Rumour Ollie Wines - will he go or will he stay?

Remove this Banner Ad

There were two teams playing so those stats weren't as inflated as you suggest. Yes he managed to be the youngest player on that 15 man list.

As I said, its ridiculous that Jesus waited 3 days to come back from the dead.
Yes there were two teams but only one of them played in games with higher total stoppages every single week.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Whilst C4 is usually spot on, I just don’t understand it this time. If it is mutual between the club and Wines camp, why on earth is he the Vice Captain?

Makes absolutely no sense.

Name another player that's been captain for one season and demoted.

It doesn't happen. Making him VC was just protecting from all the negativity and unwanted media attention.

The issue was making someone a co-captain who had been shopped around by his manager on a regular basis, in the first place.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
View attachment 807814

Posting so c4 doesn't have too here

Oh please. Edited for accuracy.

"Because until season's end last year when he was as loyal to the club as any Port Player has been he’s a divisive character within the football department who tried to jump ship last year after getting pissed off with the continual overreaction to his one *up in 7 years and then had his manager embarrass the club unsubstantiated unless proven by publicly leaking approaches to other club in order to force Port's hand using tactics similar to so many other players before him.

It didn’t work and that’s why they stripped him of the captaincy and made him Vice Captain.

They also want his salary and ASA money to use elsewhere on the plethora of other star players who are breaking their neck to get to Port Adelaide possibly, The club is so desperate to have his salary and ASA money they didn't trade him this year as they could have, netting us a pick that would have landed us with one of several players in the draft we would have given our left nut for."

But hey I'm convinced. Piss him off. He is happy, we are happy because we have a gaggle of players who aren't near retirement who have demonstrated they are ready to take his place. Get early draft picks so we can get more babies to the club in the weakest compromised draft in a long time, or use said picks to attract all those players breaking their neck to get here including Lukoscious who has just signed a contract extension with the Suns.

I respect C4's inside knowledge as much as anyone. But if you can't see that this post is biased I've got a bridge I would like to sell you.

GoPorts

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Imagine going into a coma at the end of 2014 and waking 5 years later to find out that young and exciting Port team in now playing one of the most boring styles of football in the league, hasn't won a final (only played in one) and has managed to break down the relationship with the two players expected to be the key to our success for the next decade

Now imagine the same guy whose been in charge of the whole sorry decline is still there

Oddly enough the supporters disdain for the co-captain model probably helped them if this report is true. Gave them an ''out'' to demote him and say it was them 'listening to our members''

Feb 7, 2014
reynella
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea FC , Boston Red Sox/celtics

"Because until season's end last year when he was as loyal to the club as any Port Player has been he’s a divisive character within the football department who tried to jump ship last year after getting pissed off with the continual overreaction to his one fu**up in 7 years and then had his manager embarrass the club unsubstantiated unless proven by publicly leaking approaches to other club in order to force Port's hand using tactics similar to so many other players before him.

It didn’t work and that’s why they stripped him of the captaincy and made him Vice Captain.

They also want his salary and ASA money to use elsewhere on the plethora of other star players who are breaking their neck to get to Port Adelaide possibly, The club is so desperate to have his salary and ASA money they didn't trade him this year as they could have, netting us a pick that would have landed us with one of several players in the draft we would have given our left nut for."

But hey I'm convinced. Piss him off. He is happy, we are happy because we have a gaggle of players who aren't near retirement who have demonstrated they are ready to take his place. Get early draft picks so we can get more babies to the club in the weakest compromised draft in a long time, or use said picks to attract all those players breaking their neck to get here including Lukoscious who has just signed a contract extension with the Suns.

I respect C4's inside knowledge as much as anyone. But if you can't see that this post is biased I've got a bridge I would like to sell you.

Cool story bro

Right so at most his stats were half as inflated as you originally suggested.
I said they were inflated due to the stoppage heavy game we played. Without seeing the actual statistic it would be difficult to determine by how much which is why I did not even attempt to quantify it.

Can you see that having 22 games vs 1-2 games where a particular statistic is being inflated is significant when you then compare it to the rest of the league?

If he really did approach other clubs and the club really is pissed off with him for that (both of which I believe) then why didn't we just grant him his wish and move him on? Was there Hinkley interference here? Also, why the hell did we then make him vice captain?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 17, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If he really did approach other clubs and the club really is pissed off with him for that (both of which I believe) then why didn't we just grant him his wish and move him on? Was there Hinkley interference here? Also, why the hell did we then make him vice captain?
(Because we haven't internally changed our Captains. They just slapped the 1 on Jonas to shut the members up.)

GoPorts

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm sure we would have moved him on if another club offered anything for him

TalkingFootyNow1223

Stay Calm... Its Just A Game... SweetFA..
Sep 6, 2019
Spamtopia...
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers

"Because until season's end last year when he was as loyal to the club as any Port Player has been he’s a divisive character within the football department who tried to jump ship last year after getting pissed off with the continual overreaction to his one fu**up in 7 years and then had his manager embarrass the club unsubstantiated unless proven by publicly leaking approaches to other club in order to force Port's hand using tactics similar to so many other players before him.

If Lukosius was breaking his neck to get here, why did he just re-sign with GC?

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I said they were inflated due to the stoppage heavy game we played. Without seeing the actual statistic it would be difficult to determine by how much which is why I did not even attempt to quantify it.

Can you see that having 22 games vs 1-2 games where a particular statistic is being inflated is significant when you then compare it to the rest of the league?

Yes, it is hard to quantify. I concede. His statistics were inflated, even though he was the youngest player on either the clearance or contested possessions list (where contested possessions may or may not have anything to do with stoppages). Despite being runner up in the Best and Fairest list that year we should get rid of him post haste, hell we should have got rid of him last year. We could have got rid of him in 2018 to get us early pick in the superdraft.

Yes, it is hard to quantify. I concede. His statistics were inflated, even though he was the youngest player on either the clearance or contested possessions list (where contested possessions may or may not have anything to do with stoppages). Despite being runner up in the Best and Fairest list that year we should get rid of him post haste, hell we should have got rid of him last year. We could have got rid of him in 2018 to get us early pick in the superdraft.
Yes.

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
Gah, nothing at this club makes sense anymore! This is just one of many bazaar decisions that can't be tied together.
Wines isn't even the one we should worry about keeping, if he's not committed to Port then he shouldn't be here. There are other more important names that could depart Alberton this year, and Robbie Gray might even be among them if we don't get results.

Leaveit2charlie

Club Legend
Jan 29, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Gah, nothing at this club makes sense anymore! This is just one of many bazaar decisions that can't be tied together.
Wines isn't even the one we should worry about keeping, if he's not committed to Port then he shouldn't be here. There are other more important names that could depart Alberton this year, and Robbie Gray might even be among them if we don't get results.

Robbie is not one of them.

AFC AFeederClub

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
i cant believe people are still thinking Ollie is some sort of untradable asset. The facts are he's an ok footballer, his disposal lets him down, does seem to go missing in big game or for periods of the game over the past 3 years. The problem with Ollie is there was always this perception of him being a messiah and certainly the next captain based on pretty much nothing. I think the longer we hold on him the more his value drops, he is certainly replaceable.

Sep 8, 2014
Look behind you!
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings, Oakland Raiders
Because we are stupid heads that do stupid things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back