Recommitted Ollie Wines [re-signed until 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearly stripped because he hasn't committed. He said:
"As it stands here, I'm 100 per cent committed, it's a positive day for the club going forward"

As it stands here...not categorically, or for the long term, but at the moment.

Goneski - but where?

Mostly it’s been taken from him because the fan base went mental that they broke a centuries old tradition of a single captain wearing the number 1.

the fact wines had a horrible year and this thing about his management approaching Carlton just made the choice between Jonas or wines for the single captaincy easier to make.

I expect wines will ask for a trade next year though.

To whoever has the highest trade picks and best trade bait available (only Vic clubs)
To whoever he picks. Port won’t dictate who he has to play for. If a trade can’t be done he will have to play his final year of his contract at a club he doesn’t want to be at - like Daniher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To whoever he picks. Port won’t dictate who he has to play for. If a trade can’t be done he will have to play his final year of his contract at a club he doesn’t want to be at - like Daniher.

final year? He would have 2 more years still left on his contract.

he can certainly name his preferred side if he wanted to leave, but he’s not getting there anytime soon unless that club throws the kitchen sink at port.

Clearly stripped because he hasn't committed. He said:
"As it stands here, I'm 100 per cent committed, it's a positive day for the club going forward"

As it stands here...not categorically, or for the long term, but at the moment.

Goneski - but where?
Possibly reading into it a bit more than what is there I think, however that's what happens at this time of year.

I would suggest Jonas was chosen over him initially as he is a bit more senior than Wines rather than anything else.

However there was noise about him moving during the trade period, whether it was BS from media types as it's always a long slow trade period or his manager was doing a bit of fishing. Always hard to tell.

If of course he is out the door then I would thin that teams like Carlton and Essendon would be front runners.

Offer 10mill a year it wont matter. Until his contract is over (2022) we will force him to warm that bench in the SANFL for the remainder of his contract if we dont get what we want for him.
I think Port have learnt from the Lobbe situation - 'what we want for him' might change depending on what's offered. All of a sudden, salary cap space will become more valuable than Ollie (which I think is the right idea)

Possibly reading into it a bit more than what is there I think, however that's what happens at this time of year.

I would suggest Jonas was chosen over him initially as he is a bit more senior than Wines rather than anything else.

However there was noise about him moving during the trade period, whether it was BS from media types as it's always a long slow trade period or his manager was doing a bit of fishing. Always hard to tell.

If of course he is out the door then I would thin that teams like Carlton and Essendon would be front runners.

Yep no doubt Essendon will come calling if wines requests a trade. Essendon were balls deep in trying to get him before his last contract

Remove this Banner Ad

Back