Summer Olympic Sports in between Olympics thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched almost everything there was to watch at the European Championships. Some truly awesome performances and some memorable results.

Warholm returning to top form winning the 400m hurdles. Great to see.

Femke Bol just dominating winning 3 gold, 400m, 400m hurdles and 4x400m relay. Incredible. She is majestic to watch and her showdowns with McGlaughlin are going to be amazing. I wonder what you guys think about her chances of competing and winning the 400m come world championships and Olympics? Obviously her pet event is the 400m hurdles but you’d fancy her chances at the 400m.

Keely Hodgkinson always a pleasure winning the 800m.

Womens 100/200m with insane finishes, as was the mens 110m hurdles.

Lisa Mayer is someone I’ve followed closely for a while. Had injury heartbreak for Tokyo so was so good to see her win gold in the 4x100m and to see her so emotional after, that’s what sport is about.

Duplantis doing what he does best. No stopping him.

Ingebrigtsen with the double, what a freak.

Really enjoyed that.

Watched almost everything there was to watch at the European Championships. Some truly awesome performances and some memorable results.

Warholm returning to top form winning the 400m hurdles. Great to see.
I'm jealous. Didn't know it was on and don't have Foxtel - I assume it was on Eurosport. Will have to dig around on Youtube.

Femke Bol just dominating winning 3 gold, 400m, 400m hurdles and 4x400m relay. Incredible. She is majestic to watch and her showdowns with McGlaughlin are going to be amazing. I wonder what you guys think about her chances of competing and winning the 400m come world championships and Olympics? Obviously her pet event is the 400m hurdles but you’d fancy her chances at the 400m.

Shaunae Miller-Uibo, bloody hate when women are stars add their hyphen married name, just keep it to Miller for athletics. is the best 400m runner since Freeman, and probably better than Freeman and second only to Perec when you eliminate the 3 drug fuelled East Europeans of the 1980's. Miller is 28, and won in Rio when she was 22 which is Bol's age and 27 last year in Tokyo.

In Paris it will be the 30 year old vs the 24 year old. Assume Miller isn't injured, then I think for Bol to beat her, has to ditch the hurdles. probably at the end of this year but definitely after the 400m hurdles at the World Champs in Budapest next year at the latest. She has to find at least half a second to beat Miller IMO.

To put it in perspective, Miller ran 49.44 to win in Rio, at age 22, 48.36 in Tokyo at 27 and 49.11 to win in Eugene. Bol won on the weekend with a 49.44 which is her PB. Miller ran 48.37 at Doha World Champs in 2019 when she was 25 and finished 2nd to Salwa Eid Naser who ran a 48.14 but has done nothing since because she was banned for missing 4 drug tests - notifying whereabouts she was to authorities. She is a Nigerian turned Bahamanian.

I think its easier for Bol to find half a second in the flat 400 compared to finding over a second, maybe 1.5 to match McLaughlin over the sticks. I dont think she can do both and win one of them. Plus you have to look at the schedule to see if its doable. Dont know what it is for Paris but in Eugene it was;
400m heats Sunday, SF Wednesday Final Friday
400m H heats Tuesday, SF Wednesday, Final Friday

Its probably why Mclaughlin has only run a couple of 400 flat races since 2019, because her 50.68 in the hurdles in Eugene was good enough to get her 7th in the flat final. That run over a flat 400 probably would have been 2.0 to 2.5 seconds faster.

Bol ran a 52.27 for a SB for silver in Eugene and 52.03 PB in Tokyo for Bronze and her 400 flat last week was a PB in 49.44, gives you an idea what Mclaughlin could drop as much as 2.5 sec if she concentrated on the flat race.

I'm jealous. Didn't know it was on and don't have Foxtel - I assume it was on Eurosport. Will have to dig around on Youtube.

Shaunae Miller-Uibo, bloody hate when women are stars add their hyphen married name, just keep it to Miller for athletics. is the best 400m runner since Freeman, and probably better than Freeman and second only to Perec when you eliminate the 3 drug fuelled East Europeans of the 1980's. Miller is 28, and won in Rio when she was 22 which is Bol's age and 27 last year in Tokyo.

In Paris it will be the 30 year old vs the 24 year old. Assume Miller isn't injured, then I think for Bol to beat her, has to ditch the hurdles. probably at the end of this year but definitely after the 400m hurdles at the World Champs in Budapest next year at the latest. She has to find at least half a second to beat Miller IMO.

To put it in perspective, Miller ran 49.44 to win in Rio, at age 22, 48.36 in Tokyo at 27 and 49.11 to win in Eugene. Bol won on the weekend with a 49.44 which is her PB. Miller ran 48.37 at Doha World Champs in 2019 when she was 25 and finished 2nd to Salwa Eid Naser who ran a 48.14 but has done nothing since because she was banned for missing 4 drug tests - notifying whereabouts she was to authorities. She is a Nigerian turned Bahamanian.

I think its easier for Bol to find half a second in the flat 400 compared to finding over a second, maybe 1.5 to match McLaughlin over the sticks. I dont think she can do both and win one of them. Plus you have to look at the schedule to see if its doable. Dont know what it is for Paris but in Eugene it was;

Its probably why Mclaughlin has only run a couple of 400 flat races since 2019, because her 50.68 in the hurdles in Eugene was good enough to get her 7th in the flat final. That run over a flat 400 probably would have been 2.0 to 2.5 seconds faster.

Bol ran a 52.27 for a SB for silver in Eugene and 52.03 PB in Tokyo for Bronze and her 400 flat last week was a PB in 49.44, gives you an idea what Mclaughlin could drop as much as 2.5 sec if she concentrated on the flat race.
https://athletics.eurovisionsports.tv/championships/ea-munich-2022

Has every replay (including heats). A shame that the intro to each replay basically gives away the result.

You should have read my post in this thread lol (bottom of previous page).

It was a great meet to watch live. Some great performances and an amazing atmosphere.
Didnt see it until Sunday arvo during footy half time break. I assume they finished Sunday arvo/night but I quickly read the post after seeing the date you posted, and read your no VPN required as VPN required so didnt bother looking at link.

Will have a look at link Wallaby put up tomorrow night sometime

Very, very interesting. So essentially Bol is roughly where Miller-Uibo was at the same age. So I guess it comes down to whether she will focus on the 400m or attempt to do both. As you have highlighted, attempting to do both will really impact her chances with such a packed schedule. I think she enjoys the hurdles too much to give that up, even if that is a lesser chance at Olympic gold. Femke May just be unlucky that she’s in the same era as McLaughlin, but I do think that’ll continue to drive her.

What are your thoughts on the 100m hurdles champion Pia Skrzyszowska? Almost half a second slower than the WR time from Eugene, but she was super impressed. Only 21 too; wonder what times she’ll be achieving by Paris.

Amazingly entertaining 'street competition' for the first night of the Diamond League final in Zurich.

Even if there were no Australians competing, it's a brilliant spectacle.

But there are Australians competing - and one is called Nina Kennedy...

If you want to watch this you need to use a VPN and set it to a country like Indonesia or Ireland and then click on the link - clicking on the link from an Australian IP will show nothing.

Oh - and more Australians competing in day two of the DL final - this time inside the stadium - in about 12 hours time.

That's why they run it. Why enter a hilly course when you can only run maybe 3 a year?

And he did it.

Now to see where Lisa Weightman might finish - they have hardly shown the women so far.

Looks like Lisa ran 2-24.07 - more than a minute better than her PB. Not too bad for a 43yo mum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First time in 55 years that a new Australian best for the men's marathon has not also been a world best time.

Two of tnose three world/Aussie bests set during that time were also run at Fukuoka.

That's what I was thinking too. Also is it normal to wait 4 months between the Sample A test and the Sample B test? Can a prohibited substance disappear within the sample in that time?
Samples can sit for a lot longer than 4 months without deteriorating. Often it takes more than 4 months just for the A sample to be tested.

Oh wow. This is crazy. I’m so shocked and so disappointed.

If he’s not guilty, then how does this happen?

Cliffs:
EPO testing isn’t super fantastic (but he’s probs still guilty)

Last edited:
As someone involved in athletics, i'm shattered about this. He came across as a genuine good bloke as well - anyone that hasn't listened to his interview on the Howie games i'd recommend you put it on.

I hope it's a false positive but every single athlete that tests positive seems to come out and deny it outright.

Cliffs:
EPO testing isn’t super fantastic (but he’s probs still guilty)

Have read the study when not half asleep.
Assuming (and it’s a pretty big one tbh) they used the same sampling/testing methods as ASADA/WADA;
95% chance it’s a true positive.
If his secondary analysis is positive it’s a 100% chance it’s a true positive.
If his secondary analysis is negative then I’m not sure as the study doesn’t report on that (that I found)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back