Recommitted Ollie Wines [re-signed until 2026]

If Wines was from Melbourne, I'd understand, but it's not like he can pop back to Echuca on his day off- from any club/city. I don't think Wines has much of a connection with Melbourne, but like all of us, I could be wrong.
Why not?

Echuca's not the otherside of the world.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
That's not the same at all, Carlton were on the up then, West Coast were slipping. Made sense to him at the time. Then of course Carlton imploded and went for the great rebuild.

Carlton were garbage when he got there and only improved to a competitive level once he was playing for them.

I don't have a vested interest if Wines stays or goes or whatever but I do miss watching him from a couple of years ago. Big in the 2014 finals and the 2017 EF, and that was him age 20 and 23. A beast when he is up and going. 9 goals in 6 finals and he's not a guy who is normally a goal kicker.

It's not. Not sure why you're so invested in this... Wines is not leaving Port Adelaide this year.
Echuca isn't 9 hours further return from Adelaide compared to Melbourne?

Invested? I've literally made 2 (3 now) posts on the matter in the past 2 month's and the only interest I've taken is the claim that Echuca can't be a day trip from Melbourne. I couldn't care less about Wines. I've never thought he'd leave and even if he did he won't come to Essendon. He'd be mad to.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
It's not. Not sure why you're so invested in this... Wines is not leaving Port Adelaide this year.

If a club makes a fair deal for him (even if means probably paying overs), I can see Port trading him.

Never say never in this game

Echuca isn't 9 hours further return from Adelaide compared to Melbourne?

Invested? I've literally made 2 (3 now) posts on the matter in the past 2 month's and the only interest I've taken is the claim that Echuca can't be a day trip from Melbourne. I couldn't care less about Wines. I've never thought he'd leave and even if he did he won't come to Essendon. He'd be mad to.
It’s interesting, Echuca people would easily do a day trip to the big smoke to pick something up or attend the footy or whatever, but they’re also much more likely to be in that situation than the reverse.

I don’t think there are too many Melbourne people who would consider a day trip to Echuca a worthwhile thing to do, except under very rare circumstances like a wedding or major birthday party. Going to Echuca for footy or to pick something up seems less likely.

Of course it is actually possible to do it without sacrificing sleep, being about a 3 hour drive from Echuca to the MCG, so I guess that’s true enough. 9 hours driving each way in 24 hours would have to be desperate times.

And no one said you had to actually live near the MCG to play for a Victorian club. A couple of Essendon players currently live in Daylesford and commute to Tullamarine. That’s only 2 hours from Echuca, and there are other places that are similarly situated if it’s important to him.

Same thing could easily apply to other clubs on the northern side of the CBD, or even the centrally located ones. The distance only really rules out St Kilda, Hawthorn and Geelong, which are an extra half hour from Echuca, but again only if that’s the most important thing to him. Maybe he prefers suburbia and CBD nightclubs over Mum’s home cooking.

The article also says that there will continue to be talk until Wines comes out and says he wants to stay at Port. Wines did that literally last week.

"I don't think there's many guys in my situation who wouldn't get your name thrown up every now and then. But I've got two years on a deal at the moment and I'm so happy here. The list is so set, we're so excited with the people we've got signed on. I'm loving my time here," he said.

"I go through ups and downs like anyone. At times I'd love to be in Victoria, but at other times I know that the best chance I've got at having some success in my football career (is here). And if it's a little bit of short-term pain in terms of living away from my family and not seeing them as much as I'd like well I'm going to sacrifice that for success.

"A football career's life is so short and you see guys not have success or win Grand Finals throughout their careers and I don't want to be one of those. I want to chase success wherever that is and at the moment it's in Adelaide. We're so set and we've got this list together, so I think that's my best bet."

Just Barrett being a disgraceful muckraker of a 'journalist' as usual.

Apr 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Reckon this is a non-story. "A form of contact" could simply be Carlton contacting Wines' manager and asking the question. At the start of the season i would've said Wines is gone for sure but now i dont see it happening. He seems far more content, is way more assertive when asked what his future holds that he wants to remain at Port Adelaide (at the start of the year he was as non-committal as it comes), is playing very good footy and the big kicker is that he has 2 more seasons after this one left, so Port will want 2 first rounders, and history shows that 2 first rounders should only be reserved for the super elite.

I presume once this contract is up he hits some form of Free Agency, so next year with only one season left Port might look at offloading if Wines isnt committal, similar to what happened with Wingard. But would be fairly shocked if Wines leaves this summer.

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Of course we would ask the question, but it won't happen. Looks pretty awesome playing for Port right now. Seems like a happy club

Schnitzengruben

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Barrett is full of s**t. Just like when he broke the Beams to Collingwood story. He knows nothing.

Barrett is full of sh*t. Just like when he broke the Beams to Collingwood story. He knows nothing.

Like when he broke the Ollie Wines to Carlton story in 2014. Or when he broke the Ollie Wines to Carlton story in 2017. Or when he broke the Ollie Wines to Carlton story in 2019.

Adz2332

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Of course we would ask the question, but it won't happen. Looks pretty awesome playing for Port right now. Seems like a happy club

Wonder IF Wines asked to go what he would be worth trade wise? Hes playing some brilliant football after having a injury free run at it.
Would be at the top of his value right now

Jell

Team Captain
Nov 8, 2007
Bacchus Marsh
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints
Wonder IF Wines asked to go what he would be worth trade wise? Hes playing some brilliant football after having a injury free run at it.
Would be at the top of his value right now

Earlier in the season I'd say he was worth an early second round pick. Now I'd be happy to part with pick 7 with a bit of change coming back.

Back