Summer Olympics Jumping the Shark

Remove this Banner Ad

WUSHU its was a demo sport whether the IOC will admit it or not.
It wasn't part of the official IOC program. They allowed a tournament to be run at the same time. Same happened in Rio with an esports tournament. But neither were given the status of an official demonstration sport.

My bad re my previous post that 1988 was the last Olympics with an official demonstration sport. it was 1992 at Barcelona that Taekwondo was still a demo sport.

Last edited:

Football definitely should go, anything that has a event that is more prestigious to win should be taken away.
Off the top of my head Hockey is the only team sport that should stay, Rugby 7s has potential that was one of the highlights of Rio.
Sports like soccer, tennis, golf GTFO though.

Football should def stay, its one of the most popular event at the games.
Plus its great seeing Brazil fail every Olympics.
Field hockey.... way less important.

Call me a *******, but I reckon the Olympics should be held at the same venue, somewhere in Greece, every 4 years. Maybe one of the Greek islands perhaps. That way they can invest in some infrastructure that will be used more than once, and build up a bit of history about that particular place. I think with the number of events held it is way too costly for some city to spend billions each time to build one-use facilities. Look up pictures of some of the facilities used for Athens, Bejing or Rio, and see what has become of all the money spent. It is a waste of money they way things are currently done. Now I see QLD are going make a bid.

Call me a *******, but I reckon the Olympics should be held at the same venue, somewhere in Greece, every 4 years. Maybe one of the Greek islands perhaps. That way they can invest in some infrastructure that will be used more than once, and build up a bit of history about that particular place. I think with the number of events held it is way too costly for some city to spend billions each time to build one-use facilities. Look up pictures of some of the facilities used for Athens, Bejing or Rio, and see what has become of all the money spent. It is a waste of money they way things are currently done. Now I see QLD are going make a bid.
I'll call you a ******* but I think you are pretty much on the mark.

Just saw the Queensland announcement on the news, they are all having a laugh. With some of the s**t that comes out of the mouth of John Coates, he is near the top of my s**t list at the moment.

John Coates has ALWAYS been near the top of my s**t list - certainly in the sporting area. Some of his drivel over the years about Governments making Olympic sports compulsory in schools, and forced talent identification (yes, just like the Chinese and East Germans) was breathtaking. I seriously think he would have been happy if we banned all non-olympic sports like football, netball and cricket (you know - those sports millions of kids play for fun).

I have said it once and I'll say it again. Why does Australia keep putting it's hand up to host the Olympics? The NSW and Federal Governments did not have much spare change out of $2.5 billion after Sydney for the sake of throwing a 16 day long party for 11,000 athletes, some 4000 support staff, Olympic officials and delegations. Have any of Sydney's venues been used to their capacity regularly since the Games in 2000? Even the Sydney Olympic Stadium is about to get an $810 million re-build ($200 mil more than what it cost to originally build) to reduce its capacity to 70,000 and to reduce its playing field.

Consider the costs associated with staging the games:

- Sydney 2000 ($2.5 billion)
- Athens 2004 ($5.5 billion)
- Beijing 2008 ($40 billion)
- London 2012 ($14.8 billion)
- Rio de Janero 2016 ($13.2 billion)

Consider Brisbane with its creaking infrastructure, traffic jams, lack of Olympic class stadiums and venues; The Capital City of Australia's most indebted State that is being regularly ravaged by natural disasters is hardly going to get out of hosting the Games for anything less than at least $25-$27 billion by 2032. What are they thinking? Can Queensland seriously not find better things to spend $25-$27 billion on? Perhaps some pipelines to shift water from the coast to the outback towns and stations might be a good place to start?

Consider whether any city in Australia can seriously afford such folly. Even Melbourne which is embarking on the biggest infrastructure building program in Australasia to build $70 billion worth of roadways, new railway lines, removing crossings as well as the new hospitals and schools that will be needed to cope with its projected 6.3 million people by 2032 would be out of the mix for at least another 40 years.

Why is Australia always the bunny that sticks its hand in the air to host what is essentially a two-week long piss-up for the sports world's clingers on?

It makes no sense and the politicians and those pushing for the Games ought to be held to account.

People forget though he still had to race well enough to get into the finals.
Well they all fell in his semi too

People forget that in the 2 previous olympics he was favorite to win the 1000m and was tripped in one and illegally pushed over in the other.

Then he broke his neck in 2000, so to even be at the 2002 olympics was a fair effort.

But considering his history if anyone deserved a gold it was him.

Brazil - ghost stadium and swimming venues
170201100710-maracana-abandoned-6-months-on-olympics-brazil-2016-world-cup-pele-shasta-darlington-pkg-00001025-exlarge-169.jpg

images

Athens.

Beach volleyball
image.jpg

Swimming
images

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which stadium is that supposed to be?

That was Maracana Stadium in 2017, only 6 months after the Olympics. The stadium management went bankrupt and couldn't pay the bills for electricity or water. The stadium was closed to the public and vandals moved in.

The lease has since been sold to a private developer in and re-opened in 2019. It was looking a bit grim there for a while.

That was Maracana Stadium in 2017, only 6 months after the Olympics. The stadium management went bankrupt and couldn't pay the bills for electricity or water. The stadium was closed to the public and vandals moved in.

The lease has since been sold to a private developer in and re-opened in 2019. It was looking a bit grim there for a while.
Flamengo and Fluminense play home games there in the Brasilian Serie A comp, but also in other comps. They got 68,165 in a Rio State League derby grand final game on 7 May 2017, so I don't think it was dire for all of 2017.

Some of Flamengo's home games were moved away in 2017 but not all. They played all 19 Serie A home games there in 2018.

The Port Board has a Brazilian member who is a fan of Port and Flamengo (used to live in Rio, worked on both the 2014 WC and 2016 Olympics and now is in Portugal) as well as another Brazilian who is a Port and Gremio fan (used to live in Porto Alegre now moved towards the border with Argentina to Uruguaiana and I had some brief conversations with them about the Maracana a couple of years ago. A derby game is on my sports bucket list.

Last edited:
Flamengo and Fluminense play home games there in the Brasilian Serie A comp, but also in other comps. They got 68,165 in a Rio State League derby grand final game on 7 May 2017, so I don't think it was dire for all of 2017.

Some of Flamengo's home games were moved away in 2017 but not all. They played all 19 Serie A home games there in 2018.

The Port Board has a Brazilian member who is a fan of Port and Flamengo (used to live in Rio, worked on both the 2014 WC and 2016 Olympics and now is in Portugal) as well as another Brazilian who is a Port and Gremio fan (used to live in Porto Alegre now moved towards the border with Argentina to Uruguayana) Uruguaiana and I had some brief conversations with them about the Maracana a couple of years ago. A derby game is on my sports bucket list.

OK, maybe that wasn't such a good example, so we can drop that off the list. But there's lots of others going around, winter and summer Olympics, from bobsled tracks to baseball stadiums to kayak courses. Lots of wasted money on facilities abandoned after the games, and plenty more underutilised. In recent years it seems only Sydney and London have gained benefit out of building infrastructure with a deliberate eye to post-games use, lots of the rest just spent the money to look good on TV for two or three weeks.

Where do they build the main stadium?? The Gabbatoir is landlocked.
If the plan is like Subiacos redevelopment then the political party pushing that option has been quietly buying up all the property around with the expectation of selling it to the government via compulsory acquisition when they sign off on the project.

Then the other people get in and move the plan to another site.

Where do they build the main stadium?? The Gabbatoir is landlocked.
If they really wanted to expand the Gabba they could put Stanley Street and/or Vulture Street in an underground tunnel and the buy/compulsory acquire buildings around the Gabba but especially on the Stanley Street side.

That 12 or so story building on the NW corner that overlooks the Gabba probably means they wouldn't expand northward. I guess the real question is do they expand the 42,000 capacity via temporary stands or make it permanent 75-80,000 seater?

I suspect once they do the detailed costing of all the alternatives they will look for a green field site.

They could also do what they did at Rio for the first time ever and will also be happening at LA 2028 games, and split the ceremonies stadium from the athletics stadium.

Rio used the Maracana 78,000 seater for the opening and closing ceremonies and took the soccer ground that Brasilian Serie A Botafogo plays at, which has an athletics track around it, and increased the stadium capacity of 47,000 to 60,000+ with temporary stands for the athletics.

LA will host the opening and closing ceremonies at the to be completed Los Angeles on Hollywood Park stadium (expected mid 2020 before NFL season starts) which can host 100,000 and the athletics like 1932 and 1984 Olympics will be at the LA Coliseum capacity after a recent upgrade is about 78,000. It could seat about 93,000 before the current renovations.

If the plan is like Subiacos redevelopment then the political party pushing that option has been quietly buying up all the property around with the expectation of selling it to the government via compulsory acquisition when they sign off on the project.

Source?

Not a bad idea. Would help with tourism if people can look up reviews and know they'll get the same 4 years later. If national governments ever stop paying for the Olympics it's what would happen. In the meantime however not much incentive for the IOC to change what they do.

Not a bad idea. Would help with tourism if people can look up reviews and know they'll get the same 4 years later. If national governments ever stop paying for the Olympics it's what would happen. In the meantime however not much incentive for the IOC to change what they do.

Yeah, the IOC have done quite a little number on this gig, selling a burdensome things as symbol of prestige and modernity. They are outshone only by FIFA...

She didn't respond because she's lying.
Actually just saw it, I usually have bulk notifications and on the phone they all go away when from you click on one.

I was told this by an ALP member way back around 2010 so theres nothing I can do to show you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back