Recommitted Ollie Wines [re-signed until 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton didn't knock him back, they told them they didn't have the assets to trade for him because they were too busy f***ing up their Jack Martin deal and watching Dodoro f*** himself in the Daniher trade.

Also anyone saying Setterfield is a reason for not getting Wines you are a complete and utter fool.

We absolutely had the assets, but didn’t want him due to needing last year’s first for Papley and not wanting to part with a second first rounder the following year.

Setterfield is developing very nicely, and isn’t the reason we’re reluctant to go after Wines, but is certainly one of the reasons we don’t need to add another inside midfielder. We’ve taken on a number over the past few years - essentially one inside mid from the first round from 2016: Setterfield, Dow, Stocker, Kemp and Philp. At least a few will be permanent inside mids, the others will be part of that rotation.

It’s bad business continually adding to a position we are stacked in. In particular inserting a guy gunning for a big contract. Wines is a nice player but he’s not elite, and we’ve already got our present and future midfield group assembled.

Port havent exactly been a successful team over Wines' career. What have they made the finals once in his time?
Carlton made it a few times in Murphy's career.

Yeh last season where he's coming off shoulder surgery and STILL had a better stat line than Murphy.
How did Murph go when he came back from his collarbone(?) injury. From memory he was pretty average for a while.

Port have been consistently a mid-range team, but have never finished in the bottom 4 while Wines has been there and have been finalists at least 4 times, which is the same number Carlton have made finals (once by default) across Murphy’s career. There’s being unsuccessful, and there’s being poor. I’ll let you figure out which squad Murphy has been a part of.

Correct though, Murphy hasn’t been the same player since his injury in 2012, at which point he was one of the best midfielders in the league. It’s reasonable to consider we may never have seen the very best of him.

Carlton didn't knock him back, they told them they didn't have the assets to trade for him because they were too busy f***ing up their Jack Martin deal and watching Dodoro f*** himself in the Daniher trade.

Also anyone saying Setterfield is a reason for not getting Wines you are a complete and utter fool.

We offered a future second and third for Martin which GC knocked back because they were too stupid to realise they could pakage those picks for a better one by trading to a team that needed points for a bid, so we got him for free.

If Essendon win 8 or 9 games they will go for wines as it's a need, most of their mids look like under 16s players

According to an interview with SOS on trade radio, Wines expressed interest in coming to Carlton but as you said we were tied up trying to get Papley, SOS indicated they would be open to talking to Wines in the future, but his gone now and as I said our midfield will be at a point where trading for wines and paying his salary will not be worth it

Rather have a first round pick, 700k of cap space and play Setterfield in the guts vs Wines and Setterfield on a flank

Any time people start bringing out "the stats" it says "I don't actually watch the sport closely enough and don't really know what's going on so I'm going to look at the 'stats' and use it if it happens to backs up my personal biases which stem from being a one-eyed supporter".

You gonna tell me Nate Brown from Kilda is the biggest superboot in the game due to his standing at #1 for disposal efficiency.

What about Dylan Grimes, who makes the simple look hard on a regular basis, at #12.

Kyle Hartigan, maybe the worst kick in the game apparently is the 72nd best kick in the game (if you rely on DE to gauge who can kick and who can't).

Luke Shuey, one of the absolute best kicks in the game for an inside mid is apparently one of the worst kicks in the game.

What I care about is who routinely messes up straight forward kicks, not who sometimes has kicks not come off when they are kicks that have no margin for error, but have the potential to break the play open if they come off.

Duursma, as I said is only young, so he could get it up to 'acceptable', but currently, his timing is terrible, with kicks dropping short or going too long, way, way, way, too often.

Feel free to think what you want on the back of your "stats" though. You'll probably be listing him as trade bait in 5 years time after the honeymoon period has worn off and it has become apparent to even the most obtuse observer that his kicking makes him a liability - that's in the event it isn't improved to an acceptable standard, which it may, I'm just saying atm his kicking is markedly bad, first year or not.
What a load of s**t

Trying to think of a club that wines fits in at in Victoria carlton don’t seem to need him he’d be on too much coin for us to squeeze in at Richmond

Pies have better mids he probably doesn’t get a game dees are stacked for his type the only options seem to be Essendon or possibly the saints/hawks

Trying to think of a club that wines fits in at in Victoria carlton don’t seem to need him he’d be on too much coin for us to squeeze in at Richmond

Pies have better mids he probably doesn’t get a game dees are stacked for his type the only options seem to be Essendon or possibly the saints/hawks
Can rule the Hawks out we need outside class not more inside bulls.

Already got Mitchell, O'meara, Worpel as our main inside mids with Shiels still playing a role with some young kids to hopefully push in to that spot in the coming years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can essendon and Carlton afford him?

It's hard to say without knowing the salaries but Rance 1.8 mill or whatever comes off the books and Lynch is one a small deal for another season after this.

Can essendon and Carlton afford him?

It's hard to say without knowing the salaries but Rance 1.8 mill or whatever comes off the books and Lynch is one a small deal for another season after this.

carltons cap can’t be that tight, they’re not good enough to nearly have those kind of problems. Dons should be fine, especially if they let Daniher go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back