Rumour Ollie Wines - will he go or will he stay?

Remove this Banner Ad

yepits2020

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Extracts from Fox Sports

Carlton list manager Stephen Silvagni has confirmed Ollie Wines’ name came up in trade discussions, as the club keep the door open for a future swoop on the Port Adelaide co-captain.
The Herald Sun reported on Monday the Wines camp had asked the Blues to consider exploring a trade for the 24-year-old, but Carlton elected not to pursue him.
Wines’ manager and the Power strongly denied that this occurred, but Carlton’s list manager Stephen Silvagni confirmed on SEN Breakfast the 25-year-old’s name was brought up in conversations.
The Blues respect Wines is contracted player at Alberton until the end of 2022, but would consider meeting with the midfielder if he was to seek a trade to Victoria in the future.
“Ollie’s name came up, but he was never put on the table and so it was something that was blown out of proportion a little bit,” Silvagni said.
“To be fair to Port Adelaide and Ollie he’s obviously a Port Adelaide player and a really good one.

AND

Ollie Wines’ manager Nick Gieschen has vehemently denied he approached Carlton asking them to consider trading for the Port Adelaide midfielder.
Speaking to foxfooty.com.au, Gieschen refuted a report in the Herald Sun on Monday.
“I can categorically say I never approached Carlton asking their football club to make an approach for Ollie Wines,” he said.

I think it is a load of bull. Its a wonder they didn't report my name came up in conversation.

"To be fair to Port Adelaide and Ollie he’s obviously a Port Adelaide player"

such knowledge..!!! i feel my third eye expanding........

Extracts from Fox Sports

Carlton list manager Stephen Silvagni has confirmed Ollie Wines’ name came up in trade discussions, as the club keep the door open for a future swoop on the Port Adelaide co-captain.
The Herald Sun reported on Monday the Wines camp had asked the Blues to consider exploring a trade for the 24-year-old, but Carlton elected not to pursue him.
Wines’ manager and the Power strongly denied that this occurred, but Carlton’s list manager Stephen Silvagni confirmed on SEN Breakfast the 25-year-old’s name was brought up in conversations.
The Blues respect Wines is contracted player at Alberton until the end of 2022, but would consider meeting with the midfielder if he was to seek a trade to Victoria in the future.
“Ollie’s name came up, but he was never put on the table and so it was something that was blown out of proportion a little bit,” Silvagni said.
“To be fair to Port Adelaide and Ollie he’s obviously a Port Adelaide player and a really good one.

AND

Ollie Wines’ manager Nick Gieschen has vehemently denied he approached Carlton asking them to consider trading for the Port Adelaide midfielder.
Speaking to foxfooty.com.au, Gieschen refuted a report in the Herald Sun on Monday.
“I can categorically say I never approached Carlton asking their football club to make an approach for Ollie Wines,” he said.

I think it is a load of bull. Its a wonder they didn't report my name came up in conversation.
Lol...”his name came up in converstations”....

Regardless of everything said by everyone involved, I still say wines for luko is a good chance at the end of next year
Zero chance of Ollie going to the Gold Coast but if you mean moving him on to a Victorian club gives us currency in other dealings that's another thing.

Last edited:
Extracts from Fox Sports

AND

I think it is a load of bull. It's a wonder they didn't report my name came up in conversation.

Careful, you will spoil the s**t slinging fest so many seem to love to jump on via the usual bullshit reported from the overpaid muppets in the media....

Extracts from Fox Sports

AND

You've quoted two media reports that tell us:

1. Someone connected to Wines asked Carlton to consider making a play to trade for him.
2. His manager denied making the approach.

This does not necessarily mean that one or the other are lying, it means that someone other than his manager could have made the approach.

Since it's also been reported that his father/uncle made an approach, the 'evidence' above suggests this may actually be what occurred.

You've quoted two media reports that tell us:

1. Someone connected to Wines asked Carlton to consider making a play to trade for him.
2. His manager denied making the approach.

This does not necessarily mean that one or the other are lying, it means that someone other than his manager could have made the approach.

Since it's also been reported that his father/uncle made an approach, the 'evidence' above suggests this may actually be what occurred.
I am pretty sure Ollie’s dad will be shaking his head at that comment

Zero chance of Ollie going to the Gold Coast but if you mean moving him on to a Victorian club gives us currency in other dealings that's another thing.

Yep exactly what I mean.

From a port perspective, wines out, luko in, either giving or receiving extra if needed based on their seasons.

Whether it's Carlton, St Kilda, essendon, or someone else entirely who facilitates it I don't know

So basically your theory is
“AFL journos reported it so it must be fake”?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Your words, deliberately twisting what I said, not mine. There are some I trust, and their content comes with verified sources and quotes. However, the "it has been reported" journos are certainly not amongst them.

Sorry for the intrusion, just wandering if you guys think Port are prepping to trade Ollie wines at the end of the year? Reckon it would be a good move for your club with so many strong inside mids. Would result in a first round pick and something else. I’m hoping big time that we trade/lose Bcrouch at the end of the year for the same reason. Cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry for the intrusion, just wandering if you guys think Port are prepping to trade Ollie wines at the end of the year? Reckon it would be a good move for your club with so many strong inside mids. Would result in a first round pick and something else. I’m hoping big time that we trade/lose Bcrouch at the end of the year for the same reason. Cheers
Why? He is your best player IMO, whereas Ollie Wines is massively underperforming, and probably on much higher dough than Crouch.

If this is true with such certainty I can only assume that there is a captaincy transition already arranged for a year or 2's time.
He has 3 years to go on a contract, 2 come October 2020 trade period, Jonas will only be captain for 1 or 2 seasons and then Ollie will take over. He is the natural next in line, that's why he is VC. If he didn't * up his shoulder water skiing and had a big year, he would have been the sole captain in 2020.

Why? He is your best player IMO, whereas Ollie Wines is massively underperforming, and probably on much higher dough than Crouch.
I think he lost his outside pace through repeat injuries and is starting to bog down into and inside role. He often burns the ball by foot and delivers hand passes to others under more pressure. I think jones and Mchenry can step up into his spot and we can score a first round pick in the process. Knowing the crows though they will stupidly pay 1mil a year for 5 years for him.

Ollie isn't going anywhere.
What you are saying is logical, but his horrific year, and then the Carlton-gate nonsense really has destabilised his position IMO. If he doesnt massively improve his output in 2020, and doesnt regain his enjoyment for the game (something he lost in 2019), then IMO it will be win/win if he moves on. Better for him, because he is clearly not enjoying the game, and obviously better for the club.

I really like Ollie, and hope his 2019 can be expunged from our memories, ala Men-In-Black, by having a ripper year, and gaining back respect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back