Recommitted Ollie Wines [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Ollie will sign on for a couple more years and then as an RFA will look to head back to Melbourne..just a gut feel. As a crows supporter we are that used to players deciding to head off that it is almost a plan to draft a vic metro kid in amongst our other draftees (our recruitment team has a knack of picking very good talent with later picks etc and turning them into very good players), turn them into a really good player and then be prepared to drive a hard trade to exact overs for them when they want to go home. Eventually it will lead to more top end picks and more top end SA kids being able to be picked...maybe it is the long game
What you posted actually reinforces my claim to trading Ollie Wines Now and getting the #1 pick to draft Jack Lukosius even more
You wont get a better return than a gun KPF for the next 15 years

What you posted actually reinforces my claim to trading Ollie Wines Now and getting the #1 pick to draft Jack Lukosius even more
You wont get a better return than a gun KPF for the next 15 years
my guess is that port will back themselves in to convincing Wines to stay with port as they want him and have identified him as their next captain AND they will no doubt be looking at trying to entice Lukosius etc back to SA over the coming years. They could be thinking that they could keep wines AND have a crack at Lukosius in the next couple of years (not saying they definitely will, but them might)

my guess is that port will back themselves in to convincing Wines to stay with port as they want him and have identified him as their next captain AND they will no doubt be looking at trying to entice Lukosius etc back to SA over the coming years. They could be thinking that they could keep wines AND have a crack at Lukosius in the next couple of years (not saying they definitely will, but them might)
Yes i agree that would be the most likely scenario and dont know if JL will ever be at port
My thoughts were what i would do rather than what will happen

If they are that keen on Lukosius I wouldn't be taking the chance that he stays at whoever drafts him, apart from the one off season of the Go Home 5 which was 5 years ago now the only young talent we have lost is Josh Schache and the jury is still out on whether he makes it.

Since Fagan and Noble have come on board nearly all our draftees are signing extensions early during their initial contracts eg. Cameron Rayner, Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry, Cedric Cox, Alex Witherden, Toby Wooller. IIRC Rayner and McCluggage were both talked up big time on BF and in some sections of the MSM as being go home risks.

IMO Oliver Wines is a no brainer for pick 1, he is an A grade inside mid who barring a catastrophic injury has at least 6-7 years of good football left in him and as you say yourself even "Lukosius who could be Nick Riewoldt like in impact" is less of a sure thing.

Some recent number one draft selections- David Swallow, Jonathan Patton, Lachie Whitfield, Tom Boyd, Paddy McCartin, I wont mention the few latest drafts as their is not quite the body of evidence to make a good judgement but I would be taking Oliver Wines over all of these right now.

Looking at former #1 draft picks it really puts things in perspective about proven talent. Port themselves had some critics for trading in Dixon and Ryder but they are our most important players. Id love the chance to get Lukosius but Ollie will be helping us compete now and into the next generation.

I will back out list management team to make the call as they have done well recently in judging drafts (getting SPP, Marshall and Atley in 2016) and have extra picks this year as well. They seem to be on the ball when it comes to forward planning and getting the most out of the picks we have.

Reports coming out in Vic is that Wines staying is as good as done and should be completed in June.

Essendon fans can breathe a sigh of relief in the knowledge that he won’t be eating into Orazio Fantasia and Darcy ‘VFL player’ Parish’s salary cap money.

It’s a very very rare draftee that I’d trade a player of Ollie Wines’ proven quality for. Jack Lukosius is that very very rare draftee.

Sure Lukosius has a huge amount of talent with loads of potential, but that all it is, potential.

Wines is a proven A grade inside mid, Top 10 in the Brownlow last year, 6th for clearances the year and still only 23....

In no world do you trade Wines out to secure the number 1 pick.... If Wines wanted to leave getting pick 1 and a second first rounder getting us Lukosius and leaving us with an additional 2 firsts, would be a silver lining to loosing Wines, it is not reason to tell him he is being forced out to bing in an unproven teenager.

Last edited:
Can still package picks together to move up the order...
You could, but with only 1 1st round pick this year and clubs very reluctant to pass on their picks in this superdraft year, it will be very hard for them to do that. I am glad that the crows have 3 picks inside top 20 and if either Lynch or sloane leave, it will garner further 1st round picks which can be used to move up the draft order. A question, would you be prepared to let wines go if it meant being able to draft Lukosius?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure Lukosius has a huge amount of talent with loads of potential, but that all it is, potential.

Wines is a proven A grade inside mid, Top 10 in the Brownlow last year, 6th for clearances the year and still only 23....

In no world do you trade Wines out to secure the number 1 pick.... If Wines wanted to leave getting pick 1 and a second first rounder getting us Lukosius and leaving us with an additional 2 firsts, would be a silver lining to loosing Wines, it is not reason to tell him he is being forced out to bing in an unpreiver teenager.
In most other years, I agree that Wines would net 2 x first round picks but this is not that year. Carlton might be prepared to let go of their 1st round pick but I doubt they would part with anything else

You could, but with only 1 1st round pick this year and clubs very reluctant to pass on their picks in this superdraft year, it will be very hard for them to do that. I am glad that the crows have 3 picks inside top 20 and if either Lynch or sloane leave, it will garner further 1st round picks which can be used to move up the draft order. A question, would you be prepared to let wines go if it meant being able to draft Lukosius?

Absolutly not, read my last post just before yours for my explanation as to why

In no world do you trade Wines out to secure the number 1 pick.... If Wines wanted to leave getting pick 1 and a second first rounder getting us Lukosius and leaving us with an additional 2 firsts, would be a silver lining to loosing Wines, it is not reason to tell him he is being forced out to bing in an unproven teenager.

Yeah, again, pretty much every other year I’d agree with you, but Lukosius is special. Honestly I don’t think there’s ever been a junior who I wanted at my club pre-draft more than I want Lukosius.

Moot point anyway, as I expect Wines will re-sign and the choice won’t be there to make.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/06/04/wines-still-weighing-up-his-future/

Seems to be the same story he was saying a few months back?

“I haven’t really put a timeframe on it,” Wines said.

“I’d love to get it done in the next couple of weeks, but it depends how I’m feeling and how everything comes to play. Probably within the next two-to-three weeks.

“I’ve been able to talk to my family a lot, my management and we are just working through the decision.

“It’s sort of left up to me to make and I’ve had all the information from the various parties and understand what’s going forward.

Its time to be ruthless!
We missed the boat on hartlett, lobbe, pittard etc etc
Is it who i want to make a stand with? no not really but has to be done sometime!
this team is happy with mediocrity and become a buddy buddy type place. Show the team its not ok to just check in grab a pay check and go home.
I dont think it would set us back as far as say loosing a Howard or Marshall etc.
This draft is the time to take a punt

Its time to be ruthless!
We missed the boat on hartlett, lobbe, pittard etc etc
Is it who i want to make a stand with? no not really but has to be done sometime!
this team is happy with mediocrity and become a buddy buddy type place. Show the team its not ok to just check in grab a pay check and go home.
I dont think it would set us back as far as say loosing a Howard or Marshall etc.
This draft is the time to take a punt
I would give up our first this year for Wines, likely to be in the top 3. Unlikely to happen though, can't see him wanting to come to the Lions and I would be against paying him a godfather offer.

Will take pick 1 if he is wanting to leave.

Win win for us at this stage. Either get a top 2 pick, likely pick 1 from Carlton or let him walk and still receive pick 1 based on someone paying $1mil for him.

In most other years, I agree that Wines would net 2 x first round picks but this is not that year. Carlton might be prepared to let go of their 1st round pick but I doubt they would part with anything else

We have saints 2nd rounder which is likely to be pick 20 or 21 as well.

So if we finish 8th we’d likely have picks:

11, 21 and 29 to package.

Will take pick 1 if he is wanting to leave.

Win win for us at this stage. Either get a top 2 pick, likely pick 1 from Carlton or let him walk and still receive pick 1 based on someone paying $1mil for him.
Not even Judd got pick 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back