Ollie Wines - Where Has It All Gone Wrong?

Remove this Banner Ad

TheExtractorFactor

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
New York Knicks/Football Giants
At 28 years old and 2 years removed from a Brownlow Medal, he should be hitting his peak as a footballer but watching him at the moment he is having minimal to no impact at all on the game. Averaging 10 fewer disposals than 2021 is a staggering fall off that cannot just be sheeted home to the continued improvement of Rozee and Butters. How has his career fallen off so quickly?

Can we just admit that he never was that great ??? He had a career year before the likes of Butters, Rozee and JHF took over in the middle and won the award, but he was never a true “elite” midfielder.

The game has changed slightly to focus more on speed, which was never his strong point and his role and influence has changed significantly.

Did very well to win it but he won’t be remembered as a great winner of the medal.

Lol are people just noticing this now?

He’s injured or something. Been obvious all year.

I called it out at the start of the year when he was playing like the lowest time on ground he’s ever played and some of the lowest minutes in our team.

Either he’s injured and can’t train properly, or that heart thing a while back means they have to manage him.

He went from a 30+ disposal gut running machine who played high time on ground to getting sub 15d and barely able to run out 70% tog.

This is old news. Shows how much people pay attention , and the vic media machine actually spends on port other than shock headlines when they can get them.

All we have to wait for now is next offseason to see if he can get his body right or this is a career ending injury.

But this isn’t the case of , overrated player gets found out these know nothings are happily declaring. It’s a player who’s been cut down physically, which we’ve seen happen often in this sport. Hopefully the off-season does something for him but at 29 I worry there’s no coming back.

Doesnt help when a footballer with one key attribute gets moved from the middle and thrown into a pseudo forward role. Needs to increase his centre bounce attendance but unlikely given the current midfield line up

The year he won the Brownlow we had barely anyone stealing votes off him and he had an incredibly consistent, high class year. The Brownlow isn’t about being the best player in the comp, it’s about being the best player on your team consistently.

This year with the emergence of Rozee and Butters they’ve changed his role. Plays purely on the inside and more as a negater/blocker around the contest to allow for others to burst through which means his job isn’t to get the footy. It’s a massive waste of his ball winning ability by the coaches honestly.

If I was a team needing a clearance machine, inside bull like him I’d be coming hard for him in the off season. Still has a lot to give imo

He’s a fat Travis Boak

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would’ve thought your club was the number one retirement home to hand out fat contracts for way past their prime washed up footballers

Who have West Coast EVER brought in from another club that fits that description?

Sam Mitchell? Drew Petrie?

or are you implying Nic Nat?

Those in Nat houses, shouldn’t throw Fyfes. 😉

Who have West Coast EVER brought in from another club that fits that description?

Sam Mitchell? Drew Petrie?

or are you implying Nic Nat?

Those in Nat houses, shouldn’t throw Fyfes. 😉
Gaff
Hurn
McGovern
Darling
Yeo
Nicnat
Shuey

All given 5 + years on Massive coin only for all of them to fall off a cliff playing wise or become perennially injured still with multiple years left on their contracts…
but as if that’s not enough you tried recontracting a few of them Nic Nat (2 years lolol), Cripps, shuey , Hurn last year etc.
Luckily your club was saved from
Its own stupidity by Nic Nat retiring and shuey declining a new contract

And your right , at freo we have
Fyfe ….then…… 🦗

did he seriously win a Charlie?

I had missed that, or forgotten it!

I don't know, maybe he has slipped since then, but I would still have him at the Tigers.

Gaff
Hurn
McGovern
Darling
Yeo
Nicnat
Shuey

All given 5 + years on Massive coin only for all of them to fall off a cliff playing wise or become perennially injured still with multiple years left on their contracts…
but as if that’s not enough you tried recontracting a few of them Nic Nat (2 years lolol), Cripps, shuey , Hurn last year etc.
Luckily your club was saved from
Its own stupidity by Nic Nat retiring and shuey declining a new contract

And your right , at freo we have
Fyfe ….then…… 🦗

So no, we haven’t ever brought in any who would be similar to recruiting an over the hill Ollie Wines like he was Jaegar Omera on a 4 year deal?

Do go on though about the All-Australian/Premiership players we signed to long term deals in their prime + a couple of veterans we extended.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back