Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard2

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2012
Around
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
They've forfeited games this year anyway. You could say this way is fairer as its even for everyone, with the teams they forfeited against missing out this year.
Your not getting the point its not about the "fairness " of the reserves competition it is about the financial loss each club will face during that home game with Corowa not fielding a reserves team. loss of gate fewer sales of food and drink etc yet their payments for that day will only drop minimally. Why should the other 9 clubs suffer a financial loss to benifit Corowa

Gee Dub

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 19, 2010
Albury
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ravens, Rabbitohs, Rockets, Everton
Your not getting the point its not about the "fairness " of the reserves competition it is about the financial loss each club will face during that home game with Corowa not fielding a reserves team. loss of gate fewer sales of food and drink etc yet their payments for that day will only drop minimally. Why should the other 9 clubs suffer a financial loss to benifit Corowa

Yeah. But they forfeited three times already this year. How is it fair this year on the teams that missed out on the gate, food etc that you're talking about while most of the others get to operate as normal when they can field the full complement.

They could just forfeit every game next year, like they have at times this year. What would be the difference?

Blizzard2

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2012
Around
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah. But they forfeited three times already this year. How is it fair this year on the teams that missed out on the gate, food etc that you're talking about while most of the others get to operate as normal when they can field the full complement.

They could just forfeit every game next year, like they have at times this year. What would be the difference?
Exactly its not fair on those clubs if Corowa forfeited in their away games. I'm fairly sure it is written in the league rules that clubs are not allowed to forfeit reserves matches. Yet the league now has extremely weak management. I read in BM the AFL Vic are for this proposal “The outcome here is about trying make sure Corowa footy is sustainable and viable,” yet they are making Corowa "sustainable and viable" at the financial expense of the other clubs in the competition.

Blizzard2

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2012
Around
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Exactly its not fair on those clubs if Corowa forfeited in their away games. I'm fairly sure it is written in the league rules that clubs are not allowed to forfeit reserves matches. Yet the league now has extremely weak management. I read in BM the AFL Vic are for this proposal “The outcome here is about trying make sure Corowa footy is sustainable and viable,” yet they are making Corowa "sustainable and viable" at the financial expense of the other clubs in the competition.
I have nothing against Corowa and I hope they survive this but all I am saying is it shouldn't come by putting a financial burden on the other nine clubs in the OMFNL

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's a good point you're making. The League apparently charge the clubs a big amount to host home games but now there will be a minimum of 42 players plus their family/friends/partners attending each game. This could mean Albury only get a total of about 90 people attend their home games now.
This also lessens the value of what some people would get if they pay $12 at the gate and like to watch all three games.
I do note though that Corowa want to play their juniors on the same day but that won't benefit every side when Corowa is the away team.
There is no doubt the league ignored the warning signs for too long and are now paying the price. Is this the start of the end?

Relton7

Rookie
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Scrap the reserves all together i say. Corowa not the only ones struggling to fill a side week to week. It's not great footy. have U16's, U18's and seniors. Let the players who don't get a game play for there chosen local club. As they do in the VFL.

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
One problem with scrapping the twos is that players who get sent out to the bush when they miss out on a senior game will quite possibly enjoy the experience of playing for Jindera instead of being a fringe O&M player. Then they'll be lost to the club altogether.

Last edited:

Go Richo 12

Senior List
Oct 27, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
One problem with crapping the twos is that players who get sent out to the bush when they miss out on a senior game will quite possibly enjoy the experience of playing for Jindera instead of being a fringe O&M player. Then they'll be lost to the club altogether.
And grassroots football where small towns come back to life and players enjoy football again will live forever.

Relton7

Rookie
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
One problem with crapping the twos is that players who get sent out to the bush when they miss out on a senior game will quite possibly enjoy the experience of playing for Jindera instead of being a fringe O&M player. Then they'll be lost to the club altogether.

So instead they can stay at their club e.g. Albury. And continue to be a fringe player, play with a different bunch of blokes each week and occasionally get the four points via a forfeit. Perfect...

Macgyver

Team Captain
Dec 1, 2004
Wangaratta
AFL Club
Collingwood
The salary caps in the Hume, O&K, Piccola leagues ect should be dropped by 20k. So they return to being the trash leagues where only blokes who arent good enough for O&M and/or blokes who are getting abit old go to play. If you take away the means to poach good up and comming players from the 2nds, you would see the depth in the O&M replenished in only afew years.

Sadly the people involved in these crap leagues would have a real carry on if you did it. Because they have become delusional enough to think they are actualy the big show.

full on the fence

Team Captain
Nov 20, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
The salary caps in the Hume, O&K, Piccola leagues ect should be dropped by 20k. So they return to being the trash leagues where only blokes who arent good enough for O&M and/or blokes who are getting abit old go to play. If you take away the means to poach good up and comming players from the 2nds, you would see the depth in the O&M replenished in only afew years.

Sadly the people involved in these crap leagues would have a real carry on if you did it. Because they have become delusional enough to think they are actualy the big show.

Totally disagree with you labelling the minor leagues "crap", what leagues did you play in ??
But i do agree with the salary caps being a lot less for the "minor" leagues than what they are. Alot of these clubs cant raise the finances to support the salary caps, and small towns are losing there identity and having to merger with neighbours therefore it is getting more and more of who ever pays the most money wins. A Bloke getting $700 in a minor league is just crazy, if he is that good to be getting that coin he should be playing O&M

Macgyver

Team Captain
Dec 1, 2004
Wangaratta
AFL Club
Collingwood
The minor leagues are for blokes who want to have a kick but arent up to O&M standard or are too busy/lazy to train twice a week. When the O&K was just that it was crap footy.

To make this theory work it would obviously have to be state wide and id say make the minimum payments higher in the better leagues, so the money doesnt just get spent in the top end of lists.

full on the fence

Team Captain
Nov 20, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
The minor leagues are for blokes who want to have a kick but arent up to O&M standard or are too busy/lazy to train twice a week. When the O&K was just that it was crap footy.

To make this theory work it would obviously have to be state wide and id say make the minimum payments higher in the better leagues, so the money doesnt just get spent in the top end of lists.

I believe the O&K was a far better standard 10 or so years ago, when Rutherglen, Beechworth & Chiltern were all in it, but that debates for another forum.

You could have tiers say a Major, Minor and small ranking state wide and rank the league. O&M, GV & Murray league would be Major, Tallangatta, Hume Minors and O&K small. Not sureif it would help, but money is definately the reason so many clubs a re merging or folding

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood

I totally agree with the salary cap suggestion but not the crap league bit.

navyblueman

All Australian
Dec 9, 2009
North east
AFL Club
GWS

Macgyver you have just demonstrated your complete lack of understanding and appreciation of country footy and netty clubs.

These so called "Crap leagues" have often got a stronger family connection and atmosphere than your "professional O&M clubs". These clubs are the lifeblood of rural communities and their sustainability is so important to do many people. And good up and coming seconds players often decide to head out to

As far as returning to the "trash leaves they were" the district leagues were probably stronger 10- 15 years ago, remember Both Lappin's were recruited directly from chiltern in the O&K in 1994, neither played in the great Ovens and Murray Fnl.

As far as being delusional and thinking they are the big show.....you might want to look a bit closer to home for an example of that sort of thinking. What are O&M ranked currently? 6th? 7th best league in Vic, yet still thinking they are the next best league outside of the VFL.

I believe the O&K was a far better standard 10 or so years ago, when Rutherglen, Beechworth & Chiltern were all in it, but that debates for another forum.

You could have tiers say a Major, Minor and small ranking state wide and rank the league. O&M, GV & Murray league would be Major, Tallangatta, Hume Minors and O&K small. Not sureif it would help, but money is definately the reason so many clubs a re merging or folding

Reducing the salary cap by $20k (its $70k now) wouldn't stop clubs going after fringe Ovens and Murray players, it would just mean they get paid less to come out.
Your O&M Salary cap is already double the amount of district leagues. How much more do you want in your favour? Maybe your clubs should stop spending $2k a game on imports and play the locals kids, might solve your depth issues.

CurryMagic

Cancelled
Dec 2, 2015
2008 AFL GF, 5 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Showtime Lakers are back
Macgyver you have just demonstrated your complete lack of understanding and appreciation of country footy and netty clubs.

These so called "Crap leagues" have often got a stronger family connection and atmosphere than your "professional O&M clubs". These clubs are the lifeblood of rural communities and their sustainability is so important to do many people. And good up and coming seconds players often decide to head out to

As far as returning to the "trash leaves they were" the district leagues were probably stronger 10- 15 years ago, remember Both Lappin's were recruited directly from chiltern in the O&K in 1994, neither played in the great Ovens and Murray Fnl.

As far as being delusional and thinking they are the big show.....you might want to look a bit closer to home for an example of that sort of thinking. What are O&M ranked currently? 6th? 7th best league in Vic, yet still thinking they are the next best league outside of the VFL.

Reducing the salary cap by $20k (its $70k now) wouldn't stop clubs going after fringe Ovens and Murray players, it would just mean they get paid less to come out.
Your O&M Salary cap is already double the amount of district leagues. How much more do you want in your favour? Maybe your clubs should stop spending $2k a game on imports and play the locals kids, might solve your depth issues.
Wish I could like this twice.

wizards

Cancelled
Nov 12, 2008
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Will never happen but a relegation system would be pretty sweet. Two winners of HFL& TDFL play off for a spot in the O&M

And as for 'crap teams' I'm sure a handful of these bush sides would beat the bottom three in the O&M

Go Richo 12

Senior List
Oct 27, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond

I reckon the only effect reducing the salary cap would have is clubs would be cheating it in larger amounts.

Macgyver

Team Captain
Dec 1, 2004
Wangaratta
AFL Club
Collingwood
Will never happen but a relegation system would be pretty sweet. Two winners of HFL& TDFL play off for a spot in the O&M

And as for 'crap teams' I'm sure a handful of these bush sides would beat the bottom three in the O&M

Ive actualy made many points for the second part of your post in the O&K thread. But the point is there are many players in the lower leagues who went for cash in thier early 20s when they had potential to be good O&M players.
If you starve what i have called the crap leagues of salary cap and make the minimum 100 for 2s and 200 for 1s in O&M. I feel alot more the talented players wont waste thier time in the bush, but will stick by their O&M club because the easy cash just wont be there to chase.
And under my proposal Corowa wouldn't have had over 5 years worth of good young players snaffled to Piccola and such comps....

P.S Glad Navy fired up just to prove the do gooder nonsense that country footy is up against. By the ratings O&M is the country big show (all the other leagues infront are merto except geelong) why do your mob play a round robin on another weekend???? Answer because AFL Vic dont think they are even worthy of the show.

wouldIlietoyou

All Australian
Dec 1, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Ive actualy made many points for the second part of your post in the O&K thread. But the point is there are many players in the lower leagues who went for cash in thier early 20s when they had potential to be good O&M players.
If you starve what i have called the crap leagues of salary cap and make the minimum 100 for 2s and 200 for 1s in O&M. I feel alot more the talented players wont waste thier time in the bush, but will stick by their O&M club because the easy cash just wont be there to chase.
And under my proposal Corowa wouldn't have had over 5 years worth of good young players snaffled to Piccola and such comps....

P.S Glad Navy fired up just to prove the do gooder nonsense that country footy is up against. By the ratings O&M is the country big show (all the other leagues infront are merto except geelong) why do your mob play a round robin on another weekend???? Answer because AFL Vic dont think they are even worthy of the show.

yep those darn do gooders especially those damn Picola League do gooders. Who do they think they are? We are the O & M we should be able to recruit their juniors they spent years developing for zero points because we are the O&M, we should have a huge salary cap advantage because we actually don't think we should have to work too hard in changing with the times because we are the O & M.
It's ok for us to recruit ex afl etc or metro league stars but stuff it why should those crap leagues even be able to think of recruiting our fringe players that we only think about when they leave??

We are the O&M we are the best and only worthy League in the country and so if we are struggling it must be the fault of them over there so we must change the rules to give us a big advantage.

How dare those do gooders argue for a fair deal to ensure they actually survive. Country Footy isn't about communities it's about us the O & M it's all about us.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

navyblueman

All Australian
Dec 9, 2009
North east
AFL Club
GWS

I promise you I'm no do gooder Mac, but what I have been at various times over the last 15 years is a player, offical and volunteer of my club, 3 things I don't believe you have ever been able to claim.

Paying a membership and drinking 15 tins on a Saturday doesn't make you an expert on country footy.

Ps.perhaps "My mob" the O&KFNL don't see the need to enter a pissing competition just to prove what we already know, we are a district league with a mix of quality players and the rest good honest players. Do think it would be sensible to enter our team into the AFL VIC comp at a cost of approx $20k just to travel 500km round trip every second year? I think we are all pretty happy with the local games against HFNL, TDFL and farrer. Lots of history between these leagues.

full on the fence

Team Captain
Nov 20, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton

I think it would because the minor league isnt going to have room in the cap to offer enough money for a good O&M players to move. They are still going to chase them but the offering of ridiculous money to fringe O&M players will stop

navyblueman

All Australian
Dec 9, 2009
North east
AFL Club
GWS
I think it would because the minor league isnt going to have room in the cap to offer enough money for a good O&M players to move. They are still going to chase them but the offering of ridiculous money to fringe O&M players will stop

I think you will find that that is starting to happen already, the going rate for a fringe seconds footballer from the O&M a couple of years ago was nudging $300 a game, now it's more like the $150-200. This will only continue to come down as clubs are having to become more responsible.

Further to macgyvers point about being a minimum $100 for reserves and $200
For seniors to keep them at O&M level and reward the locals...........what's stopping that from happening now? Nothing except the clubs are choosing to spend thei budget elsewhere. I'd love to hear of macgver nominating for the Wang committee in 2018 and taking charge of the football department spending.

Macgyver

Team Captain
Dec 1, 2004
Wangaratta
AFL Club
Collingwood
Navy, i never said you and other administrators of the lower leagues dont do a good job. You provide a platform for blokes of our ability to have a kick on the weekends.
What im saying is that money from lower levels is drawing people away from a standard of footy most parents would prefer to see thier sons to have a crack at. I for one am alot prouder of my mates getting a game of O&M 1s, then i am of mates playing lower league rep footy. Just because you know they are taking the softer option that is made appealing mostly by the lure of bush cash.

Also you have no idea of any voluntary and fundraising activities that i partake in so lets leave the personal stuff till Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back