Brownlow Ollie Wines 2021 Brownlow Medallist! - Yep Confirmed!

Remove this Banner Ad

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I doubt Wines will win.

Just out of interest, please note how often oppo players get votes in our wins compared to how many votes we get in our losses.
In fairness, we might see more of that this year because we arsed in so many close games where opposition players actually played equally as good, or even better than, our best did. While in all our losses we are hard-pressed finding a decent Port player that actually turned up to play!

But, that wont stop the melts here. After all, this is Bigfooty, where logic & common sense are often not all that 'common.'

In fairness, we might see more of that this year because we arsed in so many close games where opposition players actually played equally as good, or even better than, our best did. While in all our losses we are hard-pressed finding a decent Port player that actually turned up to play!

But, that wont stop the melts here. After all, this is Bigfooty, where logic & common sense are not all too 'common.'
Well none of us really know how well Bontempelli and Oliver played most of the season, I can't imagine many here have watched every Bulldogs and Melbourne game with the same scrutiny we watch our own.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
I don't know if there's stats available (maybe those coloured graphs that REH posts after most of our games) that back up a sense that I've had of Ollie's games this year, that his last quarters have seemed to be where he really piled on the numbers. It's only numbers, granted, but if true it would keep him in the umpire's minds when they do the votes if he had lots of big last quarters.

EDIT: if someone's already posted such evidence earlier in this thread, goodonya.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

But, that wont stop the melts here. After all, this is Bigfooty, where logic & common sense are often not all that 'common.'

The game against Geelong was relatively close, we were in front in the last quarter. Rozzee kicked 5. Wines had most possessions on ground and kicked a goal. Lets see what happens there.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There’s a few wins where the umps will give some votes to our oppo, but having a look it’s more likely to hurt boak / Amon / Houston / another one of our players more who will miss out on the 1 vote while Ollie will still get votes.

The combination of wines finding 30+ d but also having big 4th qtrs on the regular will mean he gets heaps of votes. I can’t imagine he misses top 3.

Footy Time

Senior List
Sep 1, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Worth noting that the umpires do check the stats after each game before they cast their votes. I believe this will help Ollie, given he lead our disposals in most of our wins. Having said that, Boak will might steal a few votes from Ollie as he'll stand out to the umps after his big year last year.

OnlyPowerForever

Cancelled
Mar 22, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
View attachment 1239791

“Round 23, Western Bulldogs versus Port Adelaide,

1 vote: J. Macrae, Western Bulldogs,
2 votes: T. Boak, Port Adelaide,
3 votes: O…

*excited murmuring*

…Spencer, The Help.

I declare the winner of the 2021 Brownlow Medal to be Clayton Oliver, of the Melbourne Football Club!”
"3 votes..... O....... My God, Clayton Oliver wins...."

dirty2

F*** the southern power
Nov 6, 2016
Bar Rossa
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal
Worth noting that the umpires do check the stats after each game before they cast their votes. I believe this will help Ollie, given he lead our disposals in most of our wins. Having said that, Boak will might steal a few votes from Ollie as he'll stand out to the umps after his big year last year.
I believe they should watch the game again then give votes (I believe I say this every year) or at least think it...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy Time

Senior List
Sep 1, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Apparently 12 Dogs players and only 6 Dees will be attending the Brownlow function tonight. Whether that's just an indication of more Dogs accepting invitations than Dees, or a greater spread of vote getters, who knows?
There was talk of a virus going through the Dees' camp a few days ago. Could have something to do with that.

Aug 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I like
Its a ******* umpire's award... I would prefer Ollie to win the coaches or players one since they actually know what is going on.
The thing is there are flaws with almost all of the awards given out...

Ask any of the players and they barely take the Players votes seriously... Apart from the stupid only 3 players can be nominated from a team rule they actually watch way less football than the average fan does.

Coaches' votes are probably a better indication but they are still slightly biased with some coaches being more likely to give votes to a wider range of players and some coaches are more likely to give opp players votes. Some coaches don't even give the votes and just let an assistant do it as well.

For all its flaws I do love the Brownlow for its history and also the fact that it can throw up some crazy results.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back