Betstar Champions Cup OM season 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m asking the same question on a few forums as a conversation starter.
Do you think the Country League officials would consider pushing the season into November/December if we were able to get a start in June or July?
Grounds and Cricket would be an issue but can anyone see a way that could work?

I’m asking the same question on a few forums as a conversation starter.
Do you think the Country League officials would consider pushing the season into November/December if we were able to get a start in June or July?
Grounds and Cricket would be an issue but can anyone see a way that could work?

Why would we? I don’t think footy and cricket can be played at the same time

Wodonga bulldogs need to merge with wodonga saints and join the tallangatta league. They had the weakest o&m side I’ve ever seen last year and will be absolutely useless when footy does start back up. Thurgoona can take their place. No need for two wodonga teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mentioned in another thread about cutting players payments to only a select few in the district leagues rather than the over payment now seen in local footy. Seems Yarrawonga president thinks no one should be paid at O&M level for a few years, not sure you will find many umpires doing it for nothing though.

Mentioned in another thread about cutting players payments to only a select few in the district leagues rather than the over payment now seen in local footy. Seems Yarrawonga president thinks no one should be paid at O&M level for a few years, not sure you will find many umpires doing it for nothing though.

Pity we can't open it.

I like the idea. At the very least it would be great to get everyone in a room and say for the sake of country footy, let’s pay everyone $100 per game and no cheating the cap. Country Footy won’t survive if we go back to excessive spending.

I like the idea. At the very least it would be great to get everyone in a room and say for the sake of country footy, let’s pay everyone $100 per game and no cheating the cap. Country Footy won’t survive if we go back to excessive spending.

Good idea , but how do you get every club in every competition doing this ,,, near impossible .... not to mention the behind the scenes deals like , direct payments to the mortage or the rent ,, car loan or personnel loan, fuel ,,,,the list goes on

Good idea , but how do you get every club in every competition doing this ,,, near impossible .... not to mention the behind the scenes deals like , direct payments to the mortage or the rent ,, car loan or personnel loan, fuel ,,,,the list goes on
I get where you are coming from. Definitely no guarantees.
I just have a feeling that clubs are now at breaking point and I think 95% of them are desperate to be able to play within a tighter budget and wouldn’t cheat any more.

I get where you are coming from. Definitely no guarantees.
I just have a feeling that clubs are now at breaking point and I think 95% of them are desperate to be able to play within a tighter budget and wouldn’t cheat any more.
Don’t think we will be seeing Garlett in the yellow and black or many Melbourne based players for a few years. It will be glaringly obvious if clubs are cheating the cap.

Agree, the point Im getting at is a club obeys the salary cap limit, even is well below it , but isnt really because they are doing the old bron paper deals that does not have to involve cash but transactions like I mentioned in my last post

Agree, the point Im getting at is a club obeys the salary cap limit, even is well below it , but isnt really because they are doing the old bron paper deals that does not have to involve cash but transactions like I mentioned in my last post
You’re right, it is near impossible to police clubs giving out other incentives outside of the cap, there are always loop holes like (employing players and over paying them in their day jobs ect.) In the circumstances I think all clubs will be keen to just play footy and keep a good strong competition thriving therefore they should all abide with what ever is implemented.
I can’t speak for leagues outside of this region but I think tdfl,o&m,hfl are all well run strong leagues and will be fine if all clubs do the right thing. Also need players to get on board and not be greedy.

Pity we can't open it.

Here are the main bits.

Yarrawonga president Ross Mulquiney has floated the prospect of nobody in the league being paid for at least a few years in the wake of the coronavirus crisis.

It comes after AFL North East Border regional general manager John O'Donohue suggested leagues slash their salary caps by 50 per cent, as outlined in The Border Mail on Saturday.

The O and M has a salary cap of $160,000.

"AFL Victoria and the AFL need to think about whether football clubs can ever pay," Mulquiney said.
"(It might be) whether or not we've all got to not pay, umpires, players, everyone has to think about a couple of years of not getting paid."

"Five of our top six sponsors are currently closed, the only one which is still open is Kennedy's Builders," he said.
"The O and M's major sponsor is the SS&A Club, it's not open.
"How are we going to raise the money we need to raise? How do we cut costs? A lot of our costs are fixed, the insurances aren't going to change, the cost of getting a ground prepared isn't going to change.
"There's one big ticket item where we can make a saving, but that's going to take real leadership and we've got to drive that leadership."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back