Brownlow Ollie Wines 2021 Brownlow Medallist! - Yep Confirmed!

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Brownlow Predictor has Ollie on 17 votes and doesn’t poll in the last 6 games.

******* wot?
It’s a weird Brownlow predictor, like our round 5 VS Carlton I can’t see who polled votes, wines Walsh, DBJ and Amon all nothing.

Lots of 10 coaches votes that had 2 votes in the predictor. Weird. Dixon 3 votes in round 11

Edit:round 5 they gave Robbie (3 goals and 18 disposals) 3 votes and MG 1 vote, can’t find the 2 votes player. Weird votes

Last edited:
Ollie clearly would make a good leader - I never disputed that. Jonas has done a great job as captain, led the club with distinction and apart from a period of a few weeks, has led the team extremely well on the field.

They were made co-captains for a reason, they're both extremely good leaders.

I just don't think winning the Brownlow automatically catapults Wines into the captaincy.

If there is a change in captaincy, it would be more down to Jonas coming to the end of his career rather than Wines winning the Brownlow. I don't believe the Brownlow has any relevance in captaincy discussions.
Of course it doesnt "automatically catapult Wines into the captaincy", but it is a huge addition to his CV, and it's naive to think that it would play zero part in influencing the thinking of the players & coaches when it comes to decision time.

That would IMO just be a part of the equation. Jonas is approaching the twilight of his career, While Wines is hitting peak. Also what happens this finals series will have a bearing. For example: If we bow out in two sets again, or even get to the granny & fail, that will be twice that Jonas has failed to lead us to a premiership after being in poll position! Wines becomes an automatic appointment IMO.

On the otherhand if we win the premiership in 2021, I reckon Jonas will step down with the "Premiership Captain" title on his CV, and Wines will lead the club into 2022.

Either way, I just dont see Jonas captaining us beyond this year. He has done a great job, but either way, its time for Ollie to step up.

Rory Laird will probably win. Hes about as good as Priddis.

Well he won the Mongrel which is arguably more prestigious than the Brownlow

PicsArt_08-24-09.20.34-759x484.jpg

In 2019, the career of Ollie Wines was at a crossroads.

After a season that saw Port Adelaide break with tradition to appoint co-captains, in short, Ollie let the team down. The player they hoped he would become was still at least 12 months away and with rumours of a possible departure from the Power circulating (and perpetuated by many), there were some that looked at the faith the club placed in their budding star as a mistake.

A lesser man would have walked away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a weird Brownlow predictor, like our round 5 VS Carlton I can’t see who polled votes, wines Walsh, DBJ and Amon all nothing.

Lots of 10 coaches votes that had 2 votes in the predictor. Weird. Dixon 3 votes in round 11

Edit:round 5 they gave Robbie (3 goals and 18 disposals) 3 votes and MG 1 vote, can’t find the 2 votes player. Weird votes
It seems to have given Boak a lot of votes. He ends up with 24.

AA got the 2 in round 5

Edit: My personal votes from that game were interesting in perhaps giving a guess as to the logic of the AFL brownlow selector?

Wines
Aliir
Todd
MG
Gray (wasn't in the top 5 over four quarters, but as usual I give votes to the players who won the game when it was there to be won)

Lachie Neale was so far and away better than anyone in the comp last year so his win was a no brainer

This years is so close, that you can guarantee no matter how well we all think Ollie will poll, a victorian will win.. so its either Bont or Oliver for mine. Petracca the dark horse.

Last edited:
Lachie Neale was so far and away better than anyone in the comp next year so his win was a no brainer

This years is so close, that you can guarantee no matter how well we all think Ollie will poll, a victorian will win.. so its either Bont or Oliver for mine. Petracca the dark horse.
You can foretell the future?

Would be great to finally have a Brownlow medallist (that actually won it with us) - but Bont has the profile and will poll a few ones and two's where there was no other standout. A bit of confirmation bias from the umpires.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back