Olympic Basketball Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Kobe Bryant thinks that the current 'dream team' would beat the 'dream team' of 1992 with Jordan in the side.
Jordan just laughed this off last month.
Bryant then said, that the 92 team is better but we could beat them in a game.

The USA may be thrashing their opponents, but they aren't treating their games seriously. Miami Heat would beat the Dream Team easily, if they played serious. (That's if the Dream Team wasn't taking it seriously as they have been).
You got actual quotes from Kobe?

It's ridiculous because the US team would get monstered inside by Robinson and Ewing. Their biggest bloke is Chandler who is skinny and about 6'10. Good defender but could he defend two of the greatest C's of all time. Probs not.

That's just Ewing and D-Rob. I havent even started on Malone and Barkley, Stockton and Magic, Bird, Pippen, Mullin.

Oh and that other guy... Jarden or Jorden... cant remember his name. He was alright.

You got actual quotes from Kobe?

It's ridiculous because the US team would get monstered inside by Robinson and Ewing. Their biggest bloke is Chandler who is skinny and about 6'10. Good defender but could he defend two of the greatest C's of all time. Probs not.

That's just Ewing and D-Rob. I havent even started on Malone and Barkley, Stockton and Magic, Bird, Pippen, Mullin.

Oh and that other guy... Jarden or Jorden... cant remember his name. He was alright.

Two decades after Michael Jordan led the first US NBA Dream Team to Barcelona Olympic gold by amazing margins, Kobe Bryant says this year's London Olympic US NBA squad could beat that legendary lineup.
"It would be a tough one but I think we would pull it out," Bryant said. "People who think we can't beat that team for one game, they are crazy. To sit there and say we can't, it's ludicrous. We can beat them one time."
The Dream Team, which featured Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson among 11 players now in the Basketball Hall of Fame, begs to differ.
"There's no question about it -- we would kill them," said 1992 US Olympic center Patrick Ewing.
"We were much bigger. Our bigs were much bigger and more athletic. We had Magic, Michael. I think we would dominate them."
http://tensport.com.au/news/newsarticles/Basketball-Were-better-than-Dream-Team-says-Bryant.htm

Two decades after Michael Jordan led the first US NBA Dream Team to Barcelona Olympic gold by amazing margins, Kobe Bryant says this year's London Olympic US NBA squad could beat that legendary lineup.
"It would be a tough one but I think we would pull it out," Bryant said. "People who think we can't beat that team for one game, they are crazy. To sit there and say we can't, it's ludicrous. We can beat them one time."
The Dream Team, which featured Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson among 11 players now in the Basketball Hall of Fame, begs to differ.
"There's no question about it -- we would kill them," said 1992 US Olympic center Patrick Ewing.
"We were much bigger. Our bigs were much bigger and more athletic. We had Magic, Michael. I think we would dominate them."
http://tensport.com.au/news/newsarticles/Basketball-Were-better-than-Dream-Team-says-Bryant.htm
Kobe is a moron.

Even with Howard, Rose, Wade and whoever else the US team dont have on the roster right now, they still dont get anywhere near The Dream Team. Ewing speaks the truth.

ok, there seems to be a bit of in fighting here. that's what USA want, us to bitch and snipe each other.

no, regarding kobes 2012 > dream team, bullshit. but who cares. media stunt of the highest order. the real issue is WHY DO PEOPLE CALL THE CURRENT TEAM THE DREAM TEAM????? its not their nickname.

camabge - grow some balls!!!! demand the fkin ball. he's akin to andy bynum. needs to demand and want the ball.

The documentary that recently aired on the original Dream Team is fantastic viewing.

I think with Rose, Wade and Howard ... then Kobe, Durant and LeBron could make a reasonable game of it (but still lose). But they'd be relying heavily on Howard and would otherwise be monstered for size. The lineup playing at the Olympics would get absolutely smashed by the Dream Team.

I honestly think Spain (if they get their s**t together) or Argentina have some kind of chance at providing a decent contest. A lot would have to go wrong for USA to actually lose ... but if they shoot poorly from 3 point land, and say Ibaka and the Gasols have big games ... then who knows? Argentina also pushed them for a while, could happen again.

camabge - grow some balls!!!! demand the fkin ball. he's akin to andy bynum. needs to demand and want the ball.
wink_gif.gif

IMO Cambage was spent after half time, I know the commentators seemed to be of the opinion that it was the US's defensive work, but I think when she was just standing there and some girl came up behind her and knocked the ball out of her hands it basically emphasised this. Also the girl who got knocked and couldn't come back on (Screen?) was doing very well and I think they sort of went down hill from there. Such a shame they couldn't go on with it, although considering the difference between the importance of Basketball here and in the states, we do relatively well I think. Anyway, there's my once every four years b'ball watching.

f***k i hate USA. Thought we had this game at half time. Cambage was the key she was on FIRE in that first half unlucky she couldn't go on with it, she seemed to run out of legs plus the US woke up to her and she just totally lost confidence which she does from time to time. To people hanging crap on her lets just remember shes still only 20 years old. If she can put it all together by 2016 when shes in her prime she will be one of if not the best woman basketballers in the world.

Until the Opals develop players that can shoot the ball consistently from mid range jumpers to the 3 point line they will never beat the US. Lauren Jackson is the only one with a proper shooting technique, Penny Taylor is the other. Also Erin Phillips who for some unknown reason they left out the team. Erin Phillips >>> Grandma Harrower

Until the Opals develop players that can shoot the ball consistently from mid range jumpers to the 3 point line they will never beat the US. Lauren Jackson is the only one with a proper shooting technique, Penny Taylor is the other. Also Erin Phillips who for some unknown reason they left out the team. Erin Phillips >>> Grandma Harrower

jackson seems to shoot the ball very flat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would not have been close. I'm on record as saying that when she got hurt. Cost us the gold medal. Still believe when both teams have their strongest squads we're a better team. Hopefully LJ and Taylor both end their careers at the worlds. Get a good point guard to replace Harrower and we're going to win it.

Still a believer.

Na, wasn't going to happen. Even with Penny Taylor in the team, I doubt we would have beaten the USA.

Australia hasn't beaten the yanks in international competition for 20 years. Even when we won the gold medal at the 2006 World Championships in Brazil, it was the Russian Federation who beat them.

We will not win a major basketball competition as long as Carrie Graf is coach.

I did wonder why Graf is coaching them. Im not being sexist but their are much better basketball coaches in Australia. They happen to be all men. The Opals could do better.

Jan Stirling suggest your should change your mind. She is the best person to coach the Opals.

She may not be the best basketball coach in Australia, but she is the best basketball coach to coach the women's side.

I've seen a bit of the Opals during this Olympics, and I reckon Cambage (spell?) looks fairly average. Remember a crap load of talk about her prior to the Olympics. Little disappointed, however Jackson looks to be still going strong.

Nice black-eye one of the Aussie girls have :oops:

I've seen a bit of the Opals during this Olympics, and I reckon Cambage (spell?) looks fairly average. Remember a crap load of talk about her prior to the Olympics. Little disappointed, however Jackson looks to be still going strong.

Nice black-eye one of the Aussie girls have :oops:
Her last couple of games have been really good, she's scoring a lot. However, for a giant she's bloody soft. Pretty much cries every time she gets any contact to her.

Ah fair enough, I haven't watched full games but in patches she has looked a little timid and lethargic.

Probably been on fire when I've turned it off. :mad:

Talk about coming a long way to sit on the bench

Laura Summerton Hodges has gone across all the way to London, done all the training, warmups, attended all the team talks

and has played a grand total of

2 (?!?!) MINUTES on COURT!

*not being a keyboard warrior* I can play 2 minutes on a basketball court :D

But at least you get to keep the uniforms, and if they win bronze you'll get it, even though you've only played 2 minutes

The same with Chris Jent, Andrew Gaze, Charles Jones and Zan tabak, they made the benches warm, but those clowns all have more NBA championship rings than hall of fame legends Charles Barkley, Karl Malone and Patrick Ewing combined

Remove this Banner Ad

Back