Strategy O'Meara quits Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Rather wait and mortgage the farm to throw at Fyfe next year if we're going to go all out for a player.

Rather wait and mortgage the farm to throw at Fyfe next year if we're going to go all out for a player.
The danger is waiting for Dusty, Fyfe etc to come out of contract means we could very well miss out all together. Richmond go on an upswing and Dusty will re-commit. Fyfe will have every club in the land chasing him. Would be very difficult to put a compelling case together against the likes of Collingwood, Hawthorn.
Carlisle, Hurley is a prime example. A lot were calling for us to forget Jake and wait for Hurley, but of course he re-signed.

It's a hard one. I think I'm okay with letting 1 player go, or 1 first rounder for JOM, but not both

The danger is waiting for Dusty, Fyfe etc to come out of contract means we could very well miss out all together. Richmond go on an upswing and Dusty will re-commit. Fyfe will have every club in the land chasing him. Would be very difficult to put a compelling case together against the likes of Collingwood, Hawthorn.
Carlisle, Hurley is a prime example. A lot were calling for us to forget Jake and wait for Hurley, but of course he re-signed.

It's a hard one. I think I'm okay with letting 1 player go, or 1 first rounder for JOM, but not both
I agree with a lot of that post.
He who waits usually misses out.

Why not both? We've got about a 15% chance of getting O'Meara at a reasonable price that takes into account his injuries, and we'd have about a 20% chance of getting Fyfe next year even if we make the biggest offer, so it makes sense to take a swing at each of them.

Why not both? We've got about a 15% chance of getting O'Meara at a reasonable price that takes into account his injuries, and we'd have about a 20% chance of getting Fyfe next year even if we make the biggest offer, so it makes sense to take a swing at each of them.

I can certainly appreciate the logic of that. Certainly the 'reasonable price' for JOM is the question. For me, 2 x first rounders (this year and next) would be insane. However, if we get JOM, I'm thinking we'll lock up too much cap space to sign Fyfe, so I do see them as mutually exclusive to that extent.

To try and articulate my position further (buckle up for wall of text) - there are two main factors:

1) This year we've really exceeded expectations but we're by no means a destination club, so we'll have to pay some level of overs for A graders;
2) The AFL are going to exert pressure on the JOM trade to protect their plastic brand when dealing for JOM.

When I look at the above, that makes it look like big overs will be needed for us to trade in JOM just in terms of the trade dynamic.

Now, looking forward to next year - I think we can finish as high as 6th. We have a great development curve ahead of us with existing players - natural improvement from Acres, Dunstan, DMac, Gresh, Billings (a lot of potential upside for JB), Paddy (mainly just getting him on the park - if his first 10 mins against Richmond were anything to go by, he's going to be a monster). Carlisle in the team. Members only needs to play like he did this year and Brooose only needs to snag another dozen and we're right in the finals mix.

If we can snag an EF win, I'd say we're a destination club, particularly for someone in the ~24 - 26 age bracket (next year). We should look pretty tasty to Fyfe at that point, and I'm not sure that the AFL will really give a s**t where Fyfe goes.

So we have the benefit of being a more attractive destination, and we won't have Gill's finger on the scale either. In terms of contenders, I'm going to go that Sydney and Geelong at least won't have the cap space to seriously pursue Fyfe. Which, if he (Fyfe) is serious about getting into a premiership window (he'll be 26 by trade period 2017) means it'll be us against maybe 3 - 4 other clubs max. JOM on the other hand will have at least half the comp making enquiries.

And the danger of spending picks in 25-27 year olds just means they are 27-29 when we are a shot and quickly past it sometime into our era. You can have a couple - already Armi, Jack S, Jake are in that range - and then you add a couple of guys to that that consume our draft picks for the next two years and that's a skinny window of opportunity.

I had a good hard think about while i was watching the game and necking beers at a furious rate yesterday.
It mightve just beer the beer talking but i took in all the pros and cons and decided i want us to get JOM.:thumbsu: .
Imagine if he was fully fit and played every game next year.
Would almost guarantee finals, otherwise its only a toss of the coin

LOL

I can certainly appreciate the logic of that. Certainly the 'reasonable price' for JOM is the question. For me, 2 x first rounders (this year and next) would be insane. However, if we get JOM, I'm thinking we'll lock up too much cap space to sign Fyfe, so I do see them as mutually exclusive to that extent.

To try and articulate my position further (buckle up for wall of text) - there are two main factors:

1) This year we've really exceeded expectations but we're by no means a destination club, so we'll have to pay some level of overs for A graders;
2) The AFL are going to exert pressure on the JOM trade to protect their plastic brand when dealing for JOM.

When I look at the above, that makes it look like big overs will be needed for us to trade in JOM just in terms of the trade dynamic.

Now, looking forward to next year - I think we can finish as high as 6th. We have a great development curve ahead of us with existing players - natural improvement from Acres, Dunstan, DMac, Gresh, Billings (a lot of potential upside for JB), Paddy (mainly just getting him on the park - if his first 10 mins against Richmond were anything to go by, he's going to be a monster). Carlisle in the team. Members only needs to play like he did this year and Brooose only needs to snag another dozen and we're right in the finals mix.

If we can snag an EF win, I'd say we're a destination club, particularly for someone in the ~24 - 26 age bracket (next year). We should look pretty tasty to Fyfe at that point, and I'm not sure that the AFL will really give a s**t where Fyfe goes.

So we have the benefit of being a more attractive destination, and we won't have Gill's finger on the scale either. In terms of contenders, I'm going to go that Sydney and Geelong at least won't have the cap space to seriously pursue Fyfe. Which, if he (Fyfe) is serious about getting into a premiership window (he'll be 26 by trade period 2017) means it'll be us against maybe 3 - 4 other clubs max. JOM on the other hand will have at least half the comp making enquiries.

All perfectly reasonable.

Except it still all hinges on fyfe actually going somewhere, which is nowhere NEAR as likely as the danger/buddy/gaz/jaeger situations.

Other than a couple of cheeky words (which were quickly clarified) about 'looking at every option' (no doubt suggested by his manager as a good way of making sure freo don't forget just how valuable he is), fyfe really hasn't said or done much to indicate he's going anywhere.

I suspect (unless he really hated freo and/or ross) it would take close to double freos offer (money and/or years) to get him to consider leaving. (ala buddy)

And even then, he'd still probably knock it back and stay.

Would you still want fyfe if he cost 1.5mil for 10 years?

Cos that's what i think it would take to get a realistic SHOT at him.

Suddenly by comparison, jaeger doesn't look THAT much more risky, relative to cost.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon is such a scummy club with 0 morals.

"Pick 5 pick 5 pick 5"

PSD ONLY
Their official punishment may be over but their reputation is tarnished forever in a lot of peoples minds.
They should change the 'Don the Sash' catch cry to 'Don the Stain"

He also said that lolnorf are out of the race.
Apparently Swallow will be requesting a trade, so probs gearing up for that. They would never have been JOMs preferred destination anyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Back