Certified Legendary Thread O'Meara? Oh yeah.

daniel23

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is the biggest trade in the clubs history even bigger then the croad deal. If o'meara gets back to his best we have recruited our future captain. If he can't which ithink he is 50/50 we have killed our future by doing so by giving up a quality kid and early pick. We already have Burton who comes with a longevity risk also.

I had not realised in o'mearas second year he had patella tendinitis and for the majority of the year couldn't train

This is the biggest trade in the clubs history even bigger then the croad deal. If o'meara gets back to his best we have recruited our future captain. If he can't which ithink he is 50/50 we have killed our future by doing so by giving up a quality kid and early pick. We already have Burton who comes with a longevity risk also.

I had not realised in o'mearas second year he had patella tendinitis and for the majority of the year couldn't train
When you're up the pointy end of the ladder and you want to stay there, you have to be prepared to take risks, which is why we gambled on Garlett. We can either stay safe and recruit vanilla players as we slide down the slippery slide to mediocrity, or we can go hard and roll the dice on players who have that injury risk to them but could be superstars. I think we're doing this right.

Just thinking if GCS decide to really play hardball with us and demand way overs for JOM...

Are we able to trade with Essendon for their first pick in the pre-season draft, just like we can swap picks and players in the national draft? Just wondering... :cool:

When you're up the pointy end of the ladder and you want to stay there, you have to be prepared to take risks, which is why we gambled on Garlett. We can either stay safe and recruit vanilla players as we slide down the slippery slide to mediocrity, or we can go hard and roll the dice on players who have that injury risk to them but could be superstars. I think we're doing this right.

So you're saying we could be Collingwood or we could be Hawthorn. I pick Hawthorn.

Mar 19, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Dallas Cowboys
I hope sis comes back in the team this week, has a great game, kicks the sealer (again) and puts to bed this talk of trade . I think he has genuine star quality in the making and he would be a player that would give us nightmares in the future if he was playing for the opposition.

On F3115 using BigFooty.com mobile app
About 8 minutes into the 2nd this week please.

HawkMongrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MVFC, Aston Villa
Don't worry about O'Meara, just trade Breust,get rid of him and all problems solved.

CommentPhotos.com_1406633191.jpg

Aug 13, 2006
Thailand
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks.

You could say most of the above in reference to the way we play our football too; so why should the club have different agendas for on and off the field?

We now have two more, albeit, potential at this point in time, superstars to replace Mitch and Hodge, and they will attract other quality players to our club.

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This guy had a similar injury to O'Meara and has just returned after 2 years on the sidelines.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-g...-for-the-giants-in-his-first-game-in-700-days

He was out slightly longer due to Calf and Groin strains. The American doctors reporting on his injury at the time said that Petalla tendon injuries are as hard to recover from as ACL's (12 months plus another 6 rebuilding confidence and fitness, like whitey and shoey showed) but tend to have less long term issues (like bailey, schwartz and co had).

And we all know Gold Coast have not been great with their rehab, playing him with the soreness, abblett's shoulder issues.

MadDawg

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2006
Counting cups
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The greatest team of all!
Just thinking if GCS decide to really play hardball with us and demand way overs for JOM...

Are we able to trade with Essendon for their first pick in the pre-season draft, just like we can swap picks and players in the national draft? Just wondering... :cool:

You're proposing a 'Super Duper Veal Deal'.

I like where your minds at but I dont think so.

But I have a feeling Essendon are going to do us a solid this trade period for helping them get pick 5 for Carlisle.

You're proposing a 'Super Duper Veal Deal'.

I like where your minds at but I dont think so.

But I have a feeling Essendon are going to do us a solid this trade period for helping them get pick 5 for Carlisle.
That's what I mean. If GCS are going to be unreasonable, then screw 'em, we'll pick JOM up with Essendon's number one pick. As you've pointed out, they do owe us from Carlisle after all...

MadDawg

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2006
Counting cups
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
That's what I mean. If GCS are going to be unreasonable, then screw 'em, we'll pick JOM up with Essendon's number one pick. As you've pointed out, they do owe us from Carlisle after all...

"picks in the pre-season drafts cannot be traded between clubs."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFL_pre-season_draft

I'm suggesting they will help in other ways, maybe being involved with trading other assets to get the deal done.

fieval

Senior List
Apr 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Would a club bother using a PSD pick to get a player who doesn't want to be there?
I remember Luke Ball went into the PSD when Pies and Saints couldn't get a deal done, and he went at pick 30 to the Pies.
I can't recall another instance, although I have vague memories of Choco Williams threatening a Port player with the Pre Season Draft if a trade couldn't be done that suited Port. (Not sure if he followed through with that though...)

MadDawg

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2006
Counting cups
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Would a club bother using a PSD pick to get a player who doesn't want to be there?
I remember Luke Ball went into the PSD when Pies and Saints couldn't get a deal done, and he went at pick 30 to the Pies.
I can't recall another instance, although I have vague memories of Choco Williams threatening a Port player with the Pre Season Draft if a trade couldn't be done that suited Port. (Not sure if he followed through with that though...)

Ball went into the National Draft not PSD.

Nick Stevens wanted to play for Collingwood but Carlton took him after Pelchen took a 'stand'.

Jade Rawlings wanted to play for Nth Melbourne but the Bulldogs took him after the infamous 'Veal Deal'.

Was that Nic Stevens the wifebeater?

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Nope. can't trade psd picks.

he would just go in the National draft with a big contract and not do medicals or meet its anyone else and we get him wiht our first pick.

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ball went into the National Draft not PSD.

Nick Stevens wanted to play for Collingwood but Carlton took him after Pelchen took a 'stand'.

Jade Rawlings wanted to play for Nth Melbourne but the Bulldogs took him after the infamous 'Veal Deal'.

Stevens second choice was Carlton and he made a deal to go there once the Pies deal fell through. Melbourne offered up pick 4 i think but he didn't want to go there.

So even he is not a case of a player going to a club he doesn't want to play for.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is there anything stopping JOM from going into national draft if GC play games?

GC would not waste a draft pick on pure spite and pick him up again and would any other club if it was known he would just ask to leave after a year?

He will get to Hawthorn. We will package together something decent and GC will have the option of taking something that strengthens their list or nothing at all.

Anyone thinking Bombers would help us get JOM if they had a shot at him in the PSD is dreaming, they would think they could convince him to go to them instead

MadDawg

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2006
Counting cups
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Stevens second choice was Carlton and he made a deal to go there once the Pies deal fell through. Melbourne offered up pick 4 i think but he didn't want to go there.

So even he is not a case of a player going to a club he doesn't want to play for.

Okay, well done.

They still weren't his 'preferred destination', so I think the point is still relevant.

Rawlings absolutely did not want to be a Bulldog.

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer

Can't trade PSD picks.

JOM can go into the ND, though, where he'd have nominated terms. Is another club going to draft him knowing he doesn't want to play for them, hasn't played for 2 years, and hasn't done a medical at their club? GC wouldn't be dumb enough to lose him for nothing and then use their first pick, and no one else would take the risk. 95% that he'd get to us that way. So the deal could reasonably be expected to be for our first pick and a sweetener that allows them to say they got value for him but doesn't cost us too much.

Back