Olympics Field Hockey Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys, just watched that fantastic match vs Korea. Terrific skills they show with the sticks, very impressive sport that i havent watched much of previously

Just one question though... I noticed the field is divided into 4 sections... do these lines have any bearing on the game, or are they simply for show? I get the circles, but not the other lines

Cheers in advance :)

The halfway line marks halfway, funnily enough, and each team has to be in their own half at the start (and re-starts after goals).

Once you're into the last quarter of the field (ie the bit with the circle in it), a serious infringement by the defence can be penalised with a penalty corner. Any infringement within the circle also means a penalty corner. (That's the one where the attacking team hit the ball from the baseline to the top of the circle while the defenders start from inside the goal - don't remember actually seeing any in the Aus-Korea game, actually, but if you watch some more games you'll see what I'm talking about.)

The halfway line marks halfway, funnily enough, and each team has to be in their own half at the start (and re-starts after goals).

Once you're into the last quarter of the field (ie the bit with the circle in it), a serious infringement by the defence can be penalised with a penalty corner. Any infringement within the circle also means a penalty corner. (That's the one where the attacking team hit the ball from the baseline to the top of the circle while the defenders start from inside the goal - don't remember actually seeing any in the Aus-Korea game, actually, but if you watch some more games you'll see what I'm talking about.)
In addition to that, I think a goal can only be scored from inside the circle (commonly known as 'the D' due to its shape).

Penalty corners are mad when they come off.

In addition to that, I think a goal can only be scored from inside the circle (commonly known as 'the D' due to its shape).
Yes. In yesterday's game they went to a video replay for one of Australia's goals (the 4th I think it was?). That was because the ball was actually put into the goal by a Korean player. If no Australian player had touched the ball inside the circle before it went in, that wouldn't have counted as a goal.

certain positions can only go to certain parts of the field. Not everyone is allowed in the circle for example.

Not true, anyone can go anywhere. The only restriction is on goalkeepers - if they leave the circle they can no longer use their feet or body to play the ball, they become stick only like everybody else.

Yes. In yesterday's game they went to a video replay for one of Australia's goals (the 4th I think it was?). That was because the ball was actually put into the goal by a Korean player. If no Australian player had touched the ball inside the circle before it went in, that wouldn't have counted as a goal.

Not true, anyone can go anywhere. The only restriction is on goalkeepers - if they leave the circle they can no longer use their feet or body to play the ball, they become stick only like everybody else.

never used to be.
i was a back at one stage and i could not go in the circle for my end.

never used to be.
i was a back at one stage and i could not go in the circle for my end.

I don't remember that ever being a rule (and I was playing back when we started the game with a bully!). Indeed, in mens hockey at least, the fullback is often the one who comes up to hit on the penalty corners.

Was it maybe a local thing, or for juniors to stop everyone just following wherever the ball went?

I don't remember that ever being a rule (and I was playing back when we started the game with a bully!). Indeed, in mens hockey at least, the fullback is often the one who comes up to hit on the penalty corners.

Was it maybe a local thing, or for juniors to stop everyone just following wherever the ball went?

I played womens hockey, in Qld and in Vic. I played centre mostly or left wing. did a stint at fb for a while there, which i hated.

found this online
http://www.hockeywa.org.au/uploads/pdf/JnrPosPlayDraft5.pdf

Thanks for your answer...

I understand the corner, and the scoring from inside the 'D', it was just the lines that had me :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Channel 7 did their best to ruin the coverage, constantly taking ads, always coming back after we had just scored...

Anyway, Dwyer has just suffered a corked thigh! How good is Eddie Ockenden? Freakish talent! :eek:

if dwyer just has a corkie he could be right by finals, doesnt look likely tho, he looked pretty smashed up.
yeah, gold not looking too likely without the worlds best player.

if dwyer just has a corkie he could be right by finals, doesnt look likely tho, he looked pretty smashed up.
yeah, gold not looking too likely without the worlds best player.

Official word was that it was a corkie. Will miss next match and struggle for the third. Good news considering we'd all thought he's severely injured his hip. The Dwyer is the pinnacle of Men's hockey and a delight to watch, but for all round abilty you can't go past Mark Knowles for mine. Such a good player.

Eddie Ockenden is the NEXT BIG THING! Saw him play for Tassie against Vic two years ago and bloody hell he was good and so young too. Bastard.:D
Kid's a magician.

Kookaburras playing South Africa in 8:30am start. Currently live on Channel 7.

Australia have scored in the 2nd minute.

Currently Australia lead 1-0 after 5 minutes of play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back