Summer Olympic Sports in between Olympics thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Visually this is probably the most exciting thing I have ever seen the cameras capture at a World champs or Olympics.

Just the way it panned in and moved at a similar speed to him and a wide screen and side view as opposed to the normal fixed camera and then the celebration of the crowd who were still on their feet after the women's 4x4 and Mondo's celebration summersault - to quote Rob Walker - was absolutely brilliant - way to end the meet.

And this was great as well - back to back WR then the bloody wind gauge says it can't be recognised.

The World Athletics Championships Oregon22 have provided ideal conditions for the best track and field athletes in the world to shine on a global stage, with exhilarating and record-breaking performances by both individual athletes and national teams.

More than 1700 athletes from 179 countries (plus the Athlete Refugee Team) have competed in Oregon, watched by more than 130,000 ticketed spectators.

In terms of performance, this will go down as the most universal edition in the history of the global event.

More countries than ever before have had athletes reach the finals of events in Oregon. The list of 81 countries is up from 76 countries in Doha in 2019, with Liberia, Niger, Pakistan, Samoa, Philippines and Guatemala reaching a final for the first time in World Championships history.

Underlying the diversity and global reach of track and field, every continental area features at least one world champion, while Peru and Kazakhstan won their first ever gold medals, and India and Burkina Faso also had their best ever medal performances (silver).

The record for the number of countries winning gold medals at one championships has also been broken, with 29 countries taking turns on the top step of the podium, compared with 26 in 2017.

The USA team broke the record for the most medals at a single championships, earning 33 in total, 13 of them gold.

That tally was strengthened by medal sweeps in the men’s 100m, 200m and shot put. Jamaica, meanwhile, achieved a medal sweep of its own, taking all three medals in the women’s 100m.

Peru’s Kimberly Garcia has been the top individual performer of the championships, landing double gold in the women’s race walks. Had she been entered as a separate team, she would place seventh on the medals table.

Beyond the dominant performers, there have also been many close finishes and competitive finals. Just two hundredths of a second separated the medallists in the men’s 100m. The women’s 10,000m also produced a close and thrilling finish, and the men’s shot put once again provided an exciting crescendo. Even the men’s 35km race walk went down to the wire, with just one second separating gold from silver.

"Tonight we had a spectacular ending to a ground-breaking championships - with two world records and stunning racing in a passionate sold-out stadium to add the final flourish to the first world outdoor championships held in the USA," said World Athletics President Sebastian Coe. "We have had more countries win gold than ever before and more countries reach finals than ever before. This wouldn't have been possible without the hard work of our Local Organising Committee, the commitment of the state of Oregon and the local authorities, and the dedication of our officials and volunteers. I thank them all for making this an unforgettable world championships, but most of all I thank the athletes, who have once again put on the greatest show on earth."

Other performance milestones achieved in Oregon include:

· Sydney McLaughlin’s extraordinary world 400m hurdles record, now faster than the women’s flat 400m record was 50 years ago

· 13 championship records and 30 world-leading performances

· 3 world records, 19 area records, 92 national records, 1 world U20 record

· The fastest ever marathons at a major championships

· The first time that three women have broken nine minutes for the 3000m steeplechase

· Allyson Felix extended her record medal total to 20 after gold in the women's 4x400m and bronze in the mixed 4x400m

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
What a morning! Some solid Aussie performances and absolute elite showings from 3 superstars. What is Duplantis capable of clearing when his body has fully matured?!

AdelaideGT

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
It was a great meet and our Aussie reps were mostly great. Now a few days to calm down and recover before the World Junior Champs & Comm Games.

Sad that Liz Clay has had to withdraw with her broken foot from that hurdles crash and that Ash Moloney's injuries may also force him out of Birmingham.

AdelaideGT

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
One thing I'm not too happy about is the announcement from World Athletics that repechage heats will be introduced in the Paris Olympics. Something nobody asked for and most fans aren't particularly pleased.

If they were going to introduce something so radical, you'd hope it would be tested out at junior or continental champs before being used at an Olympics or WC.

There were 49 events in Eugene, 5 relays and 44 individual events that produced 132 individual medals.

Only 4, 2 golds and 2 silvers were won by athletes who didn't have a Top 10 World Ranking or Top 10 Season Best ie in 2022. Most had both.

The shock out of the blue winner is rare these days compared to even 20 years ago.

The qualifying period was 28 June 2021 to 26 June 2022, so some athletes didn't have a World Ranking because they didn't do enough events to get a ranking, or didn't have a season best ie in 2022, but their times or distances in Tokyo gave them a ranking to qualify. Some athletes WR was heavily influenced / weighted by their performance in Tokyo.

These are the 4 events and medal winners who weren't top 10. Comp = number of competitors that had accepted an invitation and were entered a week before the World Champs started. Some athletes were late withdrawals because they tested positive to Covid, and some had injuries and didn't get right before their event.

No real surprise 3 of the 4 events / medallists were in the long distances.

EventGold.Silver.Bronze..GoldSilverBronzeEntry
Men's

20 kilometres walkToshikazu Yamanishi
1:19:07​
Koki Ikeda
1:19:14​
Perseus Karlström
1:19:18​
Comp3745WR
details
Japan (JPN)
Sweden (SWE)48x14SB

Women's

5000 metresGudaf Tsegay
14:46.3​
Beatrice Chebet
Dawit Seyaum
14:47.4​
Comp7193WR
details
Ethiopia412123SB

I got the WR and SB from this document put out by World Athletics

Stats

Entry lists by event and season's best

Athletics Oz summary of Eugene

Some stats from Tarby. The 3rd tweet he has some stats on a few who went to the 2013 IAAF World Youth Championships (U18s), and says 4 of the team hit their best in Eugene. The 2013 event was in what seems a very strange place today, Donetsk, UKraine.

Cedric Dubler went to the 2014 IAAF World Youth Championships held in Eugene at the old Hayward Field.

Last edited:
May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Ah * off wind. Because reading was +2.5m/s its not an official WR for Tobi Amusan.

My favourite ever triple jump I've seen was this one by Edwards - it was wind-aided (only 2.4) but he just takes off in the jump phase. I think it's technically better than either of his 2 world records (which he did later).

My favourite ever triple jump I've seen was this one by Edwards - it was wind-aided (only 2.4) but he just takes off in the jump phase. I think it's technically better than either of his 2 world records (which he did later).

Long time since I have seen that. Edwards had an unbelievable 6 weeks as per the legal and wind aided non legal jumps below. Its a pity it was 1995 not 1996.

I still recall watching live at night time maybe between 1am and 2am so still wide awake, his back to back jumps in Gothenburg and being blown away by them - just like the commentators were. Pretty sure 7 did the broadcast. It is seared into my memory banks.

In Atlanta he wasn't in quiet as good a form. Still jumped 17.88 to win Silver, but Kenny Harrison on home soil Olympics pulled out all stops to legally break 18m for the first time.

Legal jumps

All-time men's best triple jump

* = best legal jump in series with series best jump wind-aided

1 18.29 +1.3 Jonathan Edwards GBR 10.05.66 1 Göteborg 07.08.1995
2 18.21 +0.2 Christian Taylor USA 18.06.90 1 Beijing 27.08.2015
3 18.14 +0.4 Will Claye USA 13.06.91 1 Long Beach 29.06.2019
4 18.11 +0.8 Christian Taylor USA 18.06.90 1 Eugene 27.05.2017
5 18.09 -0.4 Kenny Harrison USA 13.02.65 1 Atlanta 27.07.1996

ancillary jumps - en route to final marks

1 18.16 +1.3 Jonathan Edwards GBR 10.05.66 Göteborg 07.08.1995
2 18.02 +0.8 Christian Taylor USA 18.06.90 Lausanne 09.07.2015
3 17.99 -0.1 Kenny Harrison USA 13.02.65 Atlanta 27.07.1996

Non Legal jumps

wind-assisted marks

1 18.43 +2.4 Jonathan Edwards GBR 10.05.66 1 Villeneuve d'Ascq 25.06.1995
2 18.20 +5.2 Willie Banks USA 11.03.56 1 Indianapolis 16.07.1988
3 18.17 +2.1 Mike Conley USA 05.10.62 1 Barcelona 03.08.1992
4 18.08 +2.5 Jonathan Edwards GBR 10.05.66 1 Sheffield 23.07.1995
5 18.05 +2.4 Will Claye USA 13.06.91 2 Eugene 27.05.2017
6 18.03 +2.9 Jonathan Edwards GBR 10.05.66 1 Gateshead 02.07.1995
7 18.01 +3.7 Kenny Harrison USA 13.02.65 1 Atlanta 15.06.1996 2 weeks before Olympics

AdelaideGT

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Some stats from Tarby. The 3rd tweet he has some stats on a few who went to the 2013 IAAF World Youth Championships (U18s), and says 4 of the team hit their best in Eugene. The 2013 event was in what seems a very strange place today, Donetsk, UKraine.

Had a nice chat with Tarbs on the phone the other week. Always nice to speak with another aths nut - and in this case one I hadn't spoken to for a few years.

AdelaideGT

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
The excitement of knowing the first of the swimming event will be TV in just over 2 hours time is tempered by the fact it will be commentate by Basil Zempilas :(

Ian Thorpe & Cate Campbell will at least bring some actual knowledge to the commentary but Basil will be sadly speaking far, far more.. :(

Luckily in athletics, we'll have a dream team of Bruce McAvaney, Dave Culbert and Tamsyn Manou :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AdelaideGT

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Finally Australia won a medal at the World U20 Championships with Calab Law taking a bronze in the 200m.

Sadly another strong chance - the boy's 4x100m - was eliminated in the heats when Aidan Murphy took off too early and wasn't able to take the baton.

The Aussies had looked great until then and were clearly leading the field (which included the USA) and looked likely to smash the Aussie record. They might have gotten even better in the final with Calab Law likely to be added into the team.

The team has had plenty of finalists and PBs but traditionally we have gotten a bunch of medals at each championship. Guess it's just not our year.

Finally Australia won a medal at the World U20 Championships with Calab Law taking a bronze in the 200m.

Sadly another strong chance - the boy's 4x100m - was eliminated in the heats when Aidan Murphy took off too early and wasn't able to take the baton.

The Aussies had looked great until then and were clearly leading the field (which included the USA) and looked likely to smash the Aussie record. They might have gotten even better in the final with Calab Law likely to be added into the team.

The team has had plenty of finalists and PBs but traditionally we have gotten a bunch of medals at each championship. Guess it's just not our year.
I saw that Law did a PB of 20.42 in the SF and was 0.01 off Murphy's U/20 record of 20.41 from a few months ago. His 20.48 in the final was into a 1.0m wind, the SF had a 0.1m tail wind. Its been a great 3 weeks for Calab as he set a PB of 20.50 at the world champs in Eugene.

GT, the Botswana guy Leslie Tobogo broke 20 seconds in the heat, ran a 19.99 and set a championship record and won the silver medal in the same time as gold medallist at 19.96. When I saw his heat time I looked up the Eugene world champs 200m results as I thought he ran there and broke 20 seconds there, but he didn't go. I know there was a Botswanan junior who ran a very impressive time in the sprints in Eugene. The more I think of it, it might have been a female. Do you have any idea who I am thinking of?

Or is my mind playing tricks on me, and its a Bostwanan junior at the Comm Games has done something special.

Last edited:
Tebogo did go. He set a junior 100m WR in the heats but ran a bad semi and didn't make the final.
Ok that's right it was the 100m not 200m. His heat time beat his altitude world junior record as well as Bromell's sea level world record from 2014.

He broke it again winning the gold in 100m a couple days ago in Cali. 9.91 vs 10.02 for the silver medallist is a big margin for 100m.

Here you go imadodgyumpire you started this thread to track things for Paris, well watch out for Botswanan Letsile Tebogo in Paris. Not saying he will win but he might make a big statement to the world and sprinting focus might move a little from western African heritage athletes to southern African heritage. He will be 21 then. Did a 100m PB of 9.91 for gold and 200m PB of 19.96 for silver at these World Junior champs, so he produced at a big meet.

Bolt got silver in the Osaka World Champs a week after his 21st birthday in 2007 and a week or two before his 22nd he shocked the world in Beijing, having only seriously been running 100m for a few months and broke both 100m and 200m world records.

I have been trying to watch the athletics from Birmingham and listen to live radio call on World Athletics competition website, but no finals are on when I have done so. AdelaideGT is there a live stream of Cali on the World Athletics site or are you watching via other streaming service?

EventRecordAthleteNationalityDateMeetPlaceAgeRefVideo
100 m9.97 (+1.8 m/s)Trayvon Bromell
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
13 June 2014NCAA Division I ChampionshipsEugene, United States18 years, 338 days[2][1]
9.96 A (+1.9 m/s) [a]Letsile Tebogo
23px-Flag_of_Botswana.svg.png
Botswana
30 April 2022Gaborone International MeetGaborone, Botswana18 years, 331 days[3][4]
9.94 (+1.1 m/s)Letsile Tebogo
Botswana
15 July 2022World ChampionshipsEugene, United States19 years, 42 days[5]
9.91 (+0.8 m/s)Letsile Tebogo
Botswana
2 August 2022World U20 ChampionshipsCali, Colombia19 years, 60 days[6]

Last edited:

AdelaideGT

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
s there a live stream of Cali on the World Athletics site

You need to use a VPN and set it to another country (I'm using Indonesia) and then visit the YouTube channel of World Athletics. If you don't set it to outside Australia the live stream will not display (as happened to me when I'd turned off the VPN as i was watching some 7plus stuff last night and I got a bit confused).

If you set your VPN to Indo and visit the site now, even though there is nothing live on, you will probably be able to see full replays of every session.

The above method is also useful for watching Diamond League meets live instead of Foxtel/Kayo (Luxembourg & Indonesia or New Zealand my countries of choice this year - it can vary due to the rights for a particular meet).

Another example of following someone for Paris. From last weekend.

Olympic champion Jess Fox has bolstered her medal haul, winning gold and silver on the final day of racing at the canoe slalom world championships in Germany.

The record-breaking Australian successfully defended her world title in the extreme slalom event after coming second in the women's canoe earlier in the day. Fox edged Great Britain's Kimberley Woods while Andorra's Monica Doria Vilarrubla claimed the bronze medal.

Extreme canoe slalom will premier as an Olympic event at the Paris 2024 Olympic Games and with back to back world titles, Fox is firming as the favourite.

The Olympic C1 champion was pipped in that event by less than one second by German Andrea Herzog while Great Britain's Mallory Franklin rounded out the podium.

Those three paddlers were the medal winners at the Tokyo Olympics, although Fox then beat Franklin for gold.

The performances brought her overall world championships medal tally to three after already winning silver in the women's kayak on Saturday. "It's been an amazing weekend here in Augsburg," Fox said.

What is Extreme Canoe Slalom?
Extreme slalom first appeared on the ICF’s World Cup program in 2015, and since then the growth has been phenomenal.

Athlete numbers have been increasing every season, more and more tv networks are showing the races live, and there’s plenty of enthusiasm for the sport to one day be part of the Olympic program.

Extreme slalom is a combination of all canoeing’s white water disciplines, with competitors racing in identical plastic creek boats. The excitement begins from the very start, with four competitors sliding off a ramp more than two metres above the water and splashing onto the course as one.

The slalom event has finished see results at;

2022 ICF Canoe Slalom World Championships - Wikipedia or

And on Wednesday in Canada the Sprint Canoe ie flat water world champs started and finishes on Sunday (Canadian time) ie kayaks and canoes. This even has para canoeing so I guess Kurtis Marshall will be there.

Last edited:
Get to meet Letsile Tebego in the second video below so you are aware of him when Paris hits.

Had to put up the video of his 100m win from the other day first. Look at him 20m out giving it to second placed Jamaican Bouwahjgie Nkrumie. Very Bolt like in dominating but having a bit of fun.

Australia won 2 events 2 silver and a bronze at the 30 event 2022 Slalom Sprint Canoe World Champs last weekend in Canada.

I was looking to see which events are in Paris as the wiki page for the world champs says certain events that were in Tokyo wont be in Paris.

Found this about the general changes in Paris;

In accordance with the recommendations of the Olympic Programme Commission, features of the Paris 2024’s Olympic programme include:
  • Exactly 50 per cent male and female participation, following on from the gender equality already achieved for Tokyo 2020, which will have 48.8 per cent female participation.
  • Growth of mixed gender events, from 18 to 22, compared to Tokyo 2020.
  • Reduction in the overall athlete quota (including all new sports) to exactly 10,500.
  • Reduction in the overall number of events, with a final programme of 329 events. [There were 339 events in Tokyo]
That same page said this about canoeing;

The Executive Board of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) have approved the event programme for the Paris 2024 Olympic Games.
Changes to the canoeing event programme will see men’s and women’s extreme slalom included in the Paris 2024 canoe programme. The addition of the new discipline in the Olympic schedule will not require any extra athlete quotas, with many of the canoe slalom competitors likely to contest the extreme competitions.

With the IOC confirming no additional medals, the introduction of extreme slalom will see the canoe sprint programme reduced from 12 events to ten.

The IOC accepted the canoe sprint programme proposal from the International Canoe Federation confirming that the men’s and women’s K1 200m will not be contested in Paris.

Under the changes, the men’s K2 1000m and C2 1000m will both become 500 metre events.

There will be K4 500m races for both men and women. [ie unchanged]

The K1 and C1 1000m events for men, and K1 and K2 500m for women remain unchanged.

The women’s C1 200m and C2 500m, which will be raced at an Olympics for the first time next year in Tokyo, also remain unchanged for Paris 2024.

At the world champs Oz won medals in the following 2024 events

van der Westhuyzen and Green won Oz's only sprint canoe medal in Tokyo - Gold in the K2-1000m and this has been changed to 500m for Paris. These guys were surprise gold medallists in Tokyo and were only 23 and 22 respectively and are expected to be around and peaking for LA in 2028 and maybe even get to Brisbane.

Other medals were won in non Olympic classes

Men K1-500m Silver to Jean van der Westhuyzen this was an Olympic event 1976-2008, Ken Wallace won in 2008,Nathan Baggaley silver 2004 and the fantastic John Sumegi won silver in Moscow.
Wom K1-1000m Gold Alyssa Bull .......................... this has never been an Olympic event
Mix K2-500m Gold Alyssa Bull and Jackson Collins... this has never been an Olympic event

Of the 8 other events for Paris
In the 4 Canoe events ie M C1-1000m and C2-500m + W C1-200m and C2-500m there were no Oz competitors entered.

In the men's blue riband event of K1-1000m - which goes back to 1936 Olympics and which Aussie Clint Robertson won in 1992 (and bronze in 1996) after Aussie Grant Davies was announced as the winner in 1988, but 10 minutes later it was taken away after judges reviewed the photo and said the US kayaker had won by 0.005 sec which was estimated at 1/2cm - Tom Green finished 4th after finishing 7th in Tokyo. In the Olympics there are 8 finalists and 7 of them were in the 9 man final last weekend, with only the Olympic silver medallist missing as he didn't attend the World Champs. Green improved from being 7.5 secs from gold and 5.6 secs from bronze to 2.5 secs and 1.2 secs respectively.

Men's K4-500 was 3rd in B Final so effectively 12th.

Women's K1-500 Alyssa Bull 5th
Women's K2-500 no Aussie competitors.

AdelaideGT

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Though there are no Aussies, the European Athletics Championships are on at the moment.

A free live stream (no VPN required) is available at All Athletics

Morning session playing right now. Finals won't be at convenient times for Aussies but the above link features full replays of events as well as some highlights packages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back