Betstar Champions Cup Om season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The standard was ok, if you didn't have the scoreboard you would have thought Wang were up by 10 goals, that's how dominant they were. The Magpies best players in the first half were Hyde and Mackie and also the big chf for Albury who didn't touch the ball for 3 qtrs to the kick 3 with his 3 touches, he looked soft, timid and out of his depth! Another massive issue was Albury wanting to argue with the umpire, the ruckman and polo were the biggest culprits and both were soundly beaten as well. The Magpies were brilliant, I had Kelly as my BOG, but wasn't shocked at Newton getting it and there was 2-3 others who could have been in the running........ now the biggest problem for yesterday was the crowd, very disappointing for a beautiful day. But $20 to get in and bugger all parking with all the new developments may have had something to do with that...... and for anyone who says they didn't go because Albury was so dominant missed out on the opportunity to see a champion team beat a team of champions.

Really well summarised. Kelly broke a tag, as did Dylan Van Berlo. Newton's eight was probably too hard to look past though.

Well done to Magpies. Needed a fast start and got it. All kudos to them. Was a bewildering day for Tigers IMO, right from the time their banner went up. Everyone knows their Achilles heel is their undersized back half, to play McIntosh instead of Dower meant Daly always had to leave a key post to ruck which exposed their size even further. Very surprising. Dower would also have given them some physicality which was also surprisingly missing. Blomely without a role was also hugely exposed. I thought Whittlesea and Boudignon were outstanding and agree Kumar was very ordinary. O'Hara was clearly Tigers best, he gave the closest umpire a fearful spray after the siren, guess he's not only a poor winner...

Newton well and truly deserved the medal. A 4 goal first term really gave Wang a super head start and early belief and then 2 goals late to seal the game. He was great when the moments required someone to stand up.

I thought Matt Kelly was the difference in the last quarter, Albury had picked up momentum and he bounced back and would of had 5 clearances out of the middle. Everyone knew Newton had to step up and did exactly that. Amazing achievement by Wang, they have done exactly what was needed for the good of football in our area. Jamie Allen to the pies next year?

I didn't get to see the Albury banner, but there was plenty of chat amongst the people near me on the hill. I got the general idea it was them telling us that they promote juniors. Does anyone know exactly what it said?

As for the crowd. Very ordinary, but not surprising. Most local footy people I've spoken to who used to always go to the GF, don't go anymore because they don't want to see Albury play. Had the game been between Wang and any other club they would've had 10,000+ in my opinion. I guess we won't know for certain until we see a GF without them in it, lots hope that's sooner than later.
$20 to get in is a joke too.

See in the Border mail, the attendence was some 6200..with a 51k gate.
. thats poor ,,, and if it was 20 bucks a head entry fee,,, well theres some of the problem....
Didnt I see the Hume league Grand Final the other week had a 41k gate at 10 bucks a head,,, so does that mean there was a bigger crowd at the Hume League GF ,, !!!!!!

To add,, The Murray league has had gates of 60k plus over the past 3 years ... with a dominant club, be it Nathalia ( whom yesterday won the flag) have won 8 flags in the past 15 seasons,,, And go to the GVFL ,,, Kyabram ,,, dominant over the past 5 seasons ( whom today won another flag ) ,,, I dont know the attandence but I think it would be similiar to previous years around the 8000 mark .
I believe entry fees are 10 bucks at all these leagues GFs....
Also proves the theory wrong , if there is a dominant club winning GFs ,, crowds drop.
So what is the problem !!!!... Firstly 20 bucks entry fee is a joke ...
Maybe the GF should be moved to Wangaratta in 2018 !!!!

I thought Matt Kelly was the difference in the last quarter, Albury had picked up momentum and he bounced back and would of had 5 clearances out of the middle. Everyone knew Newton had to step up and did exactly that. Amazing achievement by Wang, they have done exactly what was needed for the good of football in our area. Jamie Allen to the pies next year?

Allan isn't the only rumour circulating either.
Players have already been in contact with Stoney about next year.

Blomely without a role was also hugely exposed.

Blomeley started the game on Matt Kelly in what i suspect was a tagging role (That went well...)

On another note: Both Porters retiring for Wangaratta, Whittlesea probably back off to Adelaide to try his hand at SANFL, a couple of other question marks will also need to be signed soon if the Magpies are to sustain this success.

For a team that hadn't played finals since 2011, to adapt and execute like that was awesome.

Say all you want about the fitness of Albury's stars, you can only play the team selected. Wangaratta trusted their depth through the season and all the emergencies were on standby, on the same page and ready to go.

What a game. What a result. i dare say there would be about 2000 people asking themselves; why didn't we go?

To add,, The Murray league has had gates of 60k plus over the past 3 years ... with a dominant club, be it Nathalia ( whom yesterday won the flag) have won 8 flags in the past 15 seasons,,, And go to the GVFL ,,, Kyabram ,,, dominant over the past 5 seasons ( whom today won another flag ) ,,, I dont know the attandence but I think it would be similiar to previous years around the 8000 mark .
I believe entry fees are 10 bucks at all these leagues GFs....
Also proves the theory wrong , if there is a dominant club winning GFs ,, crowds drop.
So what is the problem !!!!... Firstly 20 bucks entry fee is a joke ...
Maybe the GF should be moved to Wangaratta in 2018 !!!!
15 dollars entry and 5 for a program at the Gvfl granny.

See in the Border mail, the attendence was some 6200..with a 51k gate.
. thats poor ,,, and if it was 20 bucks a head entry fee,,, well theres some of the problem....
Didnt I see the Hume league Grand Final the other week had a 41k gate at 10 bucks a head,,, so does that mean there was a bigger crowd at the Hume League GF ,, !!!!!!

$51k gate at $20 means only about 2500 people paid where the rest of the money for the other 3700 crowd
6200 x $20 should be closer to $120k gate

Gate takings are not a true indication of the crowd attendance due to a number of factors on game day .. eg ... students under 15 , pensioners, club members , etc etc ,, that dont have to pay entry fees... so a lot of crowd size becomes a estimate ...
Lavington ground has turnstiles , thus everyone that enters the ground ia accounted for ... so I dont argue 6200 was the crowd, but it is a very poor number in comparsion to the past few years ....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would suggest a fair few locals that do not generally follow the O&M but attend the GF thought it was going to be on the Sunday.

I would love to see a pre-season knockout competition where these district clubs could also nominate to enter. Have a bit of a prize at the end $$
The comp needs a bit of a shake up and something new, this idea couldn't hurt.

I would love to see a pre-season knockout competition where these district clubs could also nominate to enter. Have a bit of a prize at the end $$
The comp needs a bit of a shake up and something new, this idea couldn't hurt.

The Central Murray used to do a night series pre season comp which was a great success. Clubs from all of the leagues in the region were able to nominate. It was played in 2 divisions with each club guaranteed 3 games of 2 x 20min halves. A final was played in each division for the highest ranked sides in each. I loved playing it and the crowds, particularly the Friday nights were great

The Central Murray used to do a night series pre season comp which was a great success. Clubs from all of the leagues in the region were able to nominate. It was played in 2 divisions with each club guaranteed 3 games of 2 x 20min halves. A final was played in each division for the highest ranked sides in each. I loved playing it and the crowds, particularly the Friday nights were great

Barooga Sports club have been running a similiar pre season comp for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back