heap of seniors first year, except he had glandular in the preseason. Brown, Dawes and Reid played VFL - and needed to. I personally think that Brown shouldn't have played all year in Year 2 - he became a one trick defender who could only focus on his man - I think he arrived with the potential to be more than that.

I'd be happy for us to have a couple of spots in the 22 where we try out the untried - like we did against the dogs, but 4 is massive danger territory in terms of being uncompetitive.

piemad1

Team Captain
Oct 12, 2011
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks for bianco didn't know he was injured.

I'm aware Wilson is. Defender hence saying I want to see him come into the back 6 for experience and look to move Moore fwd in 2022.

Rantall is a mid but needs games, they can play him off the bench and shuffle the deck chairs. Is an elite runner could play High half forward role as an extra mid.

McMahon skinnyness is irrelevant if he leads, keeps on the move and doesn't get caught up in wrestles.
Plenty of skinny talls have been fine playing as a 3rd or 4th tall.
Look at Ben Reid in his debut year (his issue early was kicking yips not ability to get it or getting hurt) ditto many other skinny 1st year kpfs who get games for experience.
Much more athletic and taller target the rusco and Henry.
He's quick tall and has a good leap and reach, makes it hard for 190cm HBFrs to ignore him and peel off.

I'd like to see Maynard through the guts too, sideass back to wing meant to return this week.
A mix of future development and senior bodies.

FF. McReery Cox Degoey
CHF. McMahon Mihochek Elliott
C. Daicos Pendles Sidebum
HB. Wilson Moore Howe
FB. Crisp Roughead Quaynor

R. Grundy Adams Maynard

Int. Rantall Seir Noble Madgen
Sub. Thomas.
Spot on mate. Time to rotate some young blokes in good members through. Not 1 or 2. McMahon needs to come in. McRae chugg mcreery as well.

I would definitely send Ollie Henry back to the VFL. Not because he only got 4 possessions but because he didn't look like he thought he belonged. He didnt want to make position, he ran to the outside of contests when he could have got involved and on the few times he did get involved he struggled.

Classic of a kid that's not ready. Can't really comment on whether he showed anything as he was overawed.

No surprise. His last compeditive game was underaage at U18 level.

Why not let all the new kids get into the VFL season, build some confidence then get played when htey knock the door down for selection. We don't need them playing early in the season unless they tell us they are ready like Dale Thomas, Langdon or Stevo did

Henry will only benefit from a good few VFL games judging by what he put out on Friday. That is likely to be true for all our 2019/20 draftees. They have all missed footy. Ruscoe doesn't look ready either but a bit more so that Henry

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would definitely send Ollie Henry back to the VFL. Not because he only got 4 possessions but because he didn't look like he thought he belonged. He didnt want to make position, he ran to the outside of contests when he could have got involved and on the few times he did get involved he struggled.

Classic of a kid that's not ready. Can't really comment on whether he showed anything as he was overawed.

No surprise. His last compeditive game was underaage at U18 level.

Why not let all the new kids get into the VFL season, build some confidence then get played when htey knock the door down for selection. We don't need them playing early in the season unless they tell us they are ready like Dale Thomas, Langdon or Stevo did

Henry will only benefit from a good few VFL games judging by what he put out on Friday. That is likely to be true for all our 2019/20 draftees. They have all missed footy. Ruscoe doesn't look ready either but a bit more so that Henry

I felt that on the video where Bucks announced he was gonna debut, instead of getting excited he just had this deer in the headlights "oh s**t" look.

It was a bizarre debut - haven’t seen someone so out of their depth in a long, long time. And it’s not like he was taken in the 70’s/80’s range.

Well 1st Proper AFL Game for over a Year might have something to do with it

regpies

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd be happy for us to have a couple of spots in the 22 where we try out the untried - like we did against the dogs, but 4 is massive danger territory in terms of being uncompetitive.

We were uncompetitive last week, which wasn’t caused by the young guys.

We aren’t a top 4 team so the season is pointless to just keep playing guys like Thomas and Mayne. Better off playing kids to see who is good enough.

They prob removed him for his own good. You don't want to kill the kid of all confidence. Let him find some confidence in some VFL then bring him back when he is ready.

Being Dropped would not be the best Thing for Confidence either I would of Thought

His confidence looked shot the moment he dropped a dolly in the Richmond game. He's more likely to get it back in the 2s.

Well guess won't be back for awhile as I think only be 1 VFL Game in next 3 Weeks

Back