Player Watch Pick #49 (2020) - Ollie Lord

Remove this Banner Ad

Excited to see how Lord develops over a strong pre season and heading into next year. I didn’t follow any SANFL matches this year however he looks like he had some decent games and there is some potential there to work with.

Looking at his year in the SANFL, he didn’t have much other tall forward support around him but he still managed to get involved which is promising for a 19yr old key forward.

Games played: 14
Goals : 10
Best game: Rnd 10 against the Eagles with 2.2, 12 disposals and 3 contested marks.

Looks like a lively type for a young key forward with 6/14 games over 10 disposals and a number of games with multiple scoring shots.

Keen to see how he improves into next year as he’s a great size for a modern forward and just needs some extra muscle.

Any keen watchers able to give some details of how his year has been?

Excited to see how Lord develops over a strong pre season and heading into next year. I didn’t follow any SANFL matches this year however he looks like he had some decent games and there is some potential there to work with.

Looking at his year in the SANFL, he didn’t have much other tall forward support around him but he still managed to get involved which is promising for a 19yr old key forward.

Games played: 14
Goals : 10
Best game: Rnd 10 against the Eagles with 2.2, 12 disposals and 3 contested marks.

Looks like a lively type for a young key forward with 6/14 games over 10 disposals and a number of games with multiple scoring shots.

Keen to see how he improves into next year as he’s a great size for a modern forward and just needs some extra muscle.

Any keen watchers able to give some details of how his year has been?
Still very raw. Has the frame to grow into a big target down the line. Hopefully he'll be harder to handle for his direct oppo in the coming years. Might even be able to be a fwd/ruck as well.

My favourite moment was when he faked a handball to SPP, in turn selling candy to his opponent, and kicked the sealer against South. (at 6:47)

Get in the gym and bulk up Ollie. There is a position for you in the A grade's forwardline next year if you are a hard driven bastard. There are several flakey players you can replace.

Get in the gym and bulk up Ollie. There is a position for you in the A grade's forwardline next year if you are a hard driven bastard. There are several flakey players you can replace.
Only seen a couple of games with him, but doesn't seem like bulk is his issue - his size is ok for his age, and looks like he has a big frame.

I'd say he needs to do repeat sprint training to learn how to multiple lead, and do the hand eye coordination training Dixon did a few years back that elevated his contested marking game.

Late pick KPFs are almost always a bust, but I do see things I like in him.

Only seen a couple of games with him, but doesn't seem like bulk is his issue - his size is ok for his age, and looks like he has a big frame.

I'd say he needs to do repeat sprint training to learn how to multiple lead, and do the hand eye coordination training Dixon did a few years back that elevated his contested marking game.

Late pick KPFs are almost always a bust, but I do see things I like in him.
He needs to get stronger, tougher and faster to succeed as a KPF in the AFL.

It was a pretty reasonable season for Lord. Showed some glimmers here or there which showed that potentially that he is an AFL player of the future but was largely beat up by bigger, stronger and more wily veteran SANFL defenders. Impact on games was overall quite low.

I think for his development he needs to have some support next year, he can't be the main man at 19/20. Whether that is a seasoned AFL forward like Finlayson or a SANFL contracted player, he needs someone to take the heat so he can develop. The expectation is that there is a clear trend of improvement going to next year. Lots of work to do.

It was a pretty reasonable season for Lord. Showed some glimmers here or there which showed that potentially that he is an AFL player of the future but was largely beat up by bigger, stronger and more wily veteran SANFL defenders. Impact on games was overall quite low.

I think for his development he needs to have some support next year, he can't be the main man at 19/20. Whether that is a seasoned AFL forward like Finlayson or a SANFL contracted player, he needs someone to take the heat so he can develop. The expectation is that there is a clear trend of improvement going to next year. Lots of work to do.
Should he play as a defender this season to learn leading patterns, reading the play, how to out body forwards etc.
Then he go back to the front half.

Should he play as a defender this season to learn leading patterns, reading the play, how to out body forwards etc.
Then he go back to the front half.
I would rather train a key forward by playing him as a key forward.

Needs to really work on his fitness / running, and that might take a few preseasons and years on the list.

He hopefully should have at least 2 of finlayson, surman and Dante (as a forward / ruck) as support.

1 year extension to the end of 2023. Hopefully his body keeps growing, hits the scoreboard, rucks a little bit if needed and just overall gets more involved in the play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those highlights are exciting like Ross said needs to get involved more but tracking nicely.

I think Lord has what it takes, just needs a good coach.

Animated GIF

Nothing against the kid, but I don't think an AFL career is in his future. Always love to be proven wrong

As a young key forward who hasn't had the opportunity to play much footy the past few years, Lord shows glimpses of tantalising form that make you really hope he can put it all together for extended periods in games. He has genuine skills, some aggro, considerable athleticism and competes hard in whichever position he plays.

The club took a punt with a late pick and the contract extension shows they think he can continue to improve.

Interesting prospect is Lord, from the little I've seen from him live he seems to have nice hands, decent kick and a fair dose of mongrel. worth persisting with to give his body/tank time to develop.

Would be crazy to write him off already, certainly rather have him on the list than another generic flanker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back